Dervish of Sairundan

Knight Otu

First Post
(I'll post a similar thread on this class in House Rules, to get a few more opinions)
Well, I finally went and finished the first draft of my Dervish of Sairundan prestige class. It is loosely based on the dervish from Complete Warrior, but I did some extensive rewriting of the abilities (mostly toning down).
A number of abilities and requirements are for flavor, such as the Test, Song of the Storms United and the Song of the Blade. The flavor requirements (alignment, the special requirement and the test) of course are not meant to impact the balance of the class - they are there simply for a better tie to Sairundan.
I'm a bit concerned about the number of 1st level abilities, though I don't think that Songs of the Storms united will be a major point.
I'm also torn on the 6th and 10th level abilities that add the dervish's Dexterity bonus to damage dealt. They may be fine, considering they come pretty late in the advancement, but I'm not sure.
For the Test, I'd expect the DCs to be 15ish, +-2 according to the mood of the appropriate dervish.

Dervish of Sairundan
Be as the wind, listen to the storm, and care for the whims of your spirits as well as others. This is the the Path of the Dervish.
Sairundan, a land ruled by a loose federation of tribes, was supposedly founded by several djinn, who passed their knowledge and their blood to the mortals under their care. The legends of these times tell that many Sairundani forged alliances with the very winds, granting them great magical powers, tremendous speed, or enormous strength. However, as the era of the djinn ended, many of its secrets faded from the common knowledge of the tribes.
One of the few bits that still remind of that era is the Path of the Dervish. Taking the nomadic nature of their tribes to the extreme, dervishes strive to attain unity with the winds and the storms in the Dance of the Winds. They no longer are considered part of a single tribe, and they travel far and wide to aid all the tribes in need. Many take this a step further and travel all of the world, seeking new steps for their dances in exchange for their aid. The dervishes of Sairundan learn to follow their whims without harming their surroundings, and shape the winds as the winds shape the dervish, expressing their soul in songs. When two dervishes meet, they are as likely to start a training fight/dance as to start singing together to share their stories.
Most tribes send the young people who seem to be promising dervishes to meet several other tribes, but a few actually send them into distant lands, where they are supposed to pick up new knowledge and as a preparation for their new life as a dervish.
Fighters and rangers are the most common classes to live the path of the dervish. A few ex-monks, bards or rogues might also follow this path, but the martial requirements often discourage them. Other classes usually lack either the martial or the artistic aptitude required for the dervishes.
Hit Dice: d8

Requirements
To qualify to become a dervish of Sairundan, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus: +6.
Skills: Perform (Dance) 3 ranks, Perfom (Sing) 3 ranks, Tumble 3 ranks.
Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Two-Weapon-Fighting, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (scimitar).
Alignment: Neutral good, chaotic good or chaotic neutral.
Special: Must be from Sairundan, or be accepted by a Sairundan tribe as one of their own. Must pass the Test of the Fifteen Winds.
Test of the Fifteen Winds: To be accepted as a dervish, the aspiring character must impress a number of existing dervishes of his talents as a dancer, singer and athlete. Five dervishes gather, and the character must perform seperately his skills Perform (Dance), Perform (Sing) and Tumble. If at least three of the dervishes are impressed, the character can join the ranks of the dervishes, otherwise he must wait a month before he can take the test again. While dervishes normally travel far and wide, the best chance to gather the five dervishes needed for this test is in Sairundan.

Class Skills
The dervish of Sairundan’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at each level: 4 + Int modifier.
Code:
 [b]Level	Base Fort	Ref	Will AC	Special
	Attack	Save	Save	Save	Bonus
 	Bonus[/b]
1st	+1	+0 +2	+0	+1	Movement mastery, slashing blades, song of the storms united
2nd	+2	+0 +3	+0	+1	Fast movement +5 ft.
3rd	+3	+1 +3	+1	+1	Spring Attack, dervish dance 1
4th	+4	+1 +4	+1	+1	Djinni’s grace, [i]songs of the blade[/i]
5th	+5	+1 +4	+1	+2	Fast movement +10 ft.
6th	+6	+2 +5	+2	+2	Wind’s fury, dervish dance 2
7th	+7	+2 +5	+2	+2	Djinni’s boon
8th	+8	+2 +6	+2	+2	Fast movement +15 ft.
9th	+9	+3 +6	+3	+3	Dervish dance 3
10th	+10	+3 +7	+3	+3	Djinni’s gift, storm’s fury
Class Features
All of the following are class features of the dervish of Sairundan prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Dervishes of Sairundan gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.
AC Bonus (Ex): A dervish of Sairundan gains this bonus to Armor Class as long as he is wearing no armor or light armor and not carrying a shield. This bonus to AC applies even against touch attacks or when the dervish is flat-footed. He loses this bonus when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears any armor heavier than light, when he carries a shield, or when he carries a medium or heavy load.
Song of the Storms United (Su): When a dervish is affected by a bardic music effect or a similar ability, the dervish may attempt a Perform (Sing) check (DC 15 + required ranks in Perform for that ability). If he succeeds, he picks up the song, and can affect other allies just like the bard, but using his dervish levels and bard levels for level-based effects. The dervish can only relay a song if he has enough ranks in Perform to use the ability if he were a bard. For example, a 10th level dervish affected by an inspire greatness effect could inspire greatness in one of his allies with asuccessful Perform check (DC 27). If the dervish also has 2 levels of bard, he can inspire greatness in two allies instead.
The following bardic abilities can be used with this ability: Countersong, Inspire Courage, Inspire Competence, Inspire Greatness, Song of Freedom, Inspire Heroics. Other, similar abilities might be added to that list by the GM.
Movement Mastery (Ex): A dervish is so certain of his movements that he is unaffected by adverse conditions. When making a Jump, Perform (dance), or Tumble check, he may take 10 even if stress and distraction would normally prevent him from doing so.
Slashing Blades: A dervish treats the scimitar as a light weapon (rather than a one-handed weapon) for all purposes, including fighting with two weapons.
Fast Movement (Ex): At 2nd level and higher, a dervish gains an enhancement bonus to his speed. A dervish in any armor heavier than light or carrying a medium or heavy load loses this bonus.
Spring Attack: At 3rd level, a dervish gains the Spring Attack feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.
Dervish Dance (Ex): Beginning at third level, the dervish, may attempt to take an additional 5 foot step during a full attack by succeeding at a Perform (dance) check with a DC of 20. The dervish may not take two 5 ft steps in succession – they must be seperated by at least one attack.
Every three levels thereafter, the number of 5 foot steps the dervish can attempt to take increases by one, but the DC to succeed increases by 10. For example, a 6th level dervish could attempt to take two additional 5 foot steps during a full attack, the first requiring a DC 20 Perform check, the second requiring a DC 30 Perform check.
The dervish can not take 10 on the Perform check for this ability.
Djinni’s Grace: At 4th level, the dervish’s bond with the winds strengthens, granting him a +2 enhancement bonus to Dexterity.
Songs of the Blade (Sp): Upon attaining 4th level, the dervish gains the ability to dance with any slashing melee weapon and listen to its song once per day. From the song of the blade, the dervish can attempt to find out about any special abilities that the weapon possesses, as per the spell identify cast by a caster of the dervish’s class level. To use this ability, the dervish dances for 1 hour with the blade, and then must succeed at a Perform (Dance) check with a DC of 10 + the weapon’s caster level. If he succeeds, he gains insight into all magic properties of the weapon, including how to activate those functions (if appropriate), and how many charges are left (if any). If he fails by 9 or less, he receives no insight. If he fails by 10 or more, he receives false insight.
Just like identify, songs of the blade does not function when used on an artifact.
Songs of the Blade is the equivalent of a 1st level spell.
Wind’s Fury (Su): At 6th level, the dervish becomes one with the winds that guide his movements. He may add 1/2 his Dexterity bonus, rounded down, to the damage dealt by his melee attacks.
Djinni’s Boon: At 7th level, the dervish’s bond with the winds strengthens, granting him a +2 enhancement bonus to Charisma.
Djinni’s Gift: At 10th level, the dervish’s bond with the winds strengthens, granting him a +2 enhancement bonus to Strength.
Storm’s Fury (Su): At 10th level, the dervish literally becomes the winds that guide his movements. He may add his Dexterity bonus to the damage dealt by his melee attacks. This ability replaces Wind’s Fury.

