Adventures in Kalamar! - (Now) Forging Darkness

wsclark

Explorer
This thread contains the chronicle of my mostly weekly Thursday night gaming group. We are starting out with the Coin Trilogy of Adventures from Kenzer & Co. so I'll mention these two things right up front. One, these posts will contain spoilers, so read them at your own risk. Second, some of the information contained herein is copyrighted Kenzer & Co. and it's use is solely intended for background information and in no way represents an intent to infringe on that right. I am not trying in any way to step on that copyright and if it is necessary, I will remove the portions contained in the posts.

That being said, here is some background information on the group itself. The group consists of six players. Three of these players are from a bi-monthly group I run (we were playing in Greyhawk but have since moved to Kalamar at the beginning of September.) The other three are people whom I contacted over the internet who were looking for a group in my area. Of the group, four are long time players of D&D while the other two are very new (my wife and one of the players girl friend.)

I decided to use the standard method for generating ability scores. The only difference was I allowed each player to produce three sets of scores instead of one. They could choose which set to use first, with the other two as backups for additional characters, just in case.

Our first session together was basically for the group getting together for the first time (I had met with everyone individually before hand to at least make sure that they would understand my expectations and style of play and vice versa) to generate their characters and to come up with how the
adventuring group formed (I wanted the players to have a lot of input in this area.) So, we spent about two hours generating the characters and then started to come up with background information for them.

We are currently meeting weekly on Thursday nights for 2 1/2 to 3 hour sessions. So far, we have met a dozen times. You will sometimes notice changes in tone and style in some of the session logs. This is because I ask each player to take a turn at writing up the log each week, with the detail from their characters perspective. This helps me out in that I don't have to take notes all the time, it serves as a refresher for what happened the previous week and puts a different spin on what happened because of the different points of views.

The next several posts will contain the stat blocks of the various characters followed by the session logs.

Last edited:

wsclark

Explorer
Cast of Characters

Chin

Male Reanaarian Mnk1; medium-sized humanoid (human); HD 1d8+2; hp 10; Init +7 (+3 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative); Spd 30 ft.; AC 16 (+3 Dex, +3 Wis); Melee: Siangham +2 (1d6+2/Crit:20/x2), Dagger +2 (1d4+2/Crit:19-20/x2), Club +2 (1d6+2/Crit:20/x2); Ranged: Dagger +3 10 ft. (1d4+2/Crit:19-20/x2), Shuriken +3 10 ft. (1/Crit:20/x2), Sling +3 50 ft. (1d4+2/Crit:20/x2); Unarmed: Strike +2 (1d6+2/Crit:20/x2), Flurry of Blows +0/+0 (1d6+2/Crit:20/x2); SV Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +5; AL LG; Str 14, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 9.

Languages Spoken: Merchant's Tongue, Reanaarese

Skills: Climb +6, Escape Artist +5, Hide +7, Jump +4, Knowledge (Arcana) +1, Listen +4, Move Silently +7, Sense Motive +4, Tumble +4.

Feats: Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Improved Unarmed Strike (Virtual).

Special Abilities and Qualities: Unarmed Strike, Stunning Attack, Evasion, AC Bonus (unarmored), Unarmored Speed Bonus.

Personal Information: Male human, 18 years old, 5' 10", 170 lbs. Literate.

Level Information:

Level 1:

Ability Scores: Str 14, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 9

Race - Human; 1 extra feat at first level; 4 extra skill points at first level; 1 extra skill point at 2nd level and above; can have any favored class.

Languages - Merchant's Tongue, Reanaarese; Chin is literate.

Class - Monk Level 1

Benefits - HP 8 (max on d8); BAB +0; Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2; (SA) Unarmed Strike, (VF) Improved Unarmed Strike, (SA) Stunning Attack, (SA) Evasion, UAB +0, Unarmed Damage: 1d6, AC Bonus +0, Unamored Speed 30 ft.

Hit Points - 10 (8 +2 Con)

Feats - Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative

Skill Points - 20 (4 +0 Int +1 Human) x 4

Skill Ranks - Climb 4, Escape Artist 2, Hide 4, Jump 2, Knowledge (Arcana) 1, Listen 1, Move Silently 4, Sense Motive 1, Tumble 1

Daloren

Male Reanaarian Ftr1; medium-sized humanoid (human); HD 1d6+2; hp 8; Init +7 (+3 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative); Spd 30 ft.; AC 15 (+3 Dex, +2 Leather); Melee: Dagger +2 (1d4+2/Crit:19-20/x2), Light Mace +2 (1d6+2/Crit:20/x2); Ranged: Dagger +2 10 ft. (1d4+2/Crit:19-20/x2); Unarmed: Strike +2 (1d3+2 subdual/Crit:20/x2); SV Fort +2, Ref +5, Will -1; AL LC; Str 14, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 12.

Skills: Appraise +6, Balance +7, Climb +6, Disable Device +6, Gather Information +4, Heal +3, Hide +7, Listen +2, Move Silently +7, Open Lock +6, Search +7, Spot +3, Tumble +6, Use Magic Device +3.

Feats: Expertise, Improved Initiative.

Special Abilities and Qualities: Sneak Attack +1d6, Traps (use Search to find).

Personal Information: Male human, 17 years old, 5' 4", 120 lbs. Literate.

Background: Daloren was born in the small town of Heeno to an innkeeper by the name of Grunweld, and his wife Merlinda. Life was good for the small family and Daloren, being an only child, received much affection and attention. This is how Daloren spent the first decade and a half of his life. He would often work at his father’s inn dur-ing the day and sneak off at night to pursue his own ambitions.

There are two passions which drive Daloren: the quest for knowledge and the thrill of adventure. When he was growing up, his mother would often tell him bedtime stories. These stories, while most often fables, helped to instill a sense of wonder in him. As he grew up, he found himself wanting more and more to go out and see the world for himself. He would often pester the travelers staying at his father’s inn to tell him of their adventures, while secretly wishing to be finding his own adventures instead of listening to them second hand.

On his sixteenth birthday, he decided that the time had come for him to set out and forge his own destiny. With a hug to his parents and little more than the clothes on his back, Daloren left home with no particular destination in mind. His first stop was Zoa, a large port city. There he spent a few weeks trying to find work at anything interesting (scribe, caravan guards, etc.), but was unsuccessful. It was then that he met up with a bunch of soldiers from the local military. Seeing this as his chance to finally get some adventure, he quickly joined. Due to his natural quickness and keen mind he was selected to become a scout. As a scout his primary mission was to locate and report enemy information so he was well trained in the stealthy arts. He was also trained in many different skills to help him navigate through the dangers of traveling in unknown areas, things such as the finding and removal of traps as well as some basic knowledge of healing. He progressed well in his training and quickly was sent into the field.

Life in the military was not all that Daloren thought it would be and he quickly grew bored with it. As a first-line scout, he thought he would see a lot of action. Unfortunately, his unit was assigned to a relatively quiet area and most days they were lucky if they encountered a deer let alone any enemies. The monotony of guard shifts as well as the relative laziness of the others in his unit left Daloren with a bad opinion of the military. When his time of enlistment was over (one year) he left the service without a second thought.

He happened upon the small trade town of Haanex, and has spent a few days there just trying to see what is around for someone of his skills and talents. With some luck, he should be able to find some work as a scout...

As for the future, Daloren would like to try his hand at the arcane arts. His natural bump of curiosity as well as his keen intellect would make him a decent mage or so he thinks. He does want to still continue his scout training as well so it will be interesting to see which direction he will go in.

Level Information:

Level 1:

Ability Scores: Str 14, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 9

Race - Human; 1 extra feat at first level; 4 extra skill points at first level; 1 extra skill point at 2nd level and above; can have any favored class.

Languages - Merchant's Tongue, Reanaarese; Daloren is literate.

Class - Rogue Level 1

Benefits - HP 6 (max on d6); BAB +0; Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +0; (SA) Sneak Attack +1d6, (VF) Armor Proficiency (Light), (SA) Traps (use Search to find).

Hit Points - 8 (6 +2 Con)

Feats - Expertise, Improved Initiative

Skill Points - 48 (8 +3 Int +1 Human) x 4

Skill Ranks - Appraise 3, Balance 4, Climb 4, Disable Device 3, Gather Information 3, Heal 4, Hide 4, Listen 3, Move Silently 4, Open Lock 3, Search 4, Spot 4, Tumble 3, Use Magic Device 2.

Lulla

Female Gnome Clr1; Cleric of Boegoo, The Coddler; Divine Focus: small pillow; small-sized humanoid (gnome); HD 1d8+3; hp 11; Init +6 (+2 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative); Spd 15 ft. (Armor Penalty); AC 17 (+2 Dex, +4 Scale Mail, +1 Size); Melee: Club +1 (1d6/Crit:20/x2), Light Mace +1 (1d6/Crit:20/x2); Ranged: Light Crossbow +3 80 ft. (1d8/Crit:19-20/x2); Unarmed: Strike +1 (1d2 subdual/Crit:20/x2); SV Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +5; AL CG; Str 10, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 11, Wis 17, Cha 13.

Languages Spoken: Merchant's Tongue, Gnome

Skills: Diplomacy +2, Heal +7, Knowledge (Religion) +3.

Feats: Improved Initiative.

Special Abilities and Qualities: Low-light Vision, +2 bonus on savings throws against illusions, +1 attack bonus against kobolds and goblinoids, +4 dodge bonus against giants, +2 bonus on Listen and Alchemy checks, if Int 10+ can cast dancing lights, ghost sound and prestidigitation 1/day as 1st level caster, Spontaneous Casting, Turn Undead.

Personal Information: Female gnome, 37 years old, 3' 6", 42 lbs. Literate.

Level Information:

Level 1:

Ability Scores: Str 12, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 11, Wis 17, Cha 13

Race - Gnome; -2 Str, +2 Con; Low-light Vision; +2 bonus on saving throws against illusions; +1 attack bonus against kobolds and goblinoids; +4 dodge bonus against giants; +2 bonus on Listen and Alchemy checks; if Int 10+ can cast dancing lights, ghost sound and prestidigitation 1/day as 1st level caster.

Languages - Merchant's Tongue, Gnome; Lulla is literate.

Class - Cleric Level 1

Benefits - HP 8 (max on d8); BAB +0; Fort +2, Ref +0, Will +2; (SA) Spontaneous Casting, (VF) Armor Proficiency (Light), (VF) Armor Proficiency (Medium), (VF) Armor Proficiency (Heavy), (VF) Simple Weapon Proficiency, (VF) Shield Proficiency, (SA) Turn Undead.

God - Boegoo (The Coddler)

Divine Focus - small pillow

Domains - Healing, Protection

Maximum Spell Level - 7

Spell Save Base - 13

Spells Per Day - 3 (0), 2+1 (1)

Turns Per Day - 1 (Cha)

Number of HD Turned - 2d6+2 (+1 level, +1 Cha)

Hit Points - 11 (8 +3 Con)

Feats - Improved Initiative

Skill Points - 8 (2 +0 Int) x 4

Skill Ranks - Diplomacy 1, Heal 4, Knowledge (Religion) 3.

Pug

Male Reanaarian Ftr1; medium-sized humanoid (human); HD 1d10+2; hp 12; Init +2 (+2 Dex); Spd 20 ft.(Armor Penalty); AC 16 (+2 Dex, +4 Scale Mail); Melee: Greataxe +5 (1d12+4/Crit:20/x3), Light mace +4 (1d6+3/Crit:20/x2); Ranged: Javelin +3 30 ft. (1d6/Crit:20/x2); Unarmed: Strike +4 (1d3+3 subdual/Crit:20/x2); SV Fort +4, Ref +2, Will -1; AL LG; Str 17, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 12.

Skills: Climb +7, Handle Animal +3, Jump +7, Profession (Fisherman) +0.

Feats: Weapon Focus (Greataxe), Power Attack, Sunder.

Special Abilities and Qualities:

Personal Information: Male human, 17 years old, 5' 10", 220 lbs. Literate.

Level Information:

Level 1:

Ability Scores: Str 17, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 12

Languages - Merchant's Tongue, Reanaarese; Pug is literate.

Class - Fighter Level 1

Benefits - HP 10 (max on d8); BAB +1; Fort +2, Ref +0, Will +0; (VF) Simple Weapon Proficiency, (VF) Martial Weapon Proficiency, (VF) Armor Proficiency (Light), (VF) Armor Proficiency (Medium), (VF) Armor Proficiency (Heavy), Shield Proficiency

Hit Points - 12 (10 +2 Con)

Feats - Weapon Focus (Greataxe), Power Attack, Sunder

Skill Points - 12 (2 +0 Int +1 Human) x 4

Skill Ranks - Climb 4, Handle Animal 2, Jump 4, Profession (Fisherman) 1 [cross-class].

Shaedra

Female Half-Elf Pal1; Paladin of Foornaar, The Speaker of the Word; medium-sized humanoid (half-elf); HD 1d10+2; hp 12; Init +6 (+2 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative); Spd 20 ft.(Armor Penalty); AC 16 (+2 Dex, +4 Scale Mail); Melee: Greatsword +4 (2d6+4/Crit:19-20/x2), Longsword +4 (1d8+3/Crit:19-20/x2), Heavy mace +4 (1d8+3/Crit:20/x2); Unarmed: Strike +4 (1d3+3 subdual/Crit:20/x2); SV Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +6; AL LG; Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 11, Wis 16, Cha 16.

Languages Spoken: Merchant's Tongue, Elven

Skills: Craft (Weaponsmith) +1, Diplomacy +4, Handle Animal +4, Heal +5, Profession (Guide) +4, Ride +4.

Feats: Improved Initiative.

Special Abilities and Qualities: Immune to magic sleep spells and effects; +2 bonus on saving throws against Enchantment spells or effects; Low-light Vision; +1 bonus on Listen, Search and Spot checks; Elven Blood; Detect Evil; Divine Grace; Lay on Hands; Divine Health

Personal Information: Female human, 27 years old, 5' 7", 115 lbs. Literate.

Level Information:

Level 1:

Ability Scores: Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 11, Wis 16, Cha 16

Race - Half-Elf; Immune to magic sleep spells and effects; +2 bonus on saving throws against Enchantment spells or effects; Low-light Vision; +1 bonus on Listen, Search and Spot checks; Elven Blood; can have any favored class.

Languages - Merchant's Tongue, Elven; Shaedra is literate.

Class - Paladin Level 1

Benefits - HP 12 (max on d10); BAB +1; Fort +2, Ref +0, Will +0; (VF) Simple Weapon Proficiency, (VF) Martial Weapon Proficiency, (VF) Armor Proficiency (Light), (VF) Armor Proficiency (Medium), (VF) Armor Proficiency (Heavy), Shield Proficiency, (SA) Detect Evil, (SA) Divine Grace, (SA) Lay on Hands, (SA) Divine Health

Feats - Improved Initiative

Skill Ranks - Craft (Weaponsmith) 1, Diplomacy 1, Handle Animal 1, Heal 2, Profession (Guide) 1, Ride 2.

Thalen

Male Half-Elf Ftr1; medium-sized humanoid (half-elf); HD 1d10+2; hp 12; Init +2 (+2 Dex); Spd 20 ft.(Armor Penalty); AC 16 (+2 Dex, +4 Scale Mail); Melee: Greatsword +3 (2d6+1/Crit:19-20/x2), Dagger +2 (1d4+1/Crit:20/x2); Ranged: Dagger +3 10 ft. (1d4+1/Crit:20/x2), Short Bow +3 60 ft. (1d6/Crit:20/x3); Unarmed: Strike +2 (1d3+1 subdual/Crit:20/x2); SV Fort +4, Ref +2, Will -2; AL ?; Str 13, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 11, Wis 7, Cha 15.

Languages Spoken: Merchant's Tongue, Elven

Skills: Climb +5, Jump +5.

Feats: Combat Reflexes, Weapon Focus (Greatsword).

Special Abilities and Qualities: Immune to magic sleep spells and effects; +2 bonus on saving throws against Enchantment spells or effects; Low-light Vision; +1 bonus on Listen, Search and Spot checks; Elven Blood

Personal Information: Female human, 26 years old, 5' 10", 150 lbs. Literate.

Level Information:

Level 1:

Ability Scores: Str 13, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 11, Wis 7, Cha 15

Race - Half-Elf; Immune to magic sleep spells and effects; +2 bonus on saving throws against Enchantment spells or effects; Low-light Vision; +1 bonus on Listen, Search and Spot checks; Elven Blood; can have any favored class.

Languages - Merchant's Tongue, Elven; Thalen is literate.

Class - Fighter Level 1

Benefits - HP 12 (max on d10); BAB +1; Fort +2, Ref +0, Will +0; (VF) Simple Weapon Proficiency, (VF) Martial Weapon Proficiency, (VF) Armor Proficiency (Light), (VF) Armor Proficiency (Medium), (VF) Armor Proficiency (Heavy), Shield Proficiency

Feats - Combat Reflexes, Weapon Focus (Greatsword)

Skill Ranks - Climb 4, Jump 4.

wsclark

Explorer
The Root of All Evil - Session I - A Beautiful Autumn Day

Harvest 16th, 744 YND

Our tale starts with, of all things, a wandering monk. This monk, named Chin, left his monastery in the hills of Vrykarr Mountains to find a group of people to band together with in order to perform good deeds in the world. His mentor suggested this course of action to him in order to broaden the young monk's horizons as he felt that Chin was too insular in his training at the monastery. He told Chin that it would be good for him to wander the world outside of his current training in order to expand his knowledge and mind. So Chin left the monastery one morning, at the beginning of the month of Harvest, trying to decide how he would accomplish what his master was asking of him.

Chin wandered away from the Vry Naasu Headlands. At first, he didn't know which way to go, but eventually found himself at the shores of the Reanaaria Bay. He marveled at the sight of the bay, having never seen such a large body of water. "Which way to go," he wondered, "south to the more civilized areas or north to the sparsely populated ones?" He decides to head north, mainly because he is enjoying the autumn weather and sees a forest area in that direction (he has heard that the trees change color at this time of year and wants to see that.)

On the 16th of Harvest, he happens upon the town of Haanex, which lies nestled on the northwestern edge of Reanaaria Bay, just south of Skarrna and the lands of Skryvalkker Hurrkal. Primarily a fishing and trade town, the 350 inhabitants welcome the merchants heading to or from Skarrna along the coast. Little more than an overnight stop, the village grew around the fortified hostel and a fishery. Most businesses involve the fishing industry or provide goods and services for travelers. Some local farmers work the fields west of town and several shepherds also live in the area.

As Chin enters the town, the monk is pleased to discover that Haanex houses a temple of Foornaar, The Speaker of the Word. Where better, he thinks, to start seeking honorable and trustworthy travel companions? As he enters the temple, the monk sees that he is not its only visitor on this day. A young man in obvious distress is speaking with the priest.

"Well, I fell off the side and got tangled in the net," the youngster is telling the priest. "They had to cut me free and lost the whole morning's catch."

"Again, Pug?" replies the priest. "That's three times this week! Hmm. Maybe you're right, and you aren't cut out for the fishing business."

"Well, what else am I to do? I don't have any other skills!"

"You know that's not true, Pug. Why, you were a wonderful soldier. Your sergeant told me himself you were the finest fighting man he'd ever seen. And you showed me all those medals you won."

"Oh, I was never any good, I was just in the right place at the right time. But anyway, that's not going to help me support my family."

The monk has heard enough. "Excuse me, I'm sorry to interrupt, but I think I may have a solution for this young man's problem."

After spending some time explaining his proposal and assuring Pug that yes, he really does want him along, and no, he doesn't think Pug's incompetence would just get them both killed, and yes, they will be helping people and serving good, and yes, there should be some money in it for Pug's family, the monk finds himself with his first traveling companion.

While this was happening, a young paladin entered the temple overhearing the proposal the monk has made to Pug. She approaches the pair as they are leaving the temple. "Greetings fellow travelers! I could not help but overhear what the two of you were discussing. If what you said about your intent on performing righteous deeds is true, I would be interested in join up with you. I am out and about on my own for the first time and am looking for a few adventuring partners." Pug suggests that they go to the Ki-ren's Rest Inn to talk over the details of forming a group.

The three head off to the inn to sit down in the bar to have a conversation. On their way there, they see this fellow meandering down the streets. He appears to be lost. Pug decides to approach him to offer any assistance.

"Greetings, traveler, is there something I might help you to find?" says Pug.

"I'm not sure," replies the half-elf fighter, "I am trying to find something, but can't remember what. I think I was looking for a group of people to ply my fortune with, at least that's what I can recall."

Pug invites the fighter to join them and all four continue on to the inn.

While the four new comrades are getting to know one another a little bit better, two more people, a man and woman, walk in through the door. As the young man surveys the inn, he catches a familiar glimpse out of the corner of his eye. He takes a moment to contemplate what he sees, trying to make a connection. "Hmmm, Haanex. Hmmm, that gent at the table. What's the connection?" Then it dawns on him, it's Pug, the fellow from the Zoa militia he spent some time with as a scout. Yeah, during those boring days when the most he would due is rustle up some deer for the group to hunt down. Pug always did seem a nice enough fellow and that is an interesting group he's with. I think I'll go over and say hi.

He turns to his gnome companion, saying, "I know that fellow over there, let 's go say hello."

"Hey, Pug, you old dog!!" cries out Daloren, "is that really you?"

Pug turns in the direction of the voice, "Is that you Dal? I don't believe it. What are you doing up in these parts?"

"I got pretty fed up with the militia work, it was to boring. So, I decided to set off on my own. Been traveling for a while when I met up with Lulla, here". He introduces Lulla to Pug and Pug introduces the others, Chin, Shaedra and Thalen. "So what's going on?" ask Daloren.

Chin speaks up describing his mission and his goal of forming an adventuring party to go around performing good deeds. "Mind if we join up with you?" asks Dal, "cuz it sounds like you could use our talents to round out your group."

The six sit down together, talking a bit about themselves and what they might want to do to start off. They decide that they'll go to bed and meet here for breakfast to begin their first quest. It is late in the evening and as the group decides to retire, they notice a handbill on the wall:

ADVENTURERS NEEDED

to undergo a quest to find
VALUABLE TREASURE
some danger involved
100 gold pieces to be paid
to any survivors
Contact Veoden in
Leaning Tower
at sunset

The group decides that this might be worth investigating and will talk about it in the morning.

Harvest 17th, 744 YND

The next day, Pug asks one of his sisters about the tower.

"Oh, right," she says, "I guess that crazy place wasn't here when you left. About two years ago, this crazy old man shows up in town and asks the Guurhols (you remember, the builder family two houses down) to build him this tower. Only he insists that they put it in the middle of the swamp up there. They tried to talk him out of it (they're good honest folk) but he would have none of it. 'Build it here,' he says. 'It's a good place.' So they did. Well, you can see what's happened to it, and that just 6 months after it was built. He's been shoring it up himself; the Guurhols would never do such shoddy work. Why do you ask?"

Pug shows her the handbill. "It was just a thought I was having. I met this wandering monk yesterday, and he wants me to go ad-venturing with him. I know, it's crazy. I don't know what I was thinking. You all need me here and I'm not--"

"No, no, no!" two or three of his siblings simultaneously interrupt. "It's a fine idea, of course you should go do good deeds and seek your fortune. Yes, it will be hard here without you, but we'll manage to muddle through somehow. You really should do this!"

And having received that most sincere and vocal support, Pug heads off with a clear conscience to tell the others what he has heard about Veoden and his tower.

After informing the group about what he found out, Pug and the others spend the rest of the day in town doing a little shopping. Then, at sunset, the group approaches the tower as instruction in the handbill. The tower is an architect's nightmare. At least 50 feet tall and 10 feet on a side, the square tower leans like a drunken man who has had his body snapped at several key points. Cracks in the mortar and the huge wooden supports make the place look like it could topple over at any moment. Even the tiled roof has holes in it, though the tall lightning rod atop it seems to be
perpendicular to the ground.

They knock on the door and a sleepy man answers. He blinks and asks, "What do you want?"

Chin holds up the handbill and tells the man that they have come in response to it. He considers this for a moment, remembers, and then invites them in and telling them to have a seat and make themselves comfortable. Once everyone is seated, Veoden sits in the center of the room and looks everyone over for a moment. He then relates the Legend of the Falling Star:

"A little over a hundred years ago," he begins, "the Star fell from the sky - or so the legend goes. It fell this time of year, on a quiet night with just the slightest chill of winter in the air. The ones who saw it said that it flashed blue and white and screamed as it fell. Many felt it was a sign of the gods."

"It fell northwest of town, far away in the Vrykarr Mountains where the giant-kin rule. Most believed the Falling Star destroyed itself when it struck the earth. Still, many foolhardy souls sought the Star. None succeeded and few have returned. Eventually, the people forgot the Falling Star."

"Years later, the great sage Caaranian proved that stars are made of mithral, a magical metal that takes enchantment much more readily than normal steel and is stronger than that metal as well. Sages agree that the site of a fallen star is often a good place to find mithral. When the locals heard of these findings and remembered the legend of the Star that Fell, they once again searched the hill and mountains for the Star."

The wizard looks at each of the adventurers squarely in the eye.

"Mithral is used to make magic swords, armor, weapons, and other enchanted things," he finally says. "I want some. I'm willing to pay you 100 gold pieces for one pound of the metal, proportionally more if you bring me more. Are you willing to seek out this metal?"

The group asks for a few moments of privacy to talk. They decide that this might be a good way to gain some finances to support them in their endeavors. They respond to Veoden that they are willing to perform this task for him if he can supply them with some basic things that he thinks might be useful. Veoden agrees and relates further information about the story of Dairoo and his Map:

Veoden continues his story, "Save one man, Dairoo, who was found just west of town almost dead from exposure and wounds. He claimed that he had found the Star but that wizards and monsters guarded it. He carried in his pockets a few bits of an odd, silvery metal that the town blacksmith could not work. No matter how hot the forge, the metal simply refused to melt. Dairoo claimed it was mithral but refused to reveal where he had found it. He would only say that it lay in the evil lands to the west and was not worth what he had seen to go get it."

"He never did tell exactly where the Star was located, but he did draw a map for himself. The map long outlived its master, who died the following harvest of a mysterious wasting disease. Dairoo seemed to just waste away over the course of a month. He blamed a curse but would say no more about it. He called his son to his bed just before the end and held a whispered conversation with the youth. Then he expired, his flesh seeming to whither even as he lay there."

"The map was handed down from father to son in the Dairoo family, until the last son who had no children. During the harvest of his twenty-fifth year, he died of the same disease that befell his ancestors. No one knows for sure, but some suspect that the map was buried with him in the cemetery outside of town. Legend has it that the Dairoo curse continues even after death. Fear of the curse has kept even the most determined grave robbers away."

"That is all I know of the map and the Fallen Star."

Last edited:

wsclark

Explorer
Session II - Graveyard Stomp, by Pug

When we left off, I had thrown in my lot with an impressive group of adventurers, strong, brave and wise folk who for some reason felt that I could be of some use to them. I just hope I don't let them down too badly.

Anyway, we went to see this strange man, Veoden, who had a proposition for us. He wants us to bring him mithral, in the form of a fallen star, which wouldn't seem so bad except that there has to be a horrible curse involved. He is willing to pay 100 gp (that's right, one hundred gold pieces), for every pound of mithral that we bring him. I could set up my family for a long time with some of that money!

So here's the story that he told us: many years ago, a star (made of mithral) fell to earth somewhere to the northwest of here. Lots of folks tried, and failed, to find it. One person, Walker Dairoo, claimed that he had found it, but he wouldn't tell where. He did, apparently, have a map. He also, apparently, had a curse, and he died on 18 Harvest of some year or other. His son inherited the map and the curse, and died on 18 Harvest of some other year. His son inherited the map and curse, and, you guessed it, died on 18 Harvest of yet another year. Finally, we come to Atuur Dairoo, the only one in the family with enough sense not to have a son of his own. Predictably, he died on 18 Harvest 738. The map was supposedly buried with him, and that took care of the curse. That is, unless somebody's stupid enough to go get the map from him. Which, of course, is exactly what Veoden proposed that we do.

After some discussion, we agreed to head to the graveyard and get the map. Veoden told us just where we could find Atuur Dairoo: in the biggest mausoleum in the graveyard. Fortunately, that meant we wouldn't have to actually dig up any graves. I for one wasn't too clear on how grave robbing and serving good go together, but Lulla and our paladin (what was her name again? oh yeah, Shaedra), two of the most devout people I've ever met, assured me that it was all right, particularly if by our actions we could relieve the curse which may still lay on Atuur and his kin.

We headed off to the graveyard that very evening (17 Harvest) arriving there about 10:30 PM. (DM's Note: There was much debate whether to go to the cemetery that night or the next morning. The group reluctantly agreed that the town would be much less likely to be upset by not seeing them poking around there.) The gate was locked, but the wall is easy to scale and we did so with no trouble (it reminded me of when I did that as a child on a dare). We found the mausoleum fairly quickly. The word "Baolo" was written faintly on the outside of the crypt. If I weren't such a complete idiot and had paid any attention to the town history my mother was always going on about, I would have known that Baolo was the name of a prominent family here in town a long time ago, and that we were in fact in the wrong place. But no, as usual, I proved completely worthless and we tromped on in (after Daloren showed off another of his remarkable scores by picking the lock to the place). Specifically, I tromped right in; with Chin the monk and the paladin close behind.

The crypt itself was a mess. The caskets were open, there was stuff strewn all over, and the bones of various dead Baolos were scattered about the floor. That is, they were scattered about the floor until they started to get up and move around! You heard me right, all of a sudden there were four living skeletons in that place, and they started going after us. Well, I took a mighty swing at one of them with my greataxe and completely missed him. Meanwhile, Shaedra destroyed another with a single blow. I'm so worthless to this group; it's only a matter of time before they realize that. Anyway, we managed to destroy them all (Chin took out two with his bare hands! I've never seen anything like that). I even got a lucky shot in on the last one and took it down, but not before it managed to rake me with one of its claws (how clumsy I am!).

Since we still thought we were in the right place, we set about searching and re-consecrating the place, which took us a good long time. By the time we finished searching and cleaning, it was close to 2:00 AM. Needless to say, we didn't find the map, but we did find a surprisingly large amount of coin (around 50 gp worth!), some gems (7 of them) and a scroll tube made of bone. And in fact, there was a scroll in the tube, which Lulla informed us, was magical in nature. Apparently, it contained a spell which would give one of us complete protection from evil beings. (Unsurprisingly, it wouldn't be long before, thanks to me, we completely wasted this wondrous and powerful spell). However, we found no map, and it was only then that we realized that this was in fact the crypt of the Baolo family, not the Dairoos we were looking for.

At this point, we realized we would have to search the whole graveyard. Eventually, we found where the Dairoos are buried. They're all by themselves in a far corner of the graveyard, in (sigh) graves. So that meant digging. Great. And we without our shovels. Even better, Shaedra meditated over the Dairoo's graves for a moment and told us that there was evil emanating from each of them. Off we went, at 3:30 AM, dejected, trudging back to town. We filled Veoden in on what happened and arranged to head back the next night with picks and shovels (conveniently provided by Veoden).

So it was that we found ourselves dragging Atuur Dairoo's coffin from his grave shortly after midnight on 19 Harvest (we decided to wait until midnight to avoid the 18th, that cursed day which had claimed all the Dairoo men). We had spent a half hour digging in front of his creepy headstone (which reads "Last of the Dairoo Line/May the Gods Watch Over Him and Keep Him/The Curse is Ended") to uncover the coffin, only to find that it was wrapped with heavy chains and strong locks. This was a disturbing sign. In their desire to keep anyone from getting into Atuur's coffin (or perhaps to keep Atuur from getting out), the townspeople had used locks of such quality that even Daloren couldn't pick them. Eventually, I had to break them open with my axe (finally, a way I could be useful!). At this point, we stood well back and pulled the coffin lid off with ropes. Nothing happened, initially.

Then Shaedra approached the coffin (what bravery!) and took a look. Apparently, she saw the map, because she tried to take it out with the tip of her sword. Unfortunately, this activated Atuur, or whatever it was that he had turned into, and he spoke.

"Doom on those who rob my grave! The curse allows me to destroy defilers!"

The creature then stood up so we all could see it. I don't know what manner of creature it was, but it had ghoulishly pale and clammy skin, a ghoulish grimace on its face, and spoke in a frightening, ghoulish voice. I think I'll call it a "Spooker."

The Spooker leaned over and bit (!) Shaedra. I didn't notice immediately, but apparently its bite rendered her instantly paralyzed. I charged in, swung my axe and hit the foul creature. At first I thought I had dealt it such a mighty blow that I had utterly destroyed it. Unfortunately, after staggering around for a moment, the Spooker came back and attacked me. Thankfully, it missed, and we closed in on it. Lulla did something then, summoned the power of her god, perhaps, and we all suddenly felt a surge of strength and well-being. I am sure that without this we would not have survived the fight. Eventually, we did manage to destroy the creature. And this time, we did find the map (and a fancy stick-pin with jewels all over it).

We put the remains of poor Atuur back in his coffin, sealed it shut, and placed it back in his grave giving him a "proper" burial with Lulla presiding over the ceremony. Then we covered him back up so that no one would know that he was dug up in the first place.

The map is strange, with locations and dates noted on it. Some of the dates are old, some haven't happened yet. One of them is 18 Harvest 738 YND (the date Atuur Dairoo died), but one is even 8 years from now! We will have to puzzle over this some more. In the meantime, we wondered if there might be more information buried with the other Dairoos, specifically with Walker, the one who found the star initially. So we decided to dig up his grave (his headstone reads "May the gods take pity on his poor cursed soul").

Half an hour later, Chin and I were standing on the eldest Dairoo's coffin. The good news was that there were no chains or locks to deal with. The bad news was that the coffin was so rotten there was no way to get it out of the hole. So I (stupid, stupid) bashed it open with my axe while standing on top of it. Sure enough, this guy had turned into one of those Spooker things too, and he grabbed for my leg. Lulla, fearing for my wretched worthless life, pulled out the scroll and cast its protective spell on me (losing the magic of the scroll forever in the process). The Spooker burst out of the coffin and was standing between Chin and me. The quarters were so close that I couldn't attack it, so I leapt out of the hole. Before I even turned around to look back at it, Chin, Lulla and Shaedra had all struck it and it was destroyed. So, as noted before, the spell from the scroll was completely wasted. Or so it seemed.

wsclark

Explorer
Session III - Who Do You Trust?

Harvest 19th, 744 YND, 4:30 AM

We have just finished re-burying Walker Dairoo and are really tired. The sun will be up soon, so we decided that it would be prudent to head back to town now. Hopefully, no one will realize someone was digging up the graves in the cemetery. It's going to be a long walk back since Lulla is now wearing scale mail for better protection, and it takes us about two hours.

On the way back, we do a lot of talking about the Dairoo map. Chin wants to go to each place listed on the map in chronological order of the dates associated with each location. Pug questions what to do about the evil obelisk, since it doesn't have a date written underneath it. Dal comments that it will take a long time to go everywhere. Then a thought hits Shaedra. Since the date on the Dark Hills matches the date of Atuur's death, that is where they have to go. But in order to get there, they have to follow a zigzag path, like the one shown on the bottom of the map that represents the Black Lake. This will take them to a couple of the locations where they will probably find clues to the exact location of the Fallen Star.

Everyone agrees that this is probably the best thing to do. The next question is, how much do they reveal to Veoden? Do they even go back to let him know they have the map now? If they do, do they show it to him? Chin wonders why Veoden seems so aloof. "Why do we always see him after sunset? Maybe he fears the sunlight." Everyone else tells him he's crazy for even thinking Veoden's a vampire.

"Why did he send us to the mausoleum first, as a test?" Chin wonders out loud some more. "He should have known the Dairoo's weren't in there." No one has a good answer for this, although Pug points out the wizard has only been in town for two years, arriving two years after Atuur died.

The group finally reaches Haanex, retiring at Pug's family residence to catch some much needed sleep. They all get up late in the afternoon, decide to have a good meal, talk some more and get a good nights (as opposed to days) sleep. They wake up the next morning, all refreshed.

Harvest 20th, 744 YND

Our group decides, over a nicely prepared breakfast, to see Veoden again. The semi-amnesic half-elf fighter will be staying behind, with the map. The group is very leery about bring it with them. So, after stuffing themselves, they are off to see Veoden, to return the shovels and picks they borrowed and to talk to him a bit more.

They meet with Veoden, who informs them that he is not terribly familiar with the area. He will help them in any way he can, but cannot personally go with them as he has to take care of Boelain, his 8-year-old son. When ask why he is so interested in obtaining some mithral, he responds, "A friend of mine and I need some to conduct some experiments." He does not give any further information as to what those experiments are. He does offer some advise and tells the group to seek out Girion, an experienced guide he has use the services of in the past. Veoden tells them Girion can be usually found in the Thirsty Hound in town.

The group thanks Veoden and goes off into town to prepare for their journey into the Rokk Forest and surrounding lands. They purchase enough trail rations for 7 people to survive 10 days. Then, they go off to the Thirsty Hound. The Thirsty Hound is a cheap tavern that has a unique smell of sweat, vomit, and stale beer. The few dim lanterns in the place barely illuminate the sawdust-covered wooden floor. Several tables and chairs fill the room and a long bar stands against the nearby wall.

As the groups enters and looks around they see a fat, dirty bartender, who seems to pick his nose constantly, serves drinks and talks to two women at the bar who wear dark armor and cloaks. Across the room a man plucks at a lyre and sings battle hymns and songs of war. A few other men at one table cheer him on.

Since they have no idea who Girion is or what he looks like, they approach the bar to speak with the bartender. He comes over to them and asks "What can I get you?"

Shaedra immediately responds, "We're looking for someone named Girion. Is he here and if so, could you point him out?" The bartender replies, "Yeah, he's here. That's him over in the far corner. They guy in the green cloak with the hood pulled low drinking beer. How about a beer for yourself?"

Shaedra flatly states "Thanks, after we're finished with our business," and starts to go directly over to where Girion is sitting. Chen grabs Shaedra by the arm and tells her in a low voice, "It might be better to order some beer first."

She turns to him and defiantly states, "I told him I would come back after we're done with our business," and walks off towards Girion. While she is heading over, the rest of the group orders some beers, then follow her. They find her talking to Girion.

Shaedra has already introduced herself and stated that the group she is with was told that he was a guide for the parts around Haanex. He cautiously states, "Yes, I know these parts fairly well. Where is it you want to go?"

Chin chimes in at this point, explaining very vaguely that they are looking for something but have to go to several different places to possibly find the exact location of what they are looking for, etc. This goes on for a minute or two before Girion says, "So, where do you want to go?"

Chin then continues, avoiding any specific information as to the locations the group wants to investigate. Girion, a fairly cautious fellow, after hearing no direct answer to the question he has been asking, says "Alright, I'd be willing to help you out, for ... 2 equal shares in all treasure and items you find."

Shaedra, at this point, is getting fed up, between the vagueness of Chin answering Girion's question and the rather extravagant payment required and says, "Thanks, but no thanks," and walks away. Most of the rest of the group follows. Chin, however, persists, trying to turn the already upside down conversation back to some semblance of normality. He does nothing but persist in confirming Girion's suspicions that the group is just an inept bunch of blokes. He pointedy states, "Well, forget my offer. If you and your companions ever figure out what you want to do, maybe then we can do business." He gets up and walks away.

Chin rejoins the group and they try to figure out what happened. When asked, Shaedra replies, "No, I didn't detect anything evil about the man. He price for employment is to much." Chin attempts to convince the group that they should go back and try to bargain with Girion, but under no circumstances should they agree to part with any magic items the group finds. Maybe buy out his shares, but no allow him to have any. A huge argument ensues about what information should be told to Girion and what price to pay.

They finally decide that it would be worthwhile to have a guide and go back to Veoden to see if there is anything he can do to help out. Veoden is not amused that they seemed to tick off Girion but agrees to give them a note from him to give to Girion. He steps out for a couple of minutes and returns with a sealed parchment instructing them to give it to Girion. Back they go to the Thirsty Hound.

They enter the bar to find no sign of Girion. They go up to the bar and order some beers in order to talk to the bartender. They ask him if Girion is around. He says, "Nope, he left a while ago muttering something about a bunch of inept, idiotic adventures who were looking to get themselves killed." There is a grin on his face. They thank him, finish their beers and leave.

While walking about town some more, they finally decide to attempt to bribe the barkeep for information and see if he would be willing to deliver something for them to Girion. Daloren goes back into the Thirsty Hound for the third time today, saddles up to the bar and orders another beer. When the bartender brings him them beer, he slips 2 silver pieces towards him asking "You know when Girion might be back?"

By the time Dal finished asking the question, the silver was gone. The bartender replies "He said he would be back tomorrow afternoon." Dal slips another silver piece on the bar. "You know him pretty well, don't ya." "Yeah," the barkeep responds, "we have some 'arrangements'." "Could you deliver something for us?" "Ok, what is it?" Dal takes out the parchment and another silver piece, handing it to the bartender. "Just this. Thanks. We'll be back late tomorrow afternoon." He then finishes his beer and leaves.

They all head back to Pug's house for the night. Everyone is beginning to wonder about the monk as he wants to set up watches through the night. Lulla and Shaedra tell him he's nuts, nobody sets up watches in a town like this, and there is no need to. Finally, they all go to sleep.

Harvest 21st, 744 YND

The group gets up the next day, agreeing, that if they do get to meet with Girion, they will tell him that their ultimate destination is the Dark Hill by way of, at a minimum, the Mud Flats and the Sodden Copse. They go out in the late afternoon to the Thirsty Hound, to see if Girion will meet with them. On the way, they see some new handbills up that say:

ADVENTURERS NEEDED
                 to undergo a quest to find
                      VALUABLE TREASURE
                    some danger involved
                 100 gold pieces to be paid
                      to any survivors
                      Contact Veoden in
                        Leaning Tower
                          at sunset

They are all surprised to see these up again since Veoden has hired them. They have no idea why he might put them back up. As they are contemplating this, they arrive at the Thirsty Hound. They ask the bartender if Girion is around. He says, "Wait a moment, I'll send someone to get him." They order a round of beer as they wait. A few minutes later, Girion comes down from upstairs. He walks over to the group, saying "Here," and hands the deal parchment to Chin. Chin looks at it and realizes the seal has not been broken. He asks, "Why didn't you open it, it's from Veoden?"

"Yeah, I know it's from Veoden and he knew I wouldn't open it," say Girion. Shaedra asks "Why?" "Because," states Girion, "I can't read."

After absorbing this piece of information, Chin asks, "Mind if we open this?" "No, go right ahead," states Girion.

Chin opens the parchment and finds a blank note inside. "I don't understand." "Well, Veoden thinks I should give you another chance. Where do you want to go?" Shaedra tells him, "Eventually the Dark Hills, but we want to go to the Mud Flats first, followed by the Sodden Copse." Shaedra continues, "Let's talk somewhere else, like Pug's place, say two hours after sunset." "Alright, I'll meet you there," states Girion. The group then leaves.

On the way back towards Pug's place, Chin convinces the group that they should check up on what Veoden is up to with the new handbills and suggests that he hangs out near his tower to see who shows up. He waits in the shadows till a while after sunset, seeing no one arriving at Veoden's and heads to Pug's house to join the others. On the way back he toys with the idea of pulling down all the new handbills he sees. He decides against it.

At about two hours after sunset, Girion shows up. They show him the map and tell him that they are looking for a fallen star that supposedly landed in the Dark Hills, believing that clues to its location are at places indicated on the map. He agrees to meet them at daybreak the next morning on the road-heading west out of town. "Ok, I'll help you out for an equal share in all you find. Agreed?", says Girion. "Agreed." replies Shaedra and everyone goes off to get sleep for the night.

Harvest 22nd, 744 YND

The group meets Girion on the road lead off to the west from town, to the Mud Flats. In order to move a bit quicker, Chin carries Lulla for the first day, he weight and equipment being not much of a burden. About lunchtime on the second day, they reach the Mud Flats. These moors are covered with touch and crooked bushes and scrub brush. The ground is very wet and the wind seems to always blow here. They search the area for the rest of the day, finding nothing before retiring for the evening about a half hours walk back the way they came.

Harvest 24th, 744 YND

They get up the next morning and start heading north towards the Sodden Copse. The group is dejected that they didn't find anything to help them out in the Mud Flats and hope to do better when they reach the Sodden Copse. On the third day out, they hear some rustling and low grunts off in the woods. Chin and Daloren seek off into the woods to check it out. Quietly they approach, almost reaching the spot where they think the noise is coming from, only to hear something take of running. They can't make out what it is so Chin gives chases.

After running after the noise for a few minutes and failing to catch up, he stops to listen again. He hears some rustling off towards the north and slowly moves in that direction. At the last minute, a shift in the wind gives him away and the deer bolts off into the woods. He returns back to the group and tells them. They decide to camp for the night.

Next time, the start of a new day (Harvest 27th, for those keeping track)

wsclark

Explorer
Session IV - Captured!

Harvest 27th, 744 YND

The party gets up the next morning to continue their trek to the Dark Hills. Girion estimates that they will reach the beginning of the area by the end of the day. Other than Chin chasing another boar late in the day, the time traveling is uneventful.

They camp for the night just inside the Rokk Forest and spend a blissful evening.

Harvest 28th, 744 YND

The group gets up nicely refreshed and begins their searching of the Dark Hills. This section of the Vry Naasu Headlands is almost a small mountain range twenty miles long and half as wide. The hills are steep and treacherous, dangerous and dark. Crevasses and dark gullies, some of which are hidden by the deadfalls or accumulation of leaves or debris make the place even more hazardous. The trees that grow here are stunted and warped. After searching for half of the day, the group finds, in the very center of the hill, the crater of the meteor.

They survey the site of the crater, noticing movement in the center where a large rock is located. They look a little more closely and see a couple of goblins apparently working of the fallen star. They also see a hut off to the right of where they are, right at the lip of the crash site, as well as two cave entrances to the left, about 20 feet down into the crater. The group chats momentarily and then decides to investigate the hut first by moving to the back of it through the tree line around the crater. What a noise bunch this is!

A not to small amount of clanking is made as the group moves through the woods. The goblins by the meteor take notice and look in the general direction. They fail to notice anything significant, but one does go to one of the caves. The group makes it to the rear of the hut, sending Daloren off to check it out.

He sneaks over to the back end of the hut. It is built from what appears to be charred wood and stands unguarded. Poorly laid wooden shingles top the shack, though the chimney and exterior of an obvious fireplace of stone and mortar appear better constructed. There is smoke bellowing out of the chimney.

He finds a shuttered window in the rear of the shack, closed. Traveling around to the front, he sees another shuttered window as well as a single door, locked by a chain and lock on the outside, both of which are steel and very new. Moving back towards the rear of the shack, he finds a crack large enough to look in through.

Several candles and a fire in the fireplace illuminate this room. Standing in the center of the room is a short, fat man with curly gray hair on the sides of his balding head. He wears an odd cap that seems to be simply a bill strapped to his head. His rough clothing is covered by a leather apron out of the pockets of which jut several pieces of chalk, small tools, and a long piece of charcoal. A chain connects the manacle on his leg to the largest stone in the fireplace. A tiny silver piece glows in the coals of the furnace.

A large forge, bellows and two barrels full of a dark liquid stand near the fireplace. Three tables covered with lab equipment, papers, scrolls and books, almost fill the room. The stench of sulfur, chemicals, blood and smoke lay heavy upon the place. A tapestry hanging from a rod covers another room or closet across from the fireplace.

Daloren heads back to the woods and tells the others what he saw. Pug decides to take his crowbar to task on the shuttered window in the rear of the shack. Moving into position, he cannot help but make a little bit of noise. He gets to the window and tries to open it with his crowbar. Unbeknownst to him, the goblins in the center of the crater hear him and decide to investigate. They start walking towards the shack.

Pug continues to work on the window, trying to find a spot to get the crowbar in. He has had no success so far. All of a sudden, he hears a lion roar about 30 ft. to his left. The ghost sound cast by Lulla (DM's note: innate spell ability due to being a gnome) has caught him off guard for a moment until he sees the group behind him in the woods signaling that it is all right. He continues, unsuccessfully, to open the shuttered window.

The goblins heading for the shack pause momentarily and then move to the front of the shack. Two goblins move to each corner in the front of the hut while the other two start going towards the rear of the shack along each side. Neither Pug nor the goblins see each other. Pug moves to the corner of the shack, giving up on the window. The goblin heading down the side towards Pug spots Pug at the same moment as Pug spots him. Battle ensues.

Daloren heads out from the woods running up to attack the goblin in front of Pug. Pug swings at the goblin and misses. Girion, the guide they have hired, follows Daloren and takes the goblin down. The goblin at the corner of the shack that can see this yells something out, before moving forward to get in the way of the three. Chin then moves to the other end of the rear of the shack, shortly followed by Shaedra. Lulla also moves toward where Chin is, but stays in the woods. A goblin peeks his head around the corner and upon finding Chin there, turns around taking off. Chin is too startled to do anything about it.

Unknown to the group, the last goblin has already started running back to the cave on the other side of the crater to inform his leader that the sounds they heard earlier are a bunch of humanoids attacking them from the shack. He has gone for reinforcements....

Daloren overheard what the goblin yelled out and sees the goblin running across the crater, informing his compatriots that he is going to get help. Pug, Daloren and Girion continue their assault on the goblin who moved up in front of them, removing the threat. Chin takes off at a flat run after the goblin, unaware that two have actually started back toward the caves. He is able to catch up to the closer one, getting in front of him. The goblin attacks Chin, wounding him. Shaedra and Lulla move to the rear shuttered window.

Daloren heads to the front door, checking out the chain and lock in detail. Girion and Pug head over to the lip of the crater in front of the shack. Pug takes out a javelin, throwing it at the goblin standing by Chin. Pug is not having a good day, missing the goblin horribly and severely wounding Chin, who is now barely able to stand. The other goblin left runs into the cave. Meanwhile, Shaedra bashes the shutter to pieces.

Daloren, Pug and Girion make towards Chin to help him out, while Chin extracts himself from the goblin in order to find Lulla. The goblin attacks Daloren nicking him. Shaedra and Lulla climb in the now opened window at the rear of the shack.

Daloren finally finishes off the last goblin in sight, while Pug and Girion move back to the shack. Chin gets around the back of the shack to the window. Shaedra peeks around the curtain in the shack to see Arowain, chained to the fireplace. Lulla starts to heal Chin after which he climbs into the shack.

There is a short lull (DM's note: really short, like about 18 seconds worth) in the action, which allows everyone to get inside the shack, except for Girion who remains outside guarding the crater, when he sees at least a dozen goblins running out of the cave. Shaedra manages to find out that Arowain is here against his will and wants to be freed. But before that can happen, 17 goblins storm the shack.

Just as some of the goblins reach the front of the shack, Lulla opens the shutters on the other window to get a clear view. Goblins start trying to jump through the window, some succeeding. Others run around the back of the shack, some go straight to the front door and 3 confront Girion outside. The battle continues....

Three goblins have gotten inside from the front, with more on the way. Others are attacking the door. Chin has gone back out the rear to attack the goblins approaching there. He is pinned by three of them. Girion is holding his own for the moment. The door is splintering. Daloren heads to the front window inside the shack to help out Lulla, dropping a light mace at the feet of Arowain on the way. Pug and Shaedra move the combat the goblins entering through the window.

Shaedra has started to kill a couple of the beasties while they plink away at Lulla. Suddenly, the front door bursts into pieces and more goblins start to pour in. Pug is the first to go down, unconscious (DM's note: subdual, barely.) He is shortly followed by Lulla (DM's note: subdual, barely.) Chin climbs back inside while two goblins follow after him through the rear window. Three more are still outside trying to hit him.

Chin attacks one of the goblins that followed him inside, tripping himself, falling to the floor, stunned. The goblins whack him over the head, into unconsciousness (DM's note: he still has some hit points left, the hits were subdual damage, again.) Now only Daloren, Shaedra and Girion remain, as well as Arowain, who is strangely enough, not being attacked even though he is striking the goblins with the mace.

Daloren goes down next (DM's note: subdual, barely.) Now it's Shaedra inside, Girion outside and still 10 goblins between them. Girion takes out one more before being wounded and out of action (DM's note: -2 hit points, stablized at -6.) This leaves Shaedra alone. She valiantly stands surrounded taking out 2 more goblins before she succumbs to the blows (DM's note: again, subdual, barely.)

The party has been captured.

wsclark

Explorer
Session V - Rescued!

Harvest 28th, 744 YND

When we last left our heroes (?), they were all unconscious in a rickety shack having been subdued by a particularly ferocious group of goblins. That is, all but one, Thalen, who is in the woods behind the shack looking after the group's gear. (DM's note: This is the Half-Elf Fighter whose player had not been able to make the previous session.)

After hearing the noise of battle dying down and eventually stop, Thalen listened for his comrades. Unfortunately, he didn't hear them at all, just the garbled language of the goblins. Trying to find out what happened to his fellow adventures, he creeps to the edge of the forest behind the alchemists shack. Once he finally makes out the details, he sees, to his horror, the entire band of adventurers, as well as the guide Girion, being carried, bound with ropes, off to the cave directly opposite the shack. None of them are moving. Thalen wants to investigate further around the shack, but several goblins come up from the crater with wood and tools.

In order to avoid being seen, he goes through the woods, very carefully, around to the other side of the shack for a better vantage point. He looks out from the forest and sees that the goblins are apparently rebuilding the front door to the shack. "No use trying to find out what's happening inside the shack," he thinks to himself. "Gotta do something to get my new friends back." he decides. Thalen goes back through the woods once more to the place where the groups equipment lies.

He rummages through all the equipment stashed there, hoping to find something useful as well as any kind of idea as to how to rescue his companions. The only thing he finds is the groups traveling gear, nothing that might help. "Well," he thinks, "I better do some recon before trying anything." So, one last time, Thalen travels slowly through the woods, halfway around the crater, to a point where he is about as close as he can get to the cave entrance his friends were carried in.

Looking out from the woods, he sees two goblins guarding each cave. Thalen is getting very nervous and afraid, for there is no way he can handle four of these wretched creatures alone. "I need some kind of distraction, what can I do?" he ponders. "Let me see if I can get a little closer." and Thalen very carefully comes out from his cover, inching his way over to the top of the crater, right to the side of the cave entrance. A goblin looks in his direction, but does not see him.

"It's only the four guards in the crater, maybe if I throw a rock to the other side, some of them will go and check it out." Thalen searches around and finds a rock that he can throw the distance he wants to. He prepares his bow for easy reach and is about to throw the rock, when some noise comes to his ears. Quickly looking around, he realizes that the noise is from the tree line on the far side of the crater between the shack and the other cave. The guards are looking in that direction.

Seizing the opportunity, he throws his rock in the direction of the sound. What he hears next is totally on expected. Some creature has howled in surprise. The goblins start preparing their weapons in earnest, looking nervously towards the woods. All of a sudden, two eight foot tall, maybe taller, very ugly humanoids with large heads come out of the woods, staring down at the goblins in the crater. A look of glee appears on their misshapen faces, almost like they are looking to have some fun. One drops what looks like a tree trunk it was carrying like a club while the other drops a large sack on the ground. Thalen notices two of the guards, one at each cave entrance, run into the caves as the two large creatures start to pick up boulders. As goblins come pouring out of the caves, the hideous monsters on the craters rim start throwing boulders at them.

Thalen picks up his bow, thinking "Now's my chance." He climbs down the crater next to the cave entrance, where only one goblin remains. His luck, which has been holding out, escapes him as he gets down to side. The goblin has seen him. Quickly, he fires an arrow at the goblin, missing him. The goblin takes the javelin he's holding and throws it at Thalen, hitting the ground off to his right, while yelling for support. But the other goblins are too busy dealing with the playful antics of the two ogres. Thalen fires off another arrow, this time slaying the guard. He quickly climbs down, and after briefly checking out the cave entrance, drags the dead guard inside.

After quickly surveying the room, the only thing of note is a door in the rear. He gently tries the door, finding it locked. Listening intently, he hears some noise on the other side of the door. Thalen searches the body of the dead guard, hoping to find the key, but he has no luck. He needs to get beyond that door, so he pulls the dead body in front of the door but far enough away so that the door will open and whoever is on the other side will see it even if the door is only cracked opened. He prepares his bow and determines a position to get into so that he can fire into the doorway as soon as the door opens. All is ready and he pounds on the door, with the strikes getting softer ending as if someone had just fallen down. Thalen jumps into position as something the vile creatures call a language is spoken from behind the door. Thalen, murmurs and moans before he finally slaps the floor with his foot. As silence descends on the room, it feels like an eternity before the voice behind the door stops. The silence continues for a while longer before Thalen finally hears the key in the door...

As the door starts to open, Thalen fires his bow through the opening and a sound of surprise issues forth. The door swings open a little bit more as the goblin accidentally lets go of the door. Thinking quickly, Thalen drops his bow and dives for the door, to prevent it from closing. The goblin is unable to stop Thalen from getting beyond the door and tries to bash him, missing. Thalen pulls out his sword and makes short work of the goblin. After listening for any noise coming from the corridor beyond the door, he gets the key from the door, pulls both goblins into the corridor, and goes to the cave entrance to make sure that no other goblins are coming this way. He sees the ogres having a huge amount of fun, bashing the goblins around, even using some of them as boulders. Going back into the cave and the corridor beyond the door, he closes the door and locks it. Taking stock of the situation, he counts himself fortunate to have made it thus far.

"Ok," he says to himself, "time to find the others." as he slowly travels down the corridor eventually coming to a T-intersection. The passage leads straight ahead and to his left. About 20 feet or so down the left corridor is a door on the right, while about 40 feet straight ahead there are two doors, one on each side of the corridor. He decides to go down the corridor to the left. After cautiously approaching the door, he listens and hears a lot of talking going on, but in a slightly high pitch than he heard the other goblins speaking. He decides to bypass the door, keeping an ear out to any sound from behind him, and continues down the corridor to the point where it turns to the right.

Peeking around the corner, he sees the corridor continue with no doors in sight, for about 60 feet, before it turns to the left again. Slinking down the corridor, he reaches the end where it turns to the left. Thalen carefully looks around the corner and sees to goblins standing in front of a door. Hoping that his luck has held out he fires an arrow at one of them. Unfortunately, the goblins have seen him and Thalens shot misses. One of the goblins throws his javelin at Thelan glancing off the wall corner right in front of him. Thalen does not believe it would be good to let these two past him, where they might get reinforcements from the room he past, so he draws his sword and charges at them, hitting one of them enough to severely hurt, but not take him out of the action. The other goblin grabs his morningstar and swings at Thalen. "Ow, that hurts." Thalen cries to himself as blood flows from his side, "I must take the two of these out."

He swings at the one he hit previously, dealing a mighty blow that collapses the goblin. The remaining goblin attempts to deal the final blow to Thalen, but misses wildly, providing Thalen with an excellent opportunity which he takes advantage of to dispatch his remaining foe. Tired but triumphant, he checks the corridor he came down, finds no one coming and goes to the door. With the key prepared, he tries the door, finding it unlocked. Slowly and carefully opening the door rewards Thalen with the sight of his very groggy companions all tied up on the floor. The only one still unconscious is the guide, Girion. Everyone is glad to see him.

Moving quickly, he cuts the ropes binding his friends and tells them to follow him, carrying whoever cannot walk by themselves. They have their armor on, but not their weapons, and pick up the morningstars and javelins the goblins were using. Slowly creeping back the way he came, Thalen pauses at the door he listened to once more. Chin and Daloren also listen at the door, but cannot make out what is in the room. They need to get out quickly, but really do not have enough weapons to go around. Thalen leads them to the T-intersection and tells them to quietly wait. But they are not quite enough. Some smaller goblins come out of the door down the other corridor off of the T-intersection. Thalen starts running at the yelling like a mad man. They turn around in fear, back into the room, with a resounding slam of the door. Thalen checks the door and finds it locked, with the sound of things being piled against it. Turning to go back to the rest of the group, he finds that they have followed him.

"I told you to wait back there," he says. Lulla replies, "I thought you were leading the way out and so we followed you to help you." "Alright," Thalen states, "wait hear until I check out the end of the corridor." So Thalen goes down the corridor further, finding that it turns to the left and dead ends. "Great, now what. I really need to find more weapons, but I don't think they are in here. They're probably in the other cave." Thalen calls out softly to the group, "Come down here." They arrive in the dead end. "Wait here until I check the other end out. It's the best defensible position, and I don't think they will come looking this way." and off Thalen goes.

He unlocks the door he entered to get into this cave and then locks it behind himself. Carefully, he looks out the cave and sees that the goblins are taking a beating. Almost half of them are down with some of those not moving. The ogres, on the other hand, are starting to be worn down as well. Looking over to the other cave entrance, he sees only one guard, nervously watching his comrades. Thalen knocks and arrow and fires at him, and with his continuing luck, misses. The guard is caught unaware, but spots Thalen, who quickly knocks another arrow, fires and finally hits his target. The goblin falls, no longer moving.

With as much stealth as he can muster, Thalen winds his way to the other cave entrance, unnoticed. He pulls the body of the guard into the cave, leaving him out of sight. Looking down the corridor out of the back of the entrance, he goes to the first door on the right. After listen, hearing no sounds, and checking if the door was locked, he enters and his luck finally returns in full force. For what does Thalen see but a pile of weapons on a table, the weapons that belong to his friends. Grabbing a tattered blanket off of a bed, he puts the weapons into it, wrapping them up so he can carry them.

Back to the cave entrance he goes. Looking outside, he sees that the battle looks like it will end shortly, but no one is looking this way. Back to the other cave entrance, completely without notice, Thalen carries the weapons. Unlocking the door, he brings the weapons down to his friends and explains to them that they have to get out of here now, as the distraction to the goblins outside might not last much longer. They all hurry to the cave entrance and once everyone is through the door, Thalen locks it.

Looking at where the battle has been raging, Thalen sees that the ogres have left and that the goblins are starting to carry their fallen comrades down the crater, back to the caves. "Ok, we are going to have to make a run for it. I'll stay here in the entrance way to cover you and then follow behind." So the group bolts out the cave, running up the side of the crater, to get to the forest. The goblins see them. Thalen yells "Run faster!" and lets loose with an arrow, actually hitting for the first time, slaying one of the remaining eight goblins, who drops his fellow goblin he was carrying. The others each start to drop the goblin they were carrying and draw weapons.

Pug turns and lets loose with a javelin, slaying one more goblin and then starts down the crater. There are now six left. "Great," Thalen is now thinking, "now's my chance to get out with the others." But before he can move, Chin turns around a runs down the crater side towards the area to the side of the goblins, between them and the meteor. "No!!" yells Thalen. "Those idiots, now I have to stay to cover them." He fires another arrow, missing this time. Shaedra turns, hesitates for a moment, but then charges down to engage the goblins. Daloren throws a javelin, missing and moves down towards where Thalen is. Lulla stays with Girion.

The goblins are now attacking, two each at Chin, Shaedra and Thalen, with Pug heading towards Shaedra and Daloren towards Thalen. Shaedra swings mightily at one of the goblins in front of her, almost completely taking it's head off with her great sword. The other goblin in front of her connects with a morningstar, however, and even the slight hit is enough to take her down. Thalen is now using his short sword, missing completely. Daloren throws the other javelin at one of the goblins in front of Thalen, spearing it to the ground, while Pug does the same to one attempting to approach Chin, who is trying to lead the two chasing him away from the rest of the group. Unfortunately for Chin, the remaining goblin nails him hard with his morningstar, bring him down. Pug has now reached Shaedra's side and Daloren has ganged up on the goblin in front of Thalen. The goblin who brought Chin down is turning to help his comrades. Unfortunately for him, Pug takes out the goblins in front of him, Daloren takes out the one in front of Thalen and Thalen picks up his bow shooting an arrow in the returning goblin. There are no more.

After ensuring that all the goblins are dead and their fallen comrades wounds are tended to, the group heads back to their gear, carrying Girion, Chin and Shaedra. While Thalen looks after the groups unconscious fellows with Lulla, Pug and Daloren go back to the shack, bashing down the rear shutter window. They enter the room where they were captured, to find Arowain still there but this time with his jaw almost to the floor. Arowain says "I thought you were all done for." Pug responds, "No quite yet. How come the goblins didn't attack you?"

Arowain goes on to explain: "The goblins are there to mine the mithral from the fallen star. I am using the mithral to create, what is called, a Coin of Power. Unfortunately, the evil witch Daresh is forcing me to do this. She promises to let me go once I have finished with the work, but I believe she is just going to kill me. The Coin of Power is a very powerful thing, and very evil. The goblins also are here to make sure that nothing happens to me, although after bashing a few heads in I'm sure Daresh is going to let them have their way with me once my work is done."

As Arowain finishes, the front door swings open violently and there is a Dejy woman standing there. "What's this I see? Intruders. Well, you will never have the Coin. It is mine." And with that, she levitates the coin to her hand crying "Mine, MINE, MIAWWEEEWEEE". Arowain yells, "Wait, the final ingredient. I haven't finished yet." Meanwhile, as Daresh closed her hand on the red hot coin, it burned, melting her skin, grafting itself to her palm. She reels in agony.

Thalen has, at this point, crept around the shack to the front, bow ready. He fires a shot a Daresh, totally missing. Daresh points a finger at Pug, saying "You will pay for this, you slug". Pug starts to respond with "That's Pug, you ugly...." when Arowain screams "No!!!!" pushing Pug out of the way. A bolt of black shoots forth from Daresh's hand where the coin is now pulsating as if it were alive, hitting Arowain in the shoulder. Arowain's shoulder explodes, as his arm is ripped off, while his body suddenly starts withering. Daresh gestures with her hand, steps forward and disappears.

Pug rushes over to Arowain who cries "Don't touch me or you will die as well. Listen carefully. The final ingredient for the Coin was blood. Unfortunately, when Daresh grabbed the coin and it fused with her, it got the blood from her. They will now fed off of each other, gaining more and more power, until they cannot be stopped. Only another coin can stop her and the only other person I now who can make one is Halaan. Go to Veoden and tell him what has happened." With that, Arowain dies, as a severe storm starts raging outside.

What will the group do next?

wsclark

Explorer
Session VI - We Got What We Came For, Now Let's Go Home

Harvest 28th, 744 YND

It's raining. No, it's pouring. No, it's coming down in sheets and waves as our intrepid group holes itself up for the night in the ramshackle shack that was once the prison workshop of Arowain the Alchemist. It has been a very, very long day and everyone does their best to fortify the entrances to the shack so they can get some rest. They stay in the shack overnight, through the entire next day and night finally felling fit enough to venture forth after a full two nights rest. While staying in the shack, they rummage around for anything useful, finding some alchemists tools, books and scrolls. Lulla takes the books and scrolls, figuring to start developing her ingrain talent for alchemy.

Frosting 2nd, 744 YND

The torrential downpours have made a mess of the area, essentially turning it into one huge mud puddle. The first order of business is the cremation of Arowain. The group is sorry that they must do this, but their is no way they believe they can make it back to Haanex with his body. After cremating Arowain, they check out the meteor. Yes, they is mithral in it, but it is going to take several days to get enough ore out to have a pound of the stuff.

To cover their backs, they decide to check out the caves to make sure the goblins aren't a threat. They enter the cave system to their right first as this was the one they were held captive in. Upon entering the cave, they find the door they locked smashed to pieces. The goblins that were inside are not there any more.

Off to the cave on the left, checking each room as they go by. The first guard barracks proves to be a windfall as they find a mithral nugget weighing a pound hidden in the bedpost of one of the bunk beds. Onwards they go, collecting anything useful they find along the way. Unfortunately for Pug, he is caught in a trap of flaming oil as they try to go into one room. And Chin finds a secret door that connects to the room they were held, in the other cave system. But that's all they find as the remaining goblins had pulled out during the first night of the vicious storm.

Now that they feel much more secure, they start to mine the meteor for another pound of mithral. The groups wants to keep the pound nugget for themselves, for it might be valuable. They mine the meteor for the remainder of the day and the entire next day. Finally on the following day, they start heading for home.

Frosting 4th, 744 YND

The air is turning colder with the approach of winter as the group starts the four day journey back to Haanex. About mid-afternoon, Chin spots something white slowing moving in a clearly off to his left. He takes off running towards it as it might be some animal to catch to supplement the dwindling food supplies of the group. He gets to about 30 feet from the clearing when a horses head comes up and stares directly at him. He suddenly stops. The horse doesn't move. Lulla moves up to Chin and after a brief discussion slowly walks to the edge of the clearing while preparing herself to speak with animals (DM's note: Lulla has this because she is a gnome.)

When she reaches the clearing, she tries to talk to the horse. It is not going well, as she seems to get images of things in her mind, but nothing very coherent. It's just not working. One of the images catches her mind's eye, that of Chin preparing a rope into a lasso. As she starts to contemplate this, the pegasus in the clearing unfolds its wings and takes to the air. Everyone is astonished that they had a close encounter with such a magnificent creature.

They continue on, finding a good place to spend the night, which is uneventful

Frosting 5th, 744 YND

The group spends the entire day traveling back to Haanex, camping for the evening in a nice small clearing. While getting ready to prepare dinner, they spot some fire light from off in the distance. They quietly travel over to where the light is and see two large creatures by what looks like a cooking fire, apparently arguing. There is a large sack on the ground next to them and there appears to be something alive in it as the sack is moving a bit. Daloren over hears some of the conversation, with things like who is going to do the cooking and who is going to get to eat first. They decide that this is probably not a good thing for whatever is in the sack, so in order to find out what is going on, Lulla casts a ghost sound spell, sounding like a bear, off in the woods in order to lure the two creatures away.

The creatures don't quite believe the sound but head to the edge of the other side of the clearing, just to make sure. As they walk off, one of them takes a great club and lightly taps the sack on the ground, which crumples. Daloren and Chin quietly run up to the sack and look inside, seeing a dwarf. With not enough time to take him with them, they head back to the woods to tell the others what they found.

The group decides to rescue the poor dwarf. Lulla and Girion head off through the woods around towards the other side of the clearing while the two large creatures return to their fire pit and their arguing. Shaedra and Thalen take positions between where Lulla and Girion are and where Daloren, Chin and Pug wait to rush forth to grab the dwarf. With everything ready, Lulla casts a dancing lights spell off in the woods where she originally cast the ghost sound of the bear.

The ogres, upon seeing the dancing lights, go roaring off into the woods. This allows Chin, Daloren and Pug to race up to the sack, grab it and start to make off for the safety of the woods. Unfortunately, it takes a little too long as they make a bit of noise just as the dancing lights spell wears off. The ogres turn around and come running back after the puny humans that are stealing their dinner. The ogres catch up to the group of Shaedra, Thalen, Chin, Daloren and Pug. One throws his huge greatspear at Pug, but misses. Meanwhile, Shaedra and Pug go up to the other ogre, Shaedra severely wounding it with Pug finishing it off. This enrages the first ogres who now closes in on Daloren. Daloren tries to attack the huge creature but fails as he is pounded by the creatures enormous fists and knock down, critically wounded. The rest of the groups surrounds the remain ogre and takes it down.

Daloren is healed by Lulla and the group takes a quick 5 minute breather. The question is, what are they going to do with the dwarf?

wsclark

Explorer
Session VII - What Have We Gotten Ourselves Into?

Frosting 5th, 744 YND

We last left our group of adventures sifting through the remains of two ogres that were apparently going to eat a finely dress dwarf for dinner. After ransacking the bodies and taking whatever they thought was valuable, our intrepid group carries their spoils, the unconscious dwarf and the weapons of the ogres, a huge greatspear and greatclub, back to their campsite. They use the ogres weapons to fuel their fire while rousing the dwarf.

After getting the dwarf conscious, they find out that Stiruck is a merchant dealing in fine clothing. His caravan was attacked and he barely escaped with his life. Unfortunately for him, he ran into these two ogres. He thanks the group for saving him and asked them if they would be so kind as to escort him to the nearest town. They agree. He also asks them if they happened to find an ornate dagger in the things they recovered from the ogre as it was a family heirloom. The group reluctantly returns the dagger to him and they do not even ask if there was anything else that might have been his. Stiruck decides at this point that just getting back to a town might be the wisest thing to do, instead of pressing this group for his twenty gold pieces that he is sure they have.

They spend the evening and the next two days traveling back to Haanex.

Frosting 7th, 744 YND

It is late in the afternoon, the sun setting, when our adventurers see the outskirts of Haanex. They head to the town. When they arrive, the split their spoils with the guide Girion who goes on his way after declining to join in on their adventures. He tells them that he has other business matters to attend to, but if they ever are back in the area to look him up as he would be interested in the tales of them surviving any adventures they have. He has an interesting grin on his face as he says this and walks away.

They take Stiruck to Pug's house, offering him a good, hearty meal and a room to stay in for the night. Stiruck mentally notes that at least they didn't take advantage of him and helped him out, at least for the night. The group then goes directly off to see Veoden.

They knock on Veoden's door and he answers, looking, at first, puzzled because he didn't recognize the rag tag dirty group and then changing to surprise when he realizes who they are. He tells them to come in saying that he is quite happy to see them.

While Chin tries to tell Veoden everything that happened, Veoden quickly interrupts him to find out if they got the mithral. When they respond yes, he brings them up to his lab to examine the ore. Upon examination, Veoden tells the group that he is pleased and tells them to return to the sitting room where he will meet them in a few minutes. The group decided to hold on to the one pound nugget they found for themselves.

Upon returning to the sitting room, Veoden gives the group 100 gold pieces as payment and proceeds to ask about how they found the ore. At this point, the group, led by Chin, relate the entire tale of their two week adventure. When they come to the part about Arowain and later Daresh, Veoden becomes quite concerned and ushers his guests out of the tower, asking them to stay in Haanex until he contacts them. He tells them that he has another task for them - a much more important one.

The group leaves and goes to the Ki-Ren's rest, obtaining rooms, a fresh bath and some good food. All that is except for Pug. He returns home to his family's house and speaks with Stiruck. The group wants to find out if Stiruck would be willing to sell the gems they have found and at what price, figuring that him being a dwarf, he would have a good eye on the gem trade. Stiruck agrees to do this in the morning for a 10% commission. Pug agrees.

Later that night, the group receives a note saying "Please come to my tower at your earliest convenience. There is something we must discuss." They leave the tavern, picking up Pug from his house and head to Veoden's tower. This time, however, Veoden receives them looking fully rested for the first time. Once they are all comfortable in the sitting room once again, Veoden speaks to them.

"Something of terrible import has happened. The Coin you witnessed Arowain make is an item of great strength. It is my understanding that its power continues to grow as long as its owner lives. Furthermore, using the Coin will corrupt the wielder to embrace the ways of evil. Normally this would not trouble me, for the Coin tends to destroy the one who uses it after only a few days or weeks. Unfortunately, from what you have said about this wizard Daresh and what happened to her, this is not the case. The Coin will not destroy her. The two will feed off each other and that will keep her alive. Her powers will continue to grow.

I've not heard of this Halaan that Arowain recommended but I do know someone who can possibly tell you how to find him. Seek out the Wizard Geolain in the city of Zoa to the south and tell him that I've sent you. He is a friend of mine from days past and he is very good at getting information. He can tell you how to locate Halaan. Do you agree to undertake this task?"

The group ponders momentarily before heartily agreeing. They ask Veoden if he knows of someone they can get horses from. Veoden tells them that they need to get to Zoa as quickly as possible and the best way to do that is by boat. In fact Veoden tells them he will arrange passage for them in the morning. He also provides them with directions to Geolain's tower in Zoa and he will contact them tomorrow after he has made arrangements for their voyage. He bids them a good night and for the first time in two weeks, our good hearted adventures get a decent night's sleep.

Frosting 8th, 744YND

They awake the next morning spend a large portion of time outfitting themselves on a shopping spree. Basically buying essential items like rations, a few also purchase some new weapons and Chin buys a barrel, just in case something happens during their voyage so he has something to float on. Stiruck manages to get some very good prices for their small gems, pleasing the group. He also finally realizes that they are a bunch of novice adventures and decides to give them a break, telling them that he knows some dwarves in Zoa, who owe him a favor and if they are in need of hospitality they should look up Purguld the blacksmith. They thank the dwarf and wish him a safe journey home.

Veoden contacts the group in the late morning letting them know that he has booked passage for them on a ship called the Forsaken, a cog that is sailing with the evening tide. He hopes their passage is a swift one. He also mentions that he has already paid captain Pocaat for the voyage.

They finish up their shopping, although Pug has given much of what he has earned to his family and board the ship late that after noon. The ship sails with the evening tide.

Frosting 12th, 744 YND

Sailing through the Reanaarian Bay for the last three days as gone very well. But today, the wind dies and the sails fall limp. All is calm. The rest of the day, the ship simply sits in the sea, the crew becoming restless and the captain and officers nervous. When the group asks about it, the crew replies that the weather doesn't feel natural - the winds are usually reliable in this region. This calm leads into the night.

Frosting 13th, 744 YND

Everyone awoke to the same conditions as the previous day, a dead still sea. The crew is becoming more nervous by the hour. Even people trying to catch some fish are having no luck whatsoever. The group decides to perform night guard duty, in addition to the normal crew rotations.

Very late that night, while Shaedra and Thalen are on watch (along with Chin who has decided to sleep during the day and stay up all night), one of the crew screams as she is thrown overboard. They turn to see this green creatures, with great staring deep black eyes, scaly skin with webbed fingers and toes and mouths filled with sharp fangs. The other crew member on watch yells out "sea devils!!". Everyone quickly goes into action. Chin rushes towards the spot where the sailor was thrown over the railing while Shaedra deals with the two that have come over the bow of the ship and Thalen yells down into the cargo hold where the sailors quarters are to awaken them. Meanwhile, a fourth creature appears at the stern. Shaedra manages to approach one of the two on the bow and attacks, causing it some pain. Chin is trying to take out the one that threw the girl overboard but is not having much success besides hitting it the first time. Thalen begins shooting at the other one on the bow.

The fourth creatures charges at Chin, who is cornered against a rail in his battle with his foe. The charge is quite successful and Chin goes backwards over the side of the ship. The battle rages on. Pug, without having any armor on, comes up out of a hatch and is quickly surrounded by the two creatures that were dealing with Chin. Shaedra lands a mighty blow, killing the creature in front of her. Thalen continues to miss the other creature with his bow.

Pug takes his greataxe and swings mightily, cutting right through one of the two creatures he is facing, and continues on right through the second!! He has even surprised himself. Chin is rescuing the sailor who went overboard. The remaining creature jumps over the bow and into the sea. Fortunately for everyone, no one was hurt.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases