The Gods Hate Us

((OOC thread is here
RG thread is here))

It had been three long months of moving from town to city to town. In each of them, it had been impossible for you to remain for more than a few hours. The trouble wasn't with he people themselves, but the Clergy. To be more specific, the Gods themselves. And not one in particular. It seemed that nearly all of them had reasons for sending their messengers(and very dangerous and powerful ones at that many times) to keep your out of cities in which they were reveared. At least the Solar claiming to be sent by Pelor had simply told you to leave...though with an obvious threat on the end of if you didn't leave. Many others hadn't been so kind. Especially the group of Balors. Well, even though they were likely illusions at the time, at least one of them wasn't. And it had chased for a very long time. One had to wonder why Gruumsh was so worried about you, as if he'd not sent the Balor after you, you'd never have even known there was a large encampment of Orcs and goblinoids hiding near the foothills of the mountains in the north.

Teleportation magic had even been dangerous. More in the sense that it seemed like it was figured out where you were traveling to, and there was always at least something waiting there in ambush. Sometimes it was dangerous...other times, one couldn't help but chuckle. Obviously, the Kobold deity had assumed that a group of very terrified Kobolds would have been more threatened of you. On sight, they screamed and ran. Whatever had been done to annoy these Gods, things obviously weren't getting any better.

Except, there were no problems with The Four. Not once had you encountered an elemental creature bent on attacking you and driving you off. Never had the Clergy of any of the Four Guardians screamed at you as heretics. They simply regarded you with indifference...normal for strangers. This didn't mean all places were safe, as nearly every town had a temple to at least one of the Four, though they were never as large or as prominent as the temples to other more 'powerful' Gods.

Currently, it was midday in the more western lands. Late spring, the sun was warm across the hilled areas. Trees could be seen here and there, but there were no forests for a good distance. There was, however, a town not too far off. Following the road wasn't much of a problem, but following one into town was now a cause for caution. So camping outside town that night had seemed a good idea at the time. Of course, at that time it was assumed that the bugs wouldn't be nearly as bad as they became. Amazing how the minor annoyances would get to you at a time like this. From watching a few caravans and travelers along the road, you'd learned how to judge which Gods were more strongly revered in nearby towns. It was one of those things you had to learn in these times. From the looks of it, the nearby town was likely a bastion(literally) for worshipers of St. Cuthbert. He happened to be one of the most ardent Gods sending attacks against you. For good reason. It fit his personality. Or...so you had been told before he'd started trying to have you killed.

Juggernaut

First Post
Toryn paces back and forth. "St. Cuthbert's eh??" says the dwarf priest. "Guess we might as well move on to the next town. There's no way we are getting into this one. Any moment now some sort of blasted Angel, Archon, or some other servant of good will be on our asses."

He looks around at the rag-tag group with which he is travelling, "What in the name of the Protector are we going to do to overcome this? Not only are the specific deities that each of us may have pissed off hating us, but other Gods with which we have no previous affiliation are coming down on us. Any ideas on what to do?" Toryn then looks directly to the large undead-loving human, "Ruslan, I respect you for your intelligence among other things... Please.. Ohh please... what are we to do?"

Last edited:

Zerth

First Post
Baril

Fools! I'm surrounded by fools. For three months, I've been forced to travel with these, these, ...bah! there is no one word to describe them and I'm not giving them enough thought to make up anything more complex. Why are the Deities sending their lackeys at us with such ferocity? They never care about anything but themselves, so why suddenly bother with us?

Baril was leaning casually against a tree, looking at the nearby road leading in the town of Cuthbert's followers. "You sound so worried, Toryn. Relax, you old grunt. What could possibly happen to make our situation any worse? Take it easy, anything they might send, we can always kill. Simple as that," the gypsy said grinning mischievously. But that was only acting, deep inside he was just as worried as the dwarf was. Maybe even more so.

Juggernaut

First Post
Toryn scowls at the pompous human, "OK knife boy, When we have solars breatheing down our necks, you kill them as we flee."

"Children..." Toryn mumbles under his breath.

"One of these days, your confidence is going to get you killed kiddo!" he says as he grins at the gypsy. "Sometimes it is best to walk on the side of caution...."

Looking around at the others, "So does anyone have any realistic ideas?"

guedo79

Explorer
"We deserve all that we got," Lousin mumbled crouching next last night's fire. He uses the stick in his hand to stir the ashes.

"We can't run forever. We are bound to find some safehaven eventually.”Lou stands looking Toryn in the eyes and toward the town.

Last edited:

Lefferts

First Post
Oskar looks around at the others and says "We need to find a powerful ally. Surely there must be one god who is not against us?"

deadestdai

First Post
You all arrrrre farrrrr too easily scared. Pabsit's croaky voice and strange rolling R's cut in from an upper branch in the tree that Baril leant against. I haven't had as much fun since the time I managed to anger the Cloud Giant royal family by gate-bashing their wedding! He chuckled and continued keeping watch about the skies above the party.

Juggernaut

First Post
"The Protector still grants me my spells, therefore I believe he and possibly the other Guardians do not oppose nor do they have ill will toward us." The dwarf continues on, "The Guardian of the Western Watchtower would be the one closest to our proximity and is generally viewed as being the most helpful of the four if those seeking her assistance are willing to open their hearts and mind. My Deity,The Protector, resides far to the North. And as a devout follower of his I believe he may assist us. However, we are dealing with the ill will of many deities and of greater rank, therefore I am not so sure that the Elemental Guardians of the Watchtowers could or would be willing to assist a small group of mortals, considering all that could be at risk for them. The Protector is not one to be quick to action either, so even if I, or we, appeal to him it could take some time for him to decide to assist. Although once we get his assistance it would be an eternal thing. He will not waver. Bless him!" Toryn drops his head as if in prayer, mumbles a few incoherent words, and raises his head again to look at the others.

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
"The gods are jealous of their power, and seek to destroy those that weild it with more ambition than they. They'll tire of blunting their swords on us eventually, or we'll strike back at them hard enough that they will never seek to bother us again," Ruslan says in a flat voice. Igor, his thin servant, trails behind the black-clad necromancer, seemingly loaded down by a large backpack.

deadestdai

First Post
The dwarrrrrf priest prrrrattles and our death-casterrr argues with him!

Pabsit scowled in annoyance, the priest was well known for going on and on, and the caster, he was rarely any better. If it weren't for the fact that he knew he wouldn't have a hope of surviving without them, he'd have left them to their fates an age ago.

He yawned loudly and stretched, before hopping off of his perch without flair next to Igor. Dissapointed slightly by the lack of reaction from the servant he turns to Ruslan. You serrrrvant still doesn't jump, wizarrrrd. I wonderrrr if therrrre is purpose to him at all? Could we not have brought along an ape orrrr some such instead? At least we can eat those, should we find ourrrrselves in need. AND they prrrovide amusement should the moment seem dull.

Last edited:

Remove ads