Last edited:

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Knight Otu said:
Dervish of Sairundan

Good name that describes how the class fits into the world. Good background write-up to further emphasize their place.

Hit Dice: d8

This looks good.

Requirements[/size]

The combination of BAB, skills, and feats means that no one but a fighter will be eligible upon reaching 6th level. Also, some decent RPing requirements - enough to add flavor and not be a hassle.

The dervish of Sairundan’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at each level: 4 + Int modifier.

Looks alright.

AC Bonus (Ex): A dervish of Sairundan gains this bonus to Armor Class as long as he is wearing no armor or light armor and not carrying a shield. This bonus to AC applies even against touch attacks or when the dervish is flat-footed. He loses this bonus when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears any armor heavier than light, when he carries a shield, or when he carries a medium or heavy load.

What kind of bonus is this?

Song of the Storms United (Su): When a dervish is affected by a bardic music effect or a similar ability, the dervish may attempt a Perform (Sing) check (DC 15 + required ranks in Perform for that ability). If he succeeds, he picks up the song, and can affect other allies just like the bard, but using his dervish levels and bard levels for level-based effects. The dervish can only relay a song if he has enough ranks in Perform to use the ability if he were a bard. For example, a 10th level dervish affected by an inspire greatness effect could inspire greatness in one of his allies with asuccessful Perform check (DC 27). If the dervish also has 2 levels of bard, he can inspire greatness in two allies instead.
The following bardic abilities can be used with this ability: Countersong, Inspire Courage, Inspire Competence, Inspire Greatness, Song of Freedom, Inspire Heroics. Other, similar abilities might be added to that list by the GM.

Could you clarify this a bit? I think I've got an idea of how it works, but it seems really clunky... could just be me...

Movement Mastery (Ex): A dervish is so certain of his movements that he is unaffected by adverse conditions. When making a Jump, Perform (dance), or Tumble check, he may take 10 even if stress and distraction would normally prevent him from doing so.

Um... take 10 on tumble checks? And Perform (dance) checks, which are required for several abilities this class gains? This would be an alright ability, but I'd say quite a bit later - definitely not at 1st. Maybe 5th or 6th?

Slashing Blades: A dervish treats the scimitar as a light weapon (rather than a one-handed weapon) for all purposes, including fighting with two weapons.

Sounds good.

Fast Movement (Ex): At 2nd level and higher, a dervish gains an enhancement bonus to his speed. A dervish in any armor heavier than light or carrying a medium or heavy load loses this bonus.

Like a monk but with slower progression... alright.

Spring Attack: At 3rd level, a dervish gains the Spring Attack feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.

...I think that's alright. Spring Attack, IIRC, has a good number of prerequisite feats. However, (assuming going with a character that can get into this class the fastest) it's a comparison to a 9th-level fighter... and a 9th-level fighter could have Spring Attack no problem. Looks alright to me.

Dervish Dance (Ex): Beginning at third level, the dervish, may attempt to take an additional 5 foot step during a full attack by succeeding at a Perform (dance) check with a DC of 20. The dervish may not take two 5 ft steps in succession – they must be seperated by at least one attack.
Every three levels thereafter, the number of 5 foot steps the dervish can attempt to take increases by one, but the DC to succeed increases by 10. For example, a 6th level dervish could attempt to take two additional 5 foot steps during a full attack, the first requiring a DC 20 Perform check, the second requiring a DC 30 Perform check.
The dervish can not take 10 on the Perform check for this ability.

Looks alright. I like that you pointed out that you can't take 10 on this check - being able to do so would just be nasty.

Djinni’s Grace: At 4th level, the dervish’s bond with the winds strengthens, granting him a +2 enhancement bonus to Dexterity.
Djinni’s Boon: At 7th level, the dervish’s bond with the winds strengthens, granting him a +2 enhancement bonus to Charisma.
Djinni’s Gift: At 10th level, the dervish’s bond with the winds strengthens, granting him a +2 enhancement bonus to Strength.

All look alright to me. Considering that a character of these levels will probably be running around with plenty of stat-boosters, I don't see an issue with having some non-item bonuses to stats.

Songs of the Blade (Sp): Upon attaining 4th level, the dervish gains the ability to dance with any slashing melee weapon and listen to its song once per day. From the song of the blade, the dervish can attempt to find out about any special abilities that the weapon possesses, as per the spell identify cast by a caster of the dervish’s class level. To use this ability, the dervish dances for 1 hour with the blade, and then must succeed at a Perform (Dance) check with a DC of 10 + the weapon’s caster level. If he succeeds, he gains insight into all magic properties of the weapon, including how to activate those functions (if appropriate), and how many charges are left (if any). If he fails by 9 or less, he receives no insight. If he fails by 10 or more, he receives false insight.
Just like identify, songs of the blade does not function when used on an artifact.
Songs of the Blade is the equivalent of a 1st level spell.

This looks alright.

However, I'd be interested to hear the rationale on why this is in here - it doesn't seem to quite fit the flavor of the class, over all.

Wind’s Fury (Su): At 6th level, the dervish becomes one with the winds that guide his movements. He may add 1/2 his Dexterity bonus, rounded down, to the damage dealt by his melee attacks.

Sounds alright to me.

Storm’s Fury (Su): At 10th level, the dervish literally becomes the winds that guide his movements. He may add his Dexterity bonus to the damage dealt by his melee attacks. This ability replaces Wind’s Fury.

Sounds good.

-----

Over all, I would say that this is a relatively decent-looking class. :)

Before I give it a judging, though, could you deal with the clarifications I asked for - mainly the one concerning the earlier abilities.

nimisgod

LEW Judge
I'm also waiting for the clarifications GW asked for before I give it my decision. It's fortunate that GW provided an in-depth analysis of the dervish.

Personally, I find this PrC to be comparable to the Duelist. It's a little better in some ways (damage for example), but that's fine with me since I think that the duelist is a little on the weak side, damage-wise.

I want to add to the chorus that this is PrC that is very well-integrated into the setting. I commend the prereqs and even the names of the abilities.

By the way, the wording of the Song of the Blade seems iffy to me. Identify only reveals the weakest magickal properties of an item. I think you're thinking more of Analyze Dweomer.

You discern all spells and magical properties present in a number of creatures or objects. Each round, you may examine a single creature or object that you can see as a free action. In the case of a magic item, you learn its functions, how to activate its functions (if appropriate), and how many charges are left (if it uses charges). In the case of an object or creature with active spells cast upon it, you learn each spell, its effect, and its caster level.

An attended object may attempt a Will save to resist this effect if its holder so desires. If the save succeeds, you learn nothing about the object except what you can discern by looking at it. An object that makes its save cannot be affected by any other analyze dweomer spells for 24 hours.

Analyze dweomer does not function when used on an artifact.

Obviously, Song of the Blade shouldn't be exactly like Analyze Dweomer but I think this is the spell you want to reference instead of Identify.

Xael

First Post
nimisgod said:
By the way, the wording of the Song of the Blade seems iffy to me. Identify only reveals the weakest magickal properties of an item. I think you're thinking more of Analyze Dweomer.
In 3.5 Identify reveals all magic properties of an item. :) In 3.0 it didn't.

Knight Otu

First Post
GnomeWorks said:
What kind of bonus is this?
The same as a monks' AC bonus? ;)
The monk receives a Wis bonus to AC, and an untyped bonus that slowly increases. I could easily see it made into a deflection bonus, though.

Could you clarify this a bit? I think I've got an idea of how it works, but it seems really clunky... could just be me...
You're certainly not alone in thinking that it sounds clunky. I think so as well.
The idea is that the dervish can relay the powers of a beneficial bardic music effect as if he were creating it himself. In case of a countersong, as long as the dervish is within 30 feet of the performing bard, he can attempt the appropriate Perform check (DC 18, since countersong requires at least 3 ranks) to allow allies within 30 feet of himself benefit from countersong, but using the dervish's Perform check result.
If the bardic music ability requires a target, the bard would have to target the dervish to allow the dervish to use this ability.
Does that help a bit?
That said, there are two things I might change: For one, reviewing the Song of Freedom, it does not make too much sense to be able to be relayed this way. Also, for abilities that depend on the bard's Perform check result (only countersong currently, but feats and PrCs might introduce more), the dervish propably should not be able to get a better result.

Um... take 10 on tumble checks? And Perform (dance) checks, which are required for several abilities this class gains? This would be an alright ability, but I'd say quite a bit later - definitely not at 1st. Maybe 5th or 6th?
I see your point about that. I think it could swap places with songs of the blade this way.

This looks alright.

However, I'd be interested to hear the rationale on why this is in here - it doesn't seem to quite fit the flavor of the class, over all.
It is meant to illustrate the love the Sairundani, and especially the dervishes, have for blades, song and dance beyond combat. The dervish usually dances along with his scimitars, and picks up subtle differences between weapons. This ability is a supernatural extension of that.
I could see it being limited to scimitars, or at least sword-like weapons.

Nimisgod - As Xael already said, the identify spell changed in 3.5 to reveal all magical properties of an item. The main benefits of Analyze Dweomer are now speed and multiple identifications.

nimisgod

LEW Judge
ahh, my bad.

It is meant to illustrate the love the Sairundani, and especially the dervishes, have for blades, song and dance beyond combat. The dervish usually dances along with his scimitars, and picks up subtle differences between weapons. This ability is a supernatural extension of that.

*nods head* Sounds good to me.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Knight Otu said:
The same as a monks' AC bonus? ;)
The monk receives a Wis bonus to AC, and an untyped bonus that slowly increases. I could easily see it made into a deflection bonus, though.

I wonder why they made the monk's AC bonus unnamed... I suppose it's alright for the dervish to have it unnamed, as well, then.

Does that help a bit?

Yes. :)

That sounds like a very interesting ability. It's only useful in conjunction with a bard, though... without a bard, this ability does nothing.

Of course, the dervish gets enough other abilities that losing this one wouldn't be too big of a blow; and it's more flavor.

I see your point about that. I think it could swap places with songs of the blade this way.
Sounds alright to me. :) 4th level is alright.

I wouldn't worry about the restriction... this is a pretty limited ability to begin with. :)

For your goal, I think it accomplishes that nicely. :) You may also want to consider something like bardic lore, but only relating to weaponry? That could help reinforce the bard-like nature, as well (working with bards, etc), as well as give the class another useful ability.

Knight Otu

First Post
Okay, I'll incorporate these suggestions into the second draft when I'm back from the Con. I'll also think about the Weapon Knowledge thing.

Upper_Krust mentioned sneaking in Whirlwind Attack, but I think the combat abilities are fine already. :p

Otakkun

Explorer

For the sake of simplicity, why not just ask for bardic music to be a requirement and to have the dervish class add to bardic music? It would make things so much simplier.

For songs of the blade, you could allow the Dervish to add his bardic knowledge modifier for the roll, if any.

For storm fury, you could change it instead to Whirlwind Attack, I think it goes more in hand with the PrC's focus, but that is just me. As a sidethought to this, you could change the required feats to Lightining reflexes and that feat that grants you bonus on atheltic skills, that way, sprint attack and whirlwing attack will look nicier as rewards.

Other than that, the PrC looks quite neat. congrats.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases