Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    I Defended The Walls!WotBSWotBS

Ignore Jdvn1
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    There is surely a very dfferent spirit in new D&D than in the original games, D&D and AD&D.
    After considering this idea, what do you think it is that makes the spirit in each of the games different? Is it just the language of the text?
    Bring on the Funk.
    Talk hard.
    [spoiler]My internet connection sucks.[/spoiler]
    Wanna run a game? Try EN World's own PbP boards! It's loads of fun. Here are my games so far.
    Other stuff:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemrain
    - Kemrain the Medicated for Your Pleasure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemrain
    I pity the thread that talks about Mr. T.

- Kemrain the Sigged.
    [spoiler]Manamana.[/spoiler]
    Hey Houston EN Worlders! Interested in Getting together? Let's meet up and have lunch or something!

Father of the Game
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Tav_Behemoth

The remorhaz Creature Feature was Erol Otus's, I believe, since you thanked him for preliminary work on the monster in the acknowledgments to the Monster Manual. I'm particularly interested in its possible literary antecedent - Carter & DeCamp's "Lair of the Ice Worm" (published in Conan of Cimmeria) describes an artic worm called the remorla, which radiates cold whereas the remorhaz radiates heat. Might you be able to shed any light on the subject?
    Only Erol can answer that

Cheerio,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh

About Rincewind's Luggage (A short diversion)

Alan,

Thanks very much for the interesting comments. It makes me chuckle about the D&D influence on the stories, because the Lejendary Adventure game will soon have magic items of a sort not dissimilar to Luggage. Of course I have them as being very rare and coming in varying sizes and potencies.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdvn1
    After considering this idea, what do you think it is that makes the spirit in each of the games different? Is it just the language of the text?
    It is most difficult to pin down what gaves a game soul, and that's a major part of its spirit. the ability of the game designer and his dedication to the game are likely main components in giving a game soul. The way the subject is treated, the language in the text, the rules and mechanics form the spirit.

cheers,
    Gary

Scout (Lvl 6)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    The Perturbed Dragon

Ignore nerfherder
    Hi Gary,

It's good to see you posting regularly again - I hope your health continues to improve.

Firstly, I would like to thank you for inventing the hobby that has given me so much joy over the past 24 years. I really can't over-emphasize this enough.

Secondly, have you heard that you are #37 in this month's SFX magazine's list of top 50 greatest SF pioneers "the 50 men and women who have done most to shape the SF & fantasy landscape into what it is today"? To give you some context, wou were pipped to the #36 position by Bram Stoker, and came 4 positions higher than William Gibson.

In case you somehow missed this piece here it is:

Why?
    Roll 2dy, multiply it by ten million and you'll have the number of adolescent lives which have been enriched by Gary Gygax's handiwork - and the number of people beaten up for being "nerdy twats". When it emerged in 1974, Dungeons & Dragons must have bewildered many a traditional board-gamer. There was no final square here; no finite end. The rulebook was simply a loose template for the imagination of the players and their abiding Dungeon Master. Some bailed out when Advanced Dungeons & Dragons came along in 1979 and sorted the anally-retentive men from the boys, but the change in the world's axis had been made. Thinking was now encouraged, even if it meant you didn't get laid.

Finest Moment
    The Gelatinous Cube, which slithered around with the bones of its victims visibly hanging inside it. We like the Gelatinous Cube.

Did you know?
    Gygax's present-day interests include "bird-watching, fishing, walking and pyrotechnics". Okay there Gaz...
    Cheers,
    Liam

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Krieg
    Gary, it has been very generous of you to go out of your way and donate your time and effort towards answering the barrage of questions we have peppered you with over the past couple of years. This is probably a bit late in coming but...

Is there anything we as a community can do for you to return the favor?

