Gary Gygax Q&A: part VII - Page 32

Scout (Lvl 6)

The Perturbed Dragon

Ignore nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by BOZ
    has he done any sci-fi?

and yes, HPL missing from that list is certainly astonishing.
    That's the fun of these lists, though - to discuss who they got wrong

The first name that sprung to my mind was John Wyndham.

To be honest, I was surprised to see Gary's name on the list. Not because I thought he didn't deserve to be, but because I didn't think that many people appreciated the influence he has had. Kudos to SFX!

Cheers,
    Liam
    Last edited by nerfherder; Monday, 14th February, 2005 at 09:09 AM.

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebeams
    Hi Gary,

It's great to read about the rules you're using in your personal D&D game (and in fact, I hope some enterprising fellow with web skills I don't have compiles them -- I'd like to try them out!).

My question is: How do you handle non-theiving, non-combat tasks? Do characters have an AD&D style trade profession, or has it just not come up?
    Heh...

When most of the play is action-based, there isn't much need to check on non-cmbat tasks. When needed, though, I do have a chack made against a stat, with such modification as I deem appropriate for the circumstances.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey
    Gary, I've noticed that Lejendary Adventure avatars start off more powerful than do AD&D characters, and the avatars don't accumulate as much power over time as do AD&D characters. How would the orders in LA, which all have 12 ranks, compare in terms of power to AD&D character levels? For example:

12th rank avatars roughly equal X-level AD&D characters
    11th rank avatars roughly equal y-level AD&D characters
    etc.
    Howdy Geoffrey,

that's a good question, and by that I mean a tough one. As an Avatar in the Lejendary Adventure game starts with about all the Health (hit points) he is ever goint to have, the only real comparison can be in success probability for an action. Even there, activations (spell casting) is not certain in the LA game. The addition od new skill bundles automatically or by choice also makes it difficult to equate one with the other. Without actual parallels in many places such a comparison must bE very general. Okay, I've hedged sufficiently to CMA

12th Rank = 4th level AD&D PC
    11th Rank = 5th
    10th Rank = 6th
    9th Rank = 7th
    8th Rank = 8th
    7th Rank = 9th
    6th Rank = 10th-11th
    5th Rank = 12th-13th
    4th Rank = 14th-15th
    3rd Rank = 16th-17th
    2nd Rank = 18th-19th
    1st Rank = 20th +

Cheerio,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyUematsu
    Gary, if you're willing to answer a question about console/computer games, could you enlighten us on what you think western (i.e. Baldur's Gate) and eastern (i.e. Final Fantasy) game developers really dropped the ball on when translating the D&D mechanics (which the majority of RPGs are based on) to the computer medium?
    Well Durn!

Seems I am not able to comment because I don't play any cmputer games. Before you or anyone else not familiar with why that's so asks, it is not because I don't enjoy them. It is because it is that I love them too much. If i start playing I will do nothing else for days and weeks, and I need to be productive. My youngest son, Alex, is my resident expert in regards computer and arcade games

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by francisca
    Agreed, with Fritz Leiber thrown in for good measure.
    I avoided mentioning what authors I'd add beynd the two giants in horror and swords $ sorcery. I agree that Fritz is a likely candidate, and Ray Bradbury and Jack Vance as well as Phil Farmer are also on my short list.

What about Edgar Rice Burroughs?!

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser
    Gah! And no Fritz Leiber???? What gives?!

Gray Mouser
    See above I knew Fritz fairly well, and he was a fine fellow. In truth he is not a important to the shaping of the genres as were Howard and Lovecraft.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser
    Isn't "life leech" a power from Gamma World? I've never played MA (although it sounds pretty cool from what you and others have said). Also, I assume PSH stands for "pure strain human", which, iirc, was also a GW race. Was there overlap between these games?
    MA was dne before GW, and IMO it was a much better game. The Blumes "helped" Jim Ward to revise his MA game for GW, and thus much good material was lost.

I know you designed a module for Gamma World, did you do any for MA? (I'm not even aware if there were any published scenarios!)
    No modules were written for MA, sad to say...

[/QUOTE]Oh, and if you want to share your PC character sheets for MA (or GW) feel free (re: "You should see my Metamorphosis Alpha PCs.." ).[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but no. I have them for my use when playing the game--although it has been almost three years since last I had the pleasure of visiting the Starship Warden with James M. Ward as Game Master.

[/QUOTE]Man, she's smart BTW, if you really want to enjoy sashimi or sushi I suggest getting a top quality sake to go with it. Brings out the flavor. A good Japanese beer will also do [/QUOTE]

Right-o! Cold saki out of a wooden drinking box is not something I recommend, though

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by BOZ
    astounding! i think i will make one of those for the next PC i make.
    Heh, Boz,

You'd never guess that I really had a lot of fun RPGing, eh? Or that i wasn't one who took myself or my PCs too seriously either...

Cheerio,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by nerfherder
    That's the fun of these lists, though - to discuss who they got wrong

The first name that sprung to my mind was John Wyndham.

To be honest, I was surprised to see Gary's name on the list. Not because I thought he didn't deserve to be, but because I didn't think that many people appreciated the influence he has had. Kudos to SFX!

Cheers,
    Liam
    Dude!

Hats off and make a leg when you are soeaking of me. After all, Sync Magazine ranked me #1 on their list of the 50 greatest all-time nerds!!!

BTW, John Wyndham, is a nome de plume, no?

Cheers,
    Gary

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Ignore eyebeams
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Heh...

When most of the play is action-based, there isn't much need to check on non-cmbat tasks. When needed, though, I do have a chack made against a stat, with such modification as I deem appropriate for the circumstances.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Thank you. Are these checks on 1d20? 3d6?

I'm thinking I might use a mix of your idea and the AD&D system. Maybe I'll give each character one "trade." Tasks where that trade applies are made with a 4d6 (roll under) check. If the character doesn't have the trade, it's 5d6 or impossible. Maybe at a high enough level you can choose a second trade or to jump to "Master" level, rolling on 3d6.

I'm also interested in the idea of using hit dice for checks (kind of like you did when you talked about orcs grappling a PC). I wonder what else I could apply that to? Lots of good ideas there.

Oh, one more question: The original rules talked about games using up to 20 players -- not a common thing these days! With that in mind, I can see why folks had treasure division agreements, callers and such. Did you run many games of this size? What was it like?

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast