Sailing without a crew

Quasqueton

First Post
The situation that prompted this thread has since passed, but a Player's reaction to it still nags at me enough that I want to put this up for discussion and resolution.

The PCs were aboard an ocean-going ship (3 masts, 140' long). They captured the crew in a preemptive attack (they learned the crew were actually slavers), but there was still a few more days of sailing needed to reach port. At least one Player beleived that they could continue to sail the ship with just someone manning the wheel. He also beleived that to stop the ship they could just turn perpendicular to the wind so the sails couldn't catch the wind.

I explained that it is much more complicated than that, and that turning perpendicular to the wind, without proper alignment of the sails would not stop the ship, but would instead potentially roll it over. The Player thought that they could go a couple days without the crew in the rigging, and would only need them to dock the ship. I told them they needed at least a dozen sailors (out of the 50 total) just to sail in the direction they needed to go---steering from the wheel would not be enough.

I have only rudimentary knowledge of sailing, and no real-life experience on the subject. But what is right, here? How long, and well/safely, can an ocean-going ship sail without a crew managing the sails?

In our game situation, the ship was having to tack against the wind. This fact is what brought up the idea of just stopping the ship, to give the PCs enough time to decide how to handle the situation.

Quasqueton

Quasqueton

First Post
Follow up:

Where can I find information on how many men it takes to crew a ship of various sizes and riggings? I have read many books on the subject, but few very list how a number of crew on board. And most of the crew info I find refers to war ships or pirate ships---so the crew numbers are greatly exaggerated for fighting ability. A war ship with 200 men aboard may only need 30 to sail the ship from point to point. But I can't find any information that states exactly how many sailors are necessary.

Quasqueton

Aaron2

Explorer
Quasqueton said:
Where can I find information on how many men it takes to crew a ship of various sizes and riggings?

This is a very complicated question with no easy answer. What type of sails did it use? Some ships used lanteen sails (big diagonal ones) that could be maneuvered by as few as two men. Large square sails, OTOH, need large numbers of men to furl and unfurl them. Typical crew requirements assume that the ship is fully manned 24 hours a day so reduce them by 1/3 if you are only sailing for one shift.

Actually, turning perpendicular to the wind (called "Heaving To") is the only safe way of stopping a ship without reducing sail. Once stopped, the party can probably manage to reef the main sails and then run safely only on the much smaller topsails. Firgure 1/3 speed for 1/3 of the time or 1/6 of the normal daily speed the ship is capable of. If they are running downwind, their job will be easier since they don't have to tack.

Why can't they convince some of the pirate crew to help them?

Let me know how it goes.

Aaron

Michael Morris

First Post
The square sails provide propulsion, but no steering. They're only effective when the wind is behind the ship. The triangular sails, the lanteens, do the steering along with the rudder. As early as the late 1500's these sails were rigged to the wheel, so one person could steer the ship (slow it down, speed it up or stop it is a different matter).

(Note the scene in Pirates of the Carribean when Capt. Sparrow knocks Will Turner off the deck with the lanteen spar - he moved it by rapidly moving the wheel. That's not a movie effect, the ship that scene was shot on was quite real. It was sailed to the site of filming from San Fransisco with a crew of 6).

You're typical party of 4 adventurers can handle a ship with difficulty. Skeleton crews typically where 4 to 8 men for that reason. The biggest pain will be raising / lowering the anchor due to the weight.

Large numbers of hands in the rigging allow things to be done quickly. This can be vitally important in certain circustances, such as when the ship is overtaken by a fast moving storm, in which case the sails must be quickly furled or the ship will be at risk.

The idea number tended to hover at 2 hands to a sail. On a single mast caravel 6 persons is all that's really needed. A 3 master probably has around 10-14 sails, so the idea crew is around 20 to 28.

Michael Morris

First Post
Quasqueton said:
Per shift?

Quasqueton

It doesn't work that way. When the situation calls for it the crew gets up and adjusts the sails. Entire weeks can go by without that being necessary. A watch is typically 3 men - one stern, one prow and one amidships.

Kesho

First Post
Michael Morris said:
Skeleton crews typically were 4 to 8 men for that reason.

I just had to bite...

Necromantic Pirates? Skeleton Crews? Do the skeletal undead have enough mental power to perform the duties of a sailing crew? :D

Michael Morris

First Post
Kesho said:
I just had to bite...

Necromantic Pirates? Skeleton Crews? Do the skeletal undead have enough mental power to perform the duties of a sailing crew? :D

A "skeleton crew" is the bare minimum sailors needed to man AND MAINTAIN the ship.

Quasqueton

First Post
You're typical party of 4 adventurers can handle a ship with difficulty. Skeleton crews typically where 4 to 8 men for that reason.
Assuming they all had some sailing skill?

Sorry to have to ask this, but what credentials do you bring to this discussion? What books can you point to for information?

I have seen no where that says a 3-mast, 140'-long ship could be sailed reliably or safely by 4-8 men. It could take that many men just to furl/unfurl one main sail. And I can't see even a war ship having 10 times the necessary crew (even taking out any men associated with guns).

Quasqueton

Remove ads