If there is don't hesitate to ask.
    Chan eil saoi air nach laigh len

Hey Gary, just thought I'd post a more on topic question for you

Have there been any classes that you did not personally have PC's for? From what I have read you seemed to favor M-U's (Mordenkainen, Bigby), Fighters (Yrag), and Clerics (Riggby). I've never heard mention that one of your PC's was a thief (except for a Gnome Illusionist-Thief). Did you ever play a Paladin, Assassin or one of the Unearthed Arcana classes (Cavalier, Barbarian, Thief-Acrobat)?

Also, any thoughts on a favored class? Personally, I prefer Magic-Users but as I get older have a soft spot for straight up Fighters developing, and have always liked Thieves, a la Cugel and my namesake In fact, my first ever PC was a thief who met his demise in The Keep on the Borderlands

Gray Mouser

PS
    Sashimi? I've had it a few times. Quite good but I love sushi!

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by nerfherder
    Hi Gary,

It's good to see you posting regularly again - I hope your health continues to improve.

Firstly, I would like to thank you for inventing the hobby that has given me so much joy over the past 24 years. I really can't over-emphasize this enough.
    Howdy Nerfherder,

It is an honor to get such an accolade.

Secondly, have you heard that you are #37 in this month's SFX magazine's list of top 50 greatest SF pioneers "the 50 men and women who have done most to shape the SF & fantasy landscape into what it is today"? To give you some context, wou were pipped to the #36 position by Bram Stoker, and came 4 positions higher than William Gibson.

Cheers,
    Liam
    Whoa! That blows me away. Thanks, and I have not seen the zine, so this is a complete surprise to me. I'll have to go get a copy and see the exaulted company I am in. Meantime, ming passing alont who the top few are?

Ciao,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieg
    Gary, it has been very generous of you to go out of your way and donate your time and effort towards answering the barrage of questions we have peppered you with over the past couple of years. This is probably a bit late in coming but...

Is there anything we as a community can do for you to return the favor?

If there is don't hesitate to ask.
    Thanks, Krieg

I haven't been kidding at all when I have said it is my pleasure to post here, much like chatting with fellows. thanks to all of you for providing such a great forum and such a great community!

Best wishes,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser
    Hey Gary, just thought I'd post a more on topic question for you

Have there been any classes that you did not personally have PC's for? From what I have read you seemed to favor M-U's (Mordenkainen, Bigby), Fighters (Yrag), and Clerics (Riggby). I've never heard mention that one of your PC's was a thief (except for a Gnome Illusionist-Thief). Did you ever play a Paladin, Assassin or one of the Unearthed Arcana classes (Cavalier, Barbarian, Thief-Acrobat)?
    I've played all the demi-human races, so I've had characters in most classes, but as multi-classes ones. I had a great half-orc cleric/assassin, but he got wasted at third level or so. I did have a monk character for a short time too. Never played a paladin.

I have played a straight barbarian PC but no cavalier or thief-acrobat. By the time those classes got solidified, I had precious little gaming time...

You should see my Metamorphosis Alpha PCs--all either PSH or human mutant. the one with triple life leech is great fun when his "brothers" (Ernie's and Luke's similar PCs) are with him. there aren't even any vermin alive in an area after that trio hes been operating

Also, any thoughts on a favored class? Personally, I prefer Magic-Users but as I get older have a soft spot for straight up Fighters developing, and have always liked Thieves, a la Cugel and my namesake In fact, my first ever PC was a thief who met his demise in The Keep on the Borderlands

Gray Mouser

PS
    Sashimi? I've had it a few times. Quite good but I love sushi!
    Actually, I can usually have a good time playing just about any sort of character. The more complex ones, though, such as an m-u in AD&D, require in-depth rules knowledge. Thus they are reserved for game systems I know well and played only when I am in top form. Otherwise, the less complex sorts, such as a fighter, serve well indeed.

While I love sashimi, I don't care much for suchi because the rice and seaweed detract from the seafood IMO. My wife Gail agrees with you...

Cheerio,
    Gary

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast