Ceramic DM feedback thread[JUDGES, OUT!]

Macbeth

First Post
I thought I'd start a thread for contestant feedback on Ceramic DM Fall 2004 stories. Tournament thread is here.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Dang, Macbeth. I remember your first story in your first Ceramic DM. It's been great fun watching your style change and improve with each story. In comparison, I don't think I've gotten much better. . . it may be argued that I've gotten worse. :D

Macbeth

First Post
Don't be so tough on yourself, your stories have always been great. You'e biggest problem is the 'nowhere to go but up" syndrom: it's hard to improve when your that good.

As for my writing style: yeah I've improved, but I'm still having problems. I really hope to get a good chance to do some writing this time 'round.

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
Macbeth said:
Yeah, right. If my life was a story, I would have a snide comment to fire back at him. I need a script writer.

We all need script writers. Then we could all be witty.

Loved it. I could easily empathize with the main character. He really took form for me. And I know what it means to loathe a chicken.

I should not read stories at 7am after staying up three hours to write my entry. I kept on hearing the voodoo priest from Aqua Teen Hunger Force saying, "Arise chicken! Arise!"

I can hopefully provide better feedback when I'm more conscious. I'm just amazed that I up and wrote my entry so fast.

Just curious: does anyone think I ought to put a 'graphic' warning label at the start of my story? I worry that perhaps I got a little over the top.

We need more comments here. Tomorrow, after sleep and game, my goal will be to comment on at least two stories.

RangerWickett said:
Just curious: does anyone think I ought to put a 'graphic' warning label at the start of my story? I worry that perhaps I got a little over the top.

It couldn't hurt, although I'm not entirely sure it is possible to reach my 'too graphic' threshold anymore.

BTW, do the 'Eric's Grandma' rules apply to Ceramic DM? I kind of hemmed and hawed in 'Life Imitates Art' in the last competition.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
BTW, do the 'Eric's Grandma' rules apply to Ceramic DM? I kind of hemmed and hawed in 'Life Imitates Art' in the last competition.

We expect people to use good sense. If in doubt, drop a line to a moderator. I doubt that a lot of 13 year olds are reading this, but you want to use reasonable judgment.

On a separate note (and definitely not wearing my Admin hat here as I state my opinion!), as a competitor very little pisses me off more than people dropping out of Ceramic DM without posting something, even if they don't have their story finished. Lord, that makes me mad, and I wish people wouldn't do it. It's disrespectful to the judges, and it's disrespectful to the other competitors.

Pant, pant. Okay, done now. I just needed to blow off steam. :\

Last edited:

alsih2o

First Post
Piratecat said:
We expect people to use good sense. If in doubt, drop a line to a moderator. I doubt that a lot of 13 year olds are reading this, but you want to use reasonable judgment.

On a separate note (and definitely not wearing my Admin hat here as I state my opinion!), as a competitor very little pisses me off more than people dropping out of Ceramic DM without posting something, even if they don't have their story finished. Lord, that makes me mad, and I wish people wouldn't do it. It's disrespectful to the judges, and it's disrespectful to the other competitors.

Pant, pant. Okay, done now. I just needed to blow off steam. :\

As founder and principle geek of Ceramic DM I have to say: P-kitty is always right.

Especially that second part. ESPECIALLY THE SECOND PART.

Macbeth

First Post
alsih2o, you are teh awesome.

I just finished reading your story, and all I can say is: wow!

Since I don't want to be too overly positive, let me give you a few criticisms. First, sometimes it was hard to follow the story. Specifically, at the end, with Jaime in his glider, what exactly was he trying to do? I presume he was trying to kill the Canidate, but it was never really stated.

Secondly, There were a few times that slipped a little bit (just alittle) into telling, not showing. It's probably a factor of the time limit, but it seemed like some parts were needlesly glossed over. Having the story drop out of summary and have some scenes to show what was going on would have been nice.

But really, those are my only real complaints. And they are both tied to noe issue (that I can't really call a complaint): I wanted more. Great story, I hope you get on to futher rounds, so that I can read more of your work.

Remove ads