The Creation Schema:THE FINAL BATTLE FOR POSSESSION OF THE SCHEMA

EBERRON
02/26/05
SEGMENT 044
A NEW DIRECTION PART I

Bodies are buried and taken care of.

Kerri has business in Wroat, Breland and offers a ride to Sharn to Cedious, Bomnel and Balkroth. They accept if only to get away from the island.

She and the Tharashk Smite interrogate them for the entire several weeks it takes to reach the mainland and finally Sharn. She asks over and over about what was in the mines, what was in the halls and what else was there of note. The Khyber Pit and the Darkness Room bother her. The Khyber Pit will need to be sealed and the room investigated.

She cares little for the Creation Schema and House Cannith. However when the subject is brought up to her she mentions something Cedious was not aware of. House Cannith is a divided house. There is three separate divisions working currently. North, South and West are not united and it is thought that they may work against each other at times. She distrusts Merrix d’Cannith whom is in charge of Cannith South and lives in Sharn. What has happened to them sounds like his work.

They reach Sharn and the Trust spy disappears into the city leaving the unlikely duo of a halfling rogue and ½ Giant psychic Warrior to wander the docks. They make way to the inner city and Cedious tries to decide what to sell and what not to sell. He still has a lot of money that once belonged to a party that included 5-6 more people. Some goods could not be saved (Khora’s armor) while others were (Boddynoc’s Rope of Entanglement).

After a few days they are walking at night across a bridge the Districts of Precarious and Callestan together. The ½ Giant spots a large flying creature overhead. A giant owl to be specific. It swoops down to them and hovers as Cedious takes cover. A scroll is dropped into the ½ Giant’s hands then the creature flies away through the maze of towers and bridges that make up Sharn.

“What is it?” asks Cedious in obvious excitement.

“Parchment attached to two pieces of wood with a leather strap encased in a treated paper and wood tube” answers the ½ Giant with a smirk. He thinks he has become a comedian.

“To Cedious and party- “

“Who is it from?”

“I haven’t gotten that far yet Ced.”

“Read whom it’s from then !!!”

“Uh….Beth.”

“Beth?”

“Uh-oh….Beth d’Cannith”

The now mellow ½ ling motions for him to read the scroll.

To Cedious and party-

Allow me to offer my greatest apologies and sympathies to you and your lose while working for House Cannith. I fear you have been mistreated and used by members of the family with their own personal goals in mind. This is not the House Cannith way. We wish to make up for the wrongs and offer any help we can.

I have been asked to meet with you in Underlook District. I will wait for you on the bridge connecting Tower Ferros and Tower Cyros at the 22nd Bell.

Beth d’Cannith

“Do we go?”

“Sure. The worse we can do is run her throw and go on the run …again.” Comments Cedious.

Last edited:

EBERRON
02/26/05
SEGMENT 045
A NEW DIRECTION PART II

From the tower they can see a cloaked woman in blue and a VERY large warforged. She is leaning on the bridge rail and looks down into the maze below. The warforged scans everywhere for trouble of any sort. He alerts her the moment the two walk into view from Tower Ferros.

As they get closer, they see several details. She is dressed in Cannith colors but has an aura of an adventurer about her. She is obviously impatient to be sitting here on the bridge. The warforged bodyguard seems concerned about the open exposure. He is big and has built up arms, back and hip that suggests weapon storage areas.

Whether these two are House Cannith or not, they are well equipped.

“Welcome Cedious. I am Beth d’Cannith and this is Bludgeon. He watches over my welfare.”

“I’m sure. What do you want?”

Balkroth is uncomfortable that he sees eye to eye with the warforged. He had heard of larger models being made but to see one…”

“I offer proper reward and compensation for the work you have done for House Cannith and more rewards if you will met with my Matron Jorlanna d’Cannith in Fairhaven.”

“Fairhaven ….Aundair?”

“Yes. We would travel by private car on the Electric Rail.”

Cedious likes that. Private car. That means money and many personal comforts. He looks up at the warrior whom nods his approval.

“Okay.”

Balkroth would not have gone if it involved the Cannith West division. He has ..history with them.

She makes haste with them to the rail and leaves immediately. It takes many days to reach Aundair. They speak of their adventurers in Sharn, Darguun, Zilargo and even the island. She enjoys the entire conversation. She often adds how much she enjoys traveling to far away places and is happy that she does so. She is pleased that they do also.

They travel through Breland into Thrane and finally into Aundair. On the way they see many things. What they did not see much of was the warforged that tried to make the train at Sharn but missed. The ½ Giant saw him briefly as the car moved along.

Fairhaven is very different from Sharn. Though there are towers, they seemed limited to a mere few floors. The city is much more spread out than reaching up to the sky. The forest and waters show that the country is healthy. They see it is very magical also. Though it lacks flying cars and transportation, it has a magical feel to it. The sky is blue and crystal clear. Perfect.

“We are there.” She announces as their coach stops.

EBERRON
02/26/05
SEGMENT 046
A NEW DIRECTION PART III

Even Cedious and Balkroth are impressed.

The multi-towered facility is made from white stone with bright blue and gold trim. The blue and gold trim is highly reflective and magical looking. There are several shrubs that have been trimmed to look like magical creatures and two separate water fountains. Each depicts a tower of fish with water spilling out from their mouths in many different levels and intensities.

A single small warforged can be seen trimming the shrubs in the background. Several guards stand at the doorway where the coach stops. They open the door and hold their hand out for Beth d’Cannith to use to step down. Instead she hopes out and waits for Bludgeon to step off the back of the coach. The coach creaks as he steps off and comes to her side.

“Welcome to House Cannith. I hope you will be impressed and enjoy its view and pleasures.” And with a mischievous smile, she turns and hurries onward to the main entrance.

Cedious hopes down and looks about as he tries to catch up. The ½ Giant draws attention from one guard. He stands several feet over him and smiles. The guard looks away and makes no effort to hinder them further. They catch up with Beth as she goes through the main door into a large open dome space with many doors leading away. She holds out her Cannith signet ring and each door opens as she nears it. The others make a point to stay close as the doors close on their own a second or two later.

The walls are all white with blue and gold trim. Plants and caged birds adorn the hallways making it look and feel very comfortable. Guards stand here and there. They watch but do not hinder Beth as she and her warforged guardian march through. Finally they reach another dome shaped room with many doors. Beth slows down briefly to speak with a bird that sings to her from its perch within its golden cage. She then continues on looking back briefly with a smile and a twinkle in her eye.

Finally, they stop and she turns with her back to a set of double doors with the image of a Gorgon and Anvil mounted by gears on it. “Welcome to the main hall. Inside awaits the true Matron of Cannith- Baroness Jorlanna d’ Cannith. Please be respectful.”

She opens the double doors and Bludgeon waits for the two adventurers to proceed inside. He then closes the doors and waits outside.

The room is 120ft long and 50 ft wide. A series of long tables and chairs fill the center. These tables could seat a few hundred people with ease. At the far end is a woman dressed in the House Cannith blue.

Beth walks up and pauses. Jorlanna nods and Beth turns and stands by her side. “Lady Jorlanna, I would like to introduce the two surviving adventurers that sought the Creation Schema as hired by Lady Elaydren of Cannith South. They are- “

The middle-aged woman of great beauty and grace looks up and interrupts her. “ Cedious. Retriever of goods and information. Expert in ways of thievery and mischief. Balkroth. ½ Giant with powers of the mind used to bolster his already great and awesome bodily strength. Also wanted by Cannith West for some crime against Lady Duras within the Lhazaar Principalities. Yes, I know of you- both of you. Please sit and allow me to offer food and drink before we begin.” She snaps her fingers and trays of snacks, foods and drinks float to the table as directed by a few Magewrights that remain to the edge of the room.

Cedious goes for the hardest drink offered. Drake Blood from the Mror Holds. The dwarven drink burns even his throat going down. The ½ Giant is happy with an enlarged chicken leg in a Sweet spicy sauce that he figures originated from Shadow Marshes. Very good.

“Please Cedious- please tell me everything. Give me every detail concerning Lady Elaydren and the Creation Schema. Everything.”

Cedious takes a deep gulp that makes his eyes water. “everything…? Well okay.”

EBERRON
02/26/05
SEGMENT 047
A NEW DIRECTION PART IV

The following is an expanded version of what was said while gaming. I figured it would not hurt to have a “What has happened before-“ segment. It has been slightly edited since I’m sure Cedious would NOT talk about his direct theft of goods in Sharn and the likes.

“It began on a rainy night in Sharn a few months ago. We were returning from a night of drinking and gambling when we came across the just slain body of a Morgrave University professor named Bonel Geldem. The killer was a warforged that we in turn killed.”

“We?”

“Boddynoc Grinkle, a gnome artificer, Khora a human cleric, Bonds, a warforged barbarian and Temper a warforged fighter and myself.”

“Go on”

“We identify him as Bonel even as the police show up. Sgt Dolem was the investigating officer. After prove our innocence we are released and are contacted by Lady Elaydren.”

“How were you contacted?”

“Someone wearing a Cannith ring told us to meet her at the Broken Anvil Tavern. Since we were all jobless we went. She was waiting us inside.”

“How was she dressed? What did she do? Anything you can tell me would be appreciated.”

Grumbling in his mind Cedious continues. “She had a dark blue cloak on. Very fine and well crafted. Black hair with expensive and possibly magical hairpieces. She wore a Cannith ring also. She was very quiet and polite to us. She offered us all drinks and we accepted. She introduced herself as Lady Elaydren d’Cannith …or was it Vown? Anyway- she said she was an employer of Bonel.”

“Lady Elaydren Vown …now married to a true blood and known as Elaydren d’Cannith. Go on.”

Cedious takes a handful of seasoned nuts and puffed rice. “Bonel was hired to locate a family heirloom. An heirloom lost long ago. Bonel was close to discovering where it was. By using a lost journal from Cannith forefathers, he had leads but could not discern where the heirloom was. He was to meet her that night but was struck down. She then offered us 1000 gold and a favor from House Cannith if we picked up from where Bonel left off. Since she paid some up front, we all agreed.”

“Boddynoc tried to decipher the journal. He did figure out a few things about the heirloom in question.”

“Oh- like what?”

“It was a creation Schema. A device that aided in making magic work when creating things. This one was specific to warforged. He had hoped it would tell him how to create a warforged but it did not or he did not get that far.”

“The creation of a living and thinking warforged requires several schemas. This one merely speeds thing up. From years to a week or ten days. Go on.”

“Well we located the value gate to the sewers numbered as E-213 within the Dorasharn Tower. After working out arrangements for a guide with a goblin and some shifters that is. We found the main entrance by using the magic of the journal and a ring Elaydren gave us.”

“In time we found the Foundry . Most of the structures were in ruins but the Cannith building was still intact. Inside were several Iron Defenders, which we defeated with ease. Eventually we found the piece and tried to get out.”

“Describe it to me. In detail.”

“It was a 7 point star. Adamantine I believe. One point at the top and one at the bottom. To the one side were three points and the other side were two points that looked like they could fit into each other if there were two of them. There were runes on it.”

“Did anyone else see or handle it?”

Unsure if he should say anything, Cedious looks at his large friend.

“Well?”

“We .. I didn’t know it at the time but Boddynoc had it studied and a copy made by a gnome friend of his.”

This news takes her back. She was not aware of this. “Who?”

“I don’t know. Boddynoc was looking to get into a group of pro-Zilargo gnomes named the Trust.”

She takes in a deep breath and lets it out slowly while looking at Beth. Beth merely continues to smile and shrugs a brief shrug.

“Who has it now?”

“As per the agreement, we gave Elaydren the piece but kept the journal, ring and the copy. She was so happy, I don’t think she realized or cared that we still had the journal or the ring.”

“Sloppy. Go on.”

“A warforged was there, trailing us. It tried to get the schema but failed. We didn’t hear from her again for a few months until recently when she tried to contact us. We arrived at the House Sivis message station just after a warforged with several kobolds had attacked. We were to meet her at the Broken Anvil again.”

“When we showed up, she was a nervous wreck. She wore ratty clothes and her was a mess. She wasn’t wearing any hairpieces. She was on edge and scared. She gave us a haversack that contained instructions, money and supplies and before we could ask anything more the warforged attacks the tavern along with his kobold friends. She disappears during the disturbance.”

“And within the sack…?”

“As I said- supplies and money. Also in the sack were instructions on how to find the Rose Quarry in Cyre and boarding passes. We left immediately for Darguun.”

“I suspected Whitehearth may have had a piece. Our own research suggested it. Go on.”

“From here, everything kinda falls apart. We were to meet a guy named Failen. Instead, we arrive to a city in a riot state that is hunting down non-gobloids. Khora falls, killed by a big Ogre.”

“To make matters worse, a necromancer was following us and making small attacks to slow us down.”

“The Emerald Claw.” She hisses.

“Yup.”

“Who is this Failin?”

“Don’t know much. Guess he once worked for you or at least Cannith south. He was suppose to know where the Quarry is.”

The Baroness is lost in thought for a moment as Cedious takes a few drinks of his alcohol and tries some
Karrnath Sausage.

“So we are forced to not us him as a resource. We come onto a trade house along the river where the Emerald claw has been. It appeared a vampire- undead creature was among the crew. Later we learned he was a changeling. Anyway- they took the horses and had left for the Quarry. We were told of a ranger whom could lead us there and so we go. I forget his name. It was obvious he did not like the warforged in our group. On the way we were joined by a fighter with an unique fighting style. He used over-sized weapons of mass destruction. The Emerald Claw tried to kill him. He joined us if only to get another chance at them. The ranger led the five of us into the woods and hills after paying him some money. We had thought the quarry was outside the mists but we were wrong. The mists seem to move forward and back. On this day, the quarry was inside the mists. So in we go.”

“Describe the mists to me.” Jorlanna asks with special interest.

“It is easy to get lost in. The mist blocks visibility. Sometimes we can see murky images ten feet away and other times we can’t see the hands before our faces. Sometimes I felt …an awareness within the mist. No doubt just my nerves. It was an unpleasant experience in truth. Somehow we kept together and emerged on the far side. Then it got freaky.”

Beth smirks as Jorlanna seems to try to guess what he means by freaky. Finally she stops Cedious and asks to be more specific.

“Freaky. It got scary and unnatural.”

“How so?”

“The bodies of soldiers were still there, as if they only were struck down within a minute of our arriving. There was no decay, rot or smell. They were perfectly preserved.”

Jorlanna silently makes a note in her mind about investigating the preserving powers of the Mournlands for possible food storage and transportation purposes.

“We followed the horse tracks to the Rose Quarry. There we fought and defeated a small army of Emerald Claw members. I myself took out their leader- the changeling. We explored the ruined town looking for the clues that were said to lead to where the secret facility was.”

“Whitehearth.”

“Yup. We found where they tried to destroy a map room but we were able to figure it out and went there.” Says Cedious looking away to find the fact it was they that destroyed the map room. “Getting in was easy enough, even with the electrical magic traps and security measures taken. Inside we found all the workers had died but remained pristine just like the soldiers outside. However, the inmates still lived.”

Jorlanna notes that humans die but not animals as Cedious continues. “Wolves, some experimented on, lived there. They were trapped and could not escape the facility.”

“How did they survive? Did they no longer require food?” asks Beth in awe. It doesn’t require and artifact developer to know she wants to go there now to explore.

“The wolves …uh… the wolves ate… ate the workers.”

“That facility could not have had that many workers. Are you mistaken?” asks Jorlanna.

“No. I am not mistaken. Whatever preserves the bodies also regenerates them.” If Jorlanna or Beth were disturbed by this news neither show it. “There were also magical creatures there. Our artificer suggested they were spells that took on a life of their own.”

“What else was there?”

“We found elementals that were lose and causing damage. We defeated them. We found something that used molten goo. We guessed it to be a weapon of some sort. It was …damaged when fighting the elementals.”

“Go on Cedious.”

“After defeating them, we found the Creation Schema piece we were looking for a duplicate piece.”

“Duplicate?”

“Yup. Both were made up of Adamantine and diamond shaped. Like the first piece, it had runes inscribed on it and had small rods and prongs sticking out of the back.”

Jorlanna looks at Beth. It is as if they each know what the other is thinking. “Continue Cedious.”

“We also found a 2ft round plate.”

Beth sits upright. Jorlanna continues to stare while taking a sip from her Aundair wine. “Go on please. Give details.”

“The plate had similar runes and markings as the two pieces we had. It looked like the pieces fit together on it. Boddynoc dug through the journal and found a drawing of it. It was called a Base Plate. It was the main piece of the Creation Schema.”

“Where is it now?”

“We …Elaydren stole it from us.” Cedious lies.

“Where is the journal? Stolen also?”

“Yes.”

Jorlanna stares at him while holding her wine close to her mouth. Finally she says- “Continue.”

“We tried to get back directly since we told we would be paid by Elaydren in Darguun. Instead we got lost and separated in the mists. I found myself north of everyone. I met up with Elaydren and Boddynoc in the city later.”

“Details.”

“According to Boddynoc, they ran into a bugbear patrol still looking to kill any non-goblinoid. The two warforged and the fighter with the big weapons were killed for no reason other than the pleasure of the bugbears.”

“The bastards.” Chimes in the ½ Giant whom has heard this story before but without the lies.

“It must have been quite the adventure.” Adds Beth to Cedious. “Traveling Darguun’s wilderness by yourself is very dangerous.”

“Oh- I wasn’t alone….” He shuts up quickly. Cedious is uncertain whether to mention Dar or not.

“Details dear boy. I want ALL of the details. Who did you travel with in Darguun?”

“I met a bugbear with the brightest blue eyes I have ever seen. He was dressed in copper tone armor with a red cape and black and high lites. He was a very powerful warrior whom had a thing against many of his kind. He helped me reach the Goblin City before leaving.”

Jorlanna suspects there is more to this Dar than meets the eye but says nothing.

“Anyway- I arrived on her barge- Lady Elaydren’s barge. Boddynoc arrived shortly there after. We gave her the one copy of the piece as agreed by.”

“And the copy?”

“We …ah .. we kept it in secret.”

“And the base plate?”

“We bartered for it. It wasn’t part of the original deal so we wanted something to show for it. She was quite taken with it. She seemed to know a lot about it. Certainly more than we did.”

“I thought you said she stole it from you?” asks Beth d’Cannith.

“She did. We stopped at a port in Zilargo so that she could get the money to pay us for the plate and had some flunkies rob us. After that she had us set up for a crime we did not do.”

“You seem very capable. I am surprised mere flunkies could ever rob you.”

“Did I say flunkies? I’m sorry. There were six of them. They attacked us using magic. It was really unsporting of them.” Cedious lies.

“So she has two pieces of the Schema, and two copies of each piece. She has the Base Plate and the journal that gives clues to its whereabouts and usage. Anything else?

“That sounds like it. She did steal most of my money also. I have so little to use in a city so big and grand.” Cedious says to plant ideas in Jorlanna’s mind of payment and services. “After surviving a shipwreck and a cursed island we made it here.”

Jorlanna remains quiet for a long time. Then she clears her throat and motions to Beth.

“I have a proposal for you and your large friend.”

EBERRON
02/26/05
SEGMENT 048
A NEW DIRECTION PART V

“For a gold a week, we wish to retain your services for answering any questions we have or think of regarding the Schema. We will give you free room and board here at our facility with its many comforts. If you agree, then we may pay you extra to aid us in locating the other pieces and possibly even retrieving our pieces from any outside party (s) that may have them. This includes the Emerald Claw, the Warforged and anyone else that may want the artifact for themselves.”

Cedious looks up at Balkroth whom is smiling. He likes the idea of living for free in luxury home where all he has to do is answer questions if asked. Since he never even saw the pieces, he won’t even have to do that. Niiice.

“and what of Merrix?”

“If we need to, we will deal with him also. Agreed?”

“Yup.”

“Excellent. I’ll have House Sivis and House Kundarak draw up the contracts.”

Cedious swallows his drink hard.

During the next three weeks, they enjoy a simple life of simple pleasures. Food, relaxation and rest. Cedious makes further use of the magewrights at Cannith. He has his weapon improved and pays them with money (without letting the Baroness know of course).

Finally, during the fourth week, Cedious decides he needs to get out. He and Balkroth go out to check out the bars in Aundair. They visit the Green Dragon. While Cedious is drinking his third brew, a human warrior dressed in copper colored armor with a red cape enters and sits down. He drinks his fluid while watching Cedious and the psychic warrior. As Cedious sips from his cup, so does the warrior. After two minutes of this, Cedious sticks his tongue out at him and prepares to allow Balkroth to protect him. The warrior gets up and walks over to him.

“I know what you have done and what you are doing now. I know your future. It is dangerous and may cause a great deal of chaos and even death beyond you. Think about it and be careful little one.”

Cedious is not impressed. He watches the warrior with bright blue eyes get up and walk to the door. Cedious chases after him and finds the street …to be empty. “I am NOT impressed.”

They return to the Cannith building. Beth is waiting for them. “Good news. We know the whereabouts of a clue to the location of another piece of the schema. Come quickly. We need to gather our supplies and a team. We leave in two hours.

PLAYERS DON'T READ (like that'll stop them)

EBERRON
03/12/05
SEGMENT 050
“SUBPLOT STUFF”

A over a month ago on Starvos Island-

“What do we do with these …creatures?” asks a miner during the cleanup shortly after the Tharashk Smite have left by ship.

“Bury them with the rest.”

The three men continue to dig and move earth. The gnome’s body wouldn’t take up much room but these artificial beings …they are big and heavy. It is hot and the sun burns into their skins. The headman goes back to the main building to look into when the next supply ship will arrive. This leaves the two gravediggers to themselves.

“Hey! Don’t drink dat! We have to pour that on the bodies before we bury ‘em with earth.”

“It’s cold and wet. I’m drinking it.”

“But the gnome holy-roller said we needed it.”

“She ain’t here. The drinking water is polluted. This is all we got.”

“Save some of that for me!” he says as he climbs out.

The remains of Chief and Boddynoc are buried. Asunder, still inactive (but at –3) is buried. “You got any of that water left?”

“Naw. Drank it all.”

“Oh.”

“I wonder why the priest wanted us to wash the bodies anyway?”

Three months later, midnight,

A dry lightning storm begins. Distant rumbling begins. The miners have returned from their resumed work. They are tired and sleep soundly. They do not hear or see what happens next-

The sandy earth shakes. A thump is heard. Then a metallic hand bursts free from the sand. The form of Asunder climbs out. Clinging to his shoulder pad is an undead gnome. He channels his powers into the warforged to repair him.

“Now- Asunder, we have a few things to do for my masters then …hee…heee…We look for the Schema again.”

EBERRON
03/12/05
SEGMENT 050
“RAIL WRECK” PT I

Just shy of the second 6th, Cedious and Balkroth follow Beth d’ Cannith through Fairhaven’s rail station. They see A long line of about ten cars. Each car is about 70 feet long and 30 wide. Though each is different looking, they have a similar appearance. They vary in texture, cosmetics and some even have stained glass windows.

“Which car do we go on?” asks Balkroth to Beth.

“Second to last.” She answers.

Looking, it would seem an obvious choice. Though similar in design to the others this car is the same bright blue with silver and white trim as the main buildings; the Cannith colors.

The rogue halfling steps onto the balcony and steps to the side to allow the others to go by. From here he looks at the activities around him. A flatcar is being loaded using a similar magic energy pulley as what Sharn uses at the docks. The large crates are unmarked and heavy. There are some soldiers or guards looking around doing their normal patrols. There are people of every type, race and class. He sees a scaled woman that he mistakes as a medusa at first glance. With his fingers over his eyes, he briefly looks again and sees she is reptilian.

There is a bit of commotion do onto the ramp. Looking he sees a sight he is uncertain if he likes. A ½ Giant! This ½ Giant is bald with dark gray skin. He walks with impunity and pushes through the crowd easily and with little care for the people before him. Behind him another halfling! This one is wearing clothes more Talenta influenced than what he himself wears. Cedious wonders if he was born in Talenta then. This one is riding a wolf also! Wow a wolf!

The ½ giant marches directly to the Cannith car and even though Cedious is on the train, he has to look up to meet the behemoth’s eyes. “What do you want ½ pint?” and steps onto the car without waiting for an answer.

The wolf hopes up through the folding steps onto the balcony and sniffs Cedious. It looks into his eyes and stares.

“Don’t mind Gnarl, he means no harm.” Says the new halfling while climbing aboard. “I am expected and as always- running late.” And the halfling walks into the car and the wolf turns to follow.

A shrill whistle calls out and the crackle of the electric rail increases. Cedious feels the car lift a small. His stomach aches as he is reminded of the sensation of sailing on the water. “I need food and drink- not in that order.” And goes in.

He closes the door as the rail begins to move. He notices as they leave there are several cloaked figures fighting with the soldiers. They want to pass and board the rail but can not since it is in motion. One looks to be warforged. Cedious hopes this will not mean fighting them again. He remembers his trip in and out of the remains of Cyre. Those warforged had a purpose. What are chances that they are the same ones?

Cedious sees money.

The entire car is made of the best materials and master craftsmanship. There are small standing trees about five feet tall, an overhead fan that is treated to cool the air then move it away. The floors are carpeted and soft to the touch. There are a few paintings on the walls of this 25x10-foot space that depict the three current heads of House Cannith. Cedious gives Merrix the finger before looking into what else is within the car of value. He hears a voice he doesn’t know. Human. He looks down the hallway and sees Beth talking to a human in armor. A fighter type. All male too. Looking down the hall past the two humans, Cedious sees two doors, one is open and he can hear the two ½ giants talking within the room. Another door at the end is locked and has black glass in the door. That one must lead into the rear / front engine car he figures.

Checking the other rooms, he finds two bedrooms. One has a large sack within it. Looking at it, the bag is very sturdy and heavy. Possibly heavier than himself. It is bound with a yellow rope that seems to pull on the top as if being held up. Curiosity begins to take over when he is called out by Beth.

Back into the 10x25 feet room, they meet. There are two half-giants, Balkroth and Black Sand. There is a druid halfling and his wolf. There is the human fighter, Beth and himself. So- this is the team thinks Cedious.

EBERRON
03/12/05
SEGMENT 051
“RAIL WRECK” PT II”

“Our hired investigators have found something we were unaware of before. Professor Bonel Geldem had an assistant. Her name is Valneese Blare. She has a strong background in goblinoid cultures, old and new. She studied in Morgrave University and even spent a few years visiting the area now recognized as Darguun. To make matters worse. She was working for another party. We are uncertain whom but they were or are located within the mountains of the Mror Holds. There are several secret groups here that work together for power and to amass greater wealth. They are known as the Aurum. We believe she worked for this group. If so, we face someone that may have more riches, power and reach than the entire House Cannith placed together.”

“When Professor Geldem was murdered in Sharn, the authorities sought her out. She was wanted for questioning and could not be found. Her apartment had shown signs of being ransacked and searched. We assume by the very warforged warriors you fought Cedious.”

The others look at Cedious sizing him up.

“The investigators followed her trail to the electric rail station. From there, we were able to procure the documents we needed to prove she got on board. She had bought tickets to reach the Mror Holds and we assume her benefactor.”

“However, something happened on the trip. In the Talenta Plains an accident occurred. Within the region of the Talenta Gorge, an electric rail engine lost control and went off the bridge into the gorge. Dozens of people died in the crash and another 34 died from the creatures living there before help arrived. Only 15 people survived. We suspect Valneese was among the survivors but went into hiding. Her skills at survival would aid her and she has spent some time near the plains. She knows of the dangers there and has a greater chance of survival than compared to the majority of riders that landed in the swamp.”

“We have begun our trip from Fairhaven, Aundair. We will travel east to the Star Peaks and enter Thrane. We continue east to Karrnath. Then we begin to travel south from Atur into the Plains. We will travel over the gorge to Gatherhold. There, we get a private rail and go back to the crash site. From what I have been told, the bridge is built onto a great tree. The tree is close to 400 feet tall and the bridge is 300 feet high. The cars remaining are located within the branches of the tree and in the swamp below.”

“What can we expect there? Why is it so dangerous?” asks Black Sand with an aura of boredom.

“Talenta Plains is well known for its unique inhabitants. There are many large and often intelligent lizards here known as Dinosaurs within our museums. Though the majority of these are harmless unless provoked, there are several dangerous varieties. The most well known are Velociraptors and Deinonychus. They are hunters about 6 foot tall that are incredibly fast and very intelligent. But there are larger and more dangerous dinosaurs within the gorge. There are reports that support the existence of a tyrannosaurus within the gorge.”

Black sand smiles. This trip could be fun.

“This trip will take several days to complete. Fours to reach Gatherhold alone. We will be traveling through several countries and their checkpoints. This includes Karrnath where the Emerald Claw are stationed and thus the strongest. I ask you use discretion and avoid their soldiers. They will be on the train. The vast majority of them will have nothing to do with us but some may be a part of the team or teams looking for the Schema. Please…. please do not bother them.” She says this looking at Cedious then at Black Sands.

Cedious suddenly finds something of visual interest on the floor but Black Sands merely smiles and continues to lean on his elbow on the seat.

“Oh why me?” thinks Beth to herself.

“Keep in mind, we are not the only ones seeking clues and the pieces to the Creation Schema. We know of a group of Warforged that seek it or at least are being used to gain it, we know of the Emerald Claw and now we may be including the Aurum. Then the most dangerous group by far- ourselves. Merrix wants it and will do anything to gain it.”

“I suggest you relax and enjoy the trip. There is a food and drink car further up the line. And remember- this is a secret mission. We don’t want any more competition than what we already have.

Cedious announces he seeks drink. Black Sand walks after him. Balkroth and the druid continue talking then leave the car also. The two humans remain, Beth and the new fighter. “Well- what do you think?”

EBERRON
03/12/05
SEGMENT 052
“RAIL WRECK” PT III

13 hours have passed and Cedious wakes up. He has picked the lock of a fancy bedroom. Beth has the other proper bedroom and everyone else slept in the main room or the bunkrooms. The rail seems to be slowing down so he gets his stuff together and checks it out. They are within a small city setting. A sign announces he is about to enter the city of Star Peaks. He can see the peaks through the windows on the other side of the main room. If he remembers the program correctly, there will be a two-hour layover here. The next stop will be Rekkenmark, Karrnath. He opens the door and walks onto the balcony and leans on the railing. He looks from below the main support rail and watches the station as it approaches. There are many more Silver Flame priests, clerics, knights and paladins here than in Sharn or Fairhaven. The need for mischief grows within Cedious.

The smell of food catches his attention. Beth walks out holding several sweet rolls and a coffee. She offers him a roll. Shortly we will arrive in Thrane and pass through it. You will know when we reach Karrnath by the long bridge we must cross.

“Which bridge?” he asks as he helps himself to the last roll seeing she has two more bites to go on her own roll.

“We will cross over the Scions Sound which is about 25 miles wide. It is high enough to allow full sized ships to cross under it.” She looks for a roll and finds only crumbs.

Cedious tries to speak but can not as half of the last roll is within his ½ -sized mouth. He swallows and motions to her coffee. With a resigned sigh she hands it over. He washes down his roll with half of her coffee. “Ummm… good.”

“Spiced with Aundair Root.”

The rail comes to a full halt within the Star Peak Station. Cedious watches as several House Orien ½ elves in uniform come out of their stations and the cars to direct people coming on and off the cars. It looks very busy and hectic but with the ½ elves, uniform and systematic. Nice but not as much fun in his mind.

Two hours later, Cedious watches two armed Thrane guards lead a female gnome onto the rail. They only leave once the cars are in motion. Curious.

Black Sand watches as Cedious gathers the last of his possessions and heads to the car where he thinks the gnome was placed. Black Sand gets up and follows. He knows where the action is.

Shortly afterwards, the druid and his dog exit their room. Balkroth follows them. They feel like food. Sweet food if at all possible. Beth walks by room and smells the air. “Agh- Devilweed.” {Book of Vile Darkness} “This is not the team I envisioned.”

The rail pulls out of the station and begins to pick up speed. Soon it will run 30mph and maintain that speed even over the bridge until it reaches Karrnath.

Unseen by anyone, a lone man in a trenchcoat watches the rail as it leaves. He turns and silently leaves in deep thought. In turn, he is watched but another man dressed in bronze and red armor. His bright blue eyes never blink as the man leaves the station and goes to a House Sivis station. The armored man watches the rail as it goes around a bend and becomes hidden by the forest and landscape around the Peaks area.
“Beware little one. Beware.”

EBERRON
03/12/05
SEGMENT 053
“RAIL WRECK” PT IV

Cedious walks by several passengers. They watch him and either glare at him or pull their bags closer to them. Cedious doesn’t mind. He is what he is. Cute. Two Karrnath clerics watch him as he continues through the passenger car. They are dressed in purple and black. They look like bad news and Cedious paces them quickly. The center of the car has four private rooms. He knows the doors are locked since he checked them last night (  ).

The rail follows a river that separates Aundair from Thrane. There are several small ships there and some docks. There appears to be ships boarding each other on the river. Bored with this, he continues on and is startled by the four passengers here. A blue skinned Goblin and three other gray skinned goblins. The Blue goblin looks at peace and was watching the landscape go by until Cedious walked by. He nods and smiles warmly to the rogue. Cedious smiles and moves on hoping they at not natives of Darguun.

The other passengers ignore him and the four goblins.

Black sand has been following him. He does his best to intimidate everyone he encounters. He scares the passengers for the most part. The Karrnath priests glare then turn away. When he happens onto the goblins he stares hard at them. The blue skinned goblin merely gives a soothing “Welcome and many a good day to you ½ Giant.” And smiles pleasantly. The other goblins push themselves into the seat in discomfort. It is enough for Black Sand as he wants to see what the halfling is up to.

He opens one door and closes it to open the next. The magic of the cars will not allow both joining doors to be open at once. He enters the dining car next and sees several great things. Cedious is talking to a gnome, there are two Thrane Soldiers in one corner and about six or seven Emerald Claw soldiers at the far end. He walks up behind Cedious but never takes his gray eyes off of the Claw.

“Really “Bob”- you are from Fairhaven?” asks the gnome. She has two large bags by her. They suggest she is a traveler with some money due to their quality and size. They also suggest she travels a lot.

“Yup.”

“Bob is an unique name for a halfling. It is more of a human name is it not?” She asks with a look of mischief of her own.

“What was your name again?” Cedious asks hoping to change the subject a bit. He is sure this is the gnome he saw being escorted onboard by the Thrane officials.

“You may call me Sara.”

“And I will. May I ?” he asks as he sits before she can answer.

Black Sand is bored with this. So what if the midget wants a piece of action. Not his type. The Claw are laughing and drinking while telling tales. It annoys him. They are too happy and it is too early in the morning for it. He turns and glares at them. They ignore him as they having too good of a time talking about wrenching in Aundair.

Meanwhile, in the previous car, the druid has walked up to the Blue. Amazed by the skin and knowing what it commonly means, he stops and begins to talk. Gnarl, the wolf sniffs at a goblin that looks like he fears being eaten by this ½ worg.

In his mind he hears-

= Welcome and many a good day to you Keeper of the natural way =

The druid nods and to think hard about what he wants to say. His mind is not as clear as it could be.

= Allow me =

“I am known as Blu. I travel with my friends on this rail like you and your ½ Giant friend Balkroth. Please sit and talk with me.”

Gnarl lays down and the druid sits down next to a goblin. The goblin eyes him but is not offensive- just protective. Balkroth continues to stand.

Several cars away, a large unmarked crate thumps. It thumps again and again. Finally a few boards break and two green perfectly round eyes look out from the darkness. “It is nearly time my brothers. We must fulfill the wishes of the Lord of Blades.”

Remove ads