(Adventure) The Burning Tower (Knight Otu Judging) [Concluded]

Patlin

Explorer
A thick cloud of smoke pours into the sky, and those responding to the fire brigade bells have no trouble finding the source of the alarm. A tall building several city blocks away from the Red Dragon Inn is belching smoke from its top floor windows. More ominously, crackling blue magical energy periodically shimmers around the tower. No actual flame can be seen, and even standing next to the tower, no unusual heat can be felt. Several other citizens mill about, uncertain of what to do. Most of the citizens seem overawed by the magic, and even members of the city guard seem unwilling to venture too close to the tower. A sign next to the door reads "Rilithorne, Mage. Comisions welcome, inquire within. Please knock before entering."

An official of the city guard [Knowledge(local) DC 8: Watch-Captain Frandeth. Note that knowledge DCs this low can be attempted untrained.] appears to be trying to rally the guard to investigate the building, pointing out loudly that any fire in the city could easilly spread from one building to the next. He doesn't seem to be having much luck in overcoming the superstitous fears of his subordinates.

Last edited:

Zweischneid

First Post
Morulas comes up to the fire, carrying an old bucket of water thats leaking most of it's contents through the many cracks and holes.

Heading for that guard that seems to have some influence over the others the young elf asks:

"Woh..hail Mr..?" Lacking both a name and a title to adress the man by, Morulas shrugs and continues, he's new in town after all. "this does not seem to be a common fire, though the construction of your human dwellings may set the town ablaze before the night has ended."

Turning again for the tower, the elfs keen eyes make out the writing near the door, even at this distance and through all the smoke.

"Ah, the refuge of a human wizard, is it not? You know what caused this blaze? A fire at a mage's laboratory might proof quite dangerous I hear." he states with all earnesty, than looks around for other people that do not appear to be spooked by the magical flames.

OOC:
How do you make the skill rolls here? Just roll some dice here on my desk?

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
Judge Post
Zweischneid said:
OOC: How do you make the skill rolls here? Just roll some dice here on my desk?
(Depends on the DM, but for such comparably inconsequential Knowledge checks, you often can. Patlin will decide how to conduct more important rolls. He might roll them, you might use an online die roller, or use the ENWorld dice tags.
Oh, and don't spoiler out OOC discussion; mark it otherwise. You could spoiler out Morulas speaking Elven, though. :))

Patlin

Explorer
Knight Otu said:
Judge Post
(Depends on the DM, but for such comparably inconsequential Knowledge checks, you often can. Patlin will decide how to conduct more important rolls. He might roll them, you might use an online die roller, or use the ENWorld dice tags.

Yes, it was my intention that folks roll the knowledge check themselves, since it is of little to no consequence. Generally, I will be making the dice rolls. I intend to follow the example set by Manzanita, the DM of this thread. I'm fairly new to play by post gaming, and Manzanita seems to set a good example, so I will imitate (steal!) what I can...

IcyCool

First Post
Gorefoot - Gnome Barbarian 1

Gorefoot comes running up to the tower, a bucket of water sloshing a little of it's contents onto the street. He looks about for a moment, shocked at the lack of a fire line and all of the people just milling about, barely giving the tower a second glance. He spots someone who looks like he's in charge (OOC: failed knowledge check, rolled a 7. I assume he looks important.), and approaches.

He looks angrily up at the man,"Why is everyone just standing around? Where is the fire brigade?"

Patlin

Explorer
IcyCool (Gorefoot) said:
He looks angrily up at the man,"Why is everyone just standing around? Where is the fire brigade?"

Watch Captain Frandeth frowns at the interruption, but after a moments thought a speculative gleam appears in his eye.

"A Fire Brigade I've got, but I don't have a fire to point them at. At least not a fire which I understand, or which these otherwise brave citizens are prepared to fight. There's a gods awful amount of smoke, a considerable amount of uncontrolled magic, but no actual flames as far as we can tell. What I need is some people who aren't afraid of a bit of stray magic, willing to go in and find out what's making all that blasted smoke. Then I need it stopped, before it gets worse. I don't know if it's something completely harmless, or if the place is going to start spewing forth fire elementals any minute now. I do know I'm willing to pay in gold to find out."

Patlin

Explorer
Zweischneid (Morulas) said:
"Woh..hail Mr..?" Lacking both a name and a title to adress the man by, Morulas shrugs and continues, he's new in town after all. "this does not seem to be a common fire, though the construction of your human dwellings may set the town ablaze before the night has ended."

Turning again for the tower, the elfs keen eyes make out the writing near the door, even at this distance and through all the smoke.

"Ah, the refuge of a human wizard, is it not? You know what caused this blaze? A fire at a mage's laboratory might proof quite dangerous I hear.

"I'm Watch-Captain Frandeth. Yes, it could be dangerous indeed. Do you know anything about such fires? Or, perhaps, where to recruit someone who does?"

Dalamar

Adventurer
Patlin said:
"I do know I'm willing to pay in gold to find out."
Rodimus thumbs himself in the chest. "Go in for gold."
He'll wait a moment to see if anybody wants to join him, and then goes to the tower's door... and knocks on it with his staff.

Xaov

First Post
*Rhamos dashes to the scene fumbling with his armor as he runs*

"IS THERE ANYONE STILL IN THERE!" *the Half-orc yells*

*being met with not much more than awkward stares he rushes to the one of the nearby guards* "Whose in charge of the group here?" *is pointed toward the Watch Captain*

*dashes over to him*

"Whats......*huff*.... going..on?....*huff huff*"

*is explained to whats happening*
*runs to the man about to go in

"I will go in as well , you may need my strength to help pull anyone left in there out if they are hurt."

ooc: hopefully you won't mind my Half-orc Pally Rhamos Kahn joining the game do you?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases