DM - Assistance on Character Creation

youspoonybard

First Post
Hello!

I was planning out a character, but I ran into some trouble. Due to the 3 class limit and all, I wished to start of as a Human Bard with the following point-buy stats -

Str 17
Dex 18
Con 8
Int 8
Wis 8
Cha 9.

This is a 30-point buy, yet because NWN forces all Level 1 Bards to have at least 11 charisma, I cannot do it. Is there a way for a DM to change my stats to these? I would be most appreciative.

youspoonybard

Last edited:

Greylock

First Post
If you have classes and levels planned out, try starting as your second class choice, then taking Bard at second level. NWN doesn't enforce the mins after 1st level, unless I'm grossly mistaken.

youspoonybard

First Post
Two prestige classes. I've done the bard-second thing before.

It's a Bard/RDD/Shadowdancer Parry build, with Self-Concealment IV, Epic Dodge. I was making a defensive character to tank those Weaponmasters...

And non-casting bards are still VERY viable, due to the immense strength of the Bardsong. Crazy...a bard song + curse song = +7 to hit, +7 to ac, which stacks with everything...

Last edited:

Greylock

First Post
Jumpin' jiminy...

How many chars do you have on the server? And can't you hold off some of the points in DEX or STR for 12 levels? The skill point cost alone means you won't see either of the PrCs coming up for a while.

(A long while, considering the negative INT.)

Last edited:

youspoonybard

First Post
Dex 30 requirement is very steep for Self-Concealment. Even with these stats, I can only squeeze it in at the high 30's.

Str 17 is for Dev Crit, which is almost a necessity for warrior types.

And, as a Human, I get 4 skill points per level for my bard levels, which make the prereqs rather easy. 8 ranks in lore for RDD first, then go into shadowdancer later. Although the timing on when I take levels is rather precise and complicated; I had to test the build 3 times to get it right : )

Last edited:

Greylock

First Post
I'd love to see how you arrive at this build. Have you worked it out in NWN offline? The feat expenditure, skill cost, ability boosts - natural and through feats, makes this combo seem highly unlikely unless you are already nearing 40th level.

[You edited while I was writing. Pray tell, I'd love to see this build.]

Last edited:

youspoonybard

First Post
Yes. It's a 40 build. I love making builds, I do this stuff myself : )

I haven't nailed down the order of the non-epic feats, but I take Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Dodge, Mobility, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus: Dagger, and Improved Crit: Dagger.

Build is Bard 5/Red Dragon Disciple 9/Bard 1 (Hide Prereqs)/Shadow Dancer 4/Red Dragon Disciple 1 (Pump Parry)/Shadow Dancer 14/Bard 1 (Delay the Shadow Dancer epic feat until you get 30 dex)/Shadow Dancer 4/Bard 1.

Pump Dex at every level increase, save the level 40 one. I'm still deciding to put that one in strength or charisma.

Overwhelming Crit at 21, Dev Crit at 24, so I'm free to get XP slaughtering drow. Great Dex at 27, Epic Dodge at 28 (SD Bonus feat), Great dex again at 30, Epic Skill Focus: Parry at 32 (SD Bonus feat), Great Dex at 33, then delay the SD 19 by taking Bard at 35th level. At Level 36, the ability increase makes Dex 30, which lets you take Self Concealment I & II, then 3 levels later take III and IV. Level 40 is a bard level, since SD doesn't get you anything at that point.

Greylock

First Post
And here I am worrying how to get my little ol' Ranger/Rogue/Shadowdancer some AC.

Never really went for the builds, although it's a hallowed NWN tradition :) .

What will you do with that char? He'll certainly be the behometh of the server once he's done.

youspoonybard

First Post
No, she is pretty bad, actually : ) Niche character.

She is defensive - Has a high AC, parry, self-concealment, Epic Dodge - is very hard to hit with physical attacks.

But she doesn't have a high attack bonus at all. Only 3 (+1 haste) attacks per round, as well. Magic will slaughter her. One trick pony on offense - If she can crit it, she can get the Dev crit in eventually...but her non-crit damage output isn't great, and enemies later on tend to be immune to crits.

She's definetly in need of a team, with more offense. Still, she can keep the enemy distracted, and hopefully lower their AC with taunt.

If only Yuuichi and Mamorikata could play at the same time ; )

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases