Item Cards, Item Slots, and Fusionist

The Goblin King

First Post
I want to use item cards but as many people have noticed by the time the characters are mid-level there is going to be a lot of cards. Coupled with the fact that I also want to use spell cards there could potentially be a ton of cards in play. So then I had an idea. (still not sure if its good or bad) Reduce the number of item slots a character has. I was thinking of four categories: attack, defense, misc, and expendable. Attack would be stuff like swords, bows, staves, ect. Defense would be armor, cloaks, bracers, ect. Misc would be anything that didn't fit into those other categories. Expendable would be to list potions, scrolls, arrows, and stuff that gets used up. Now, this would make characters weaker but it leads into my next idea.

During the course of the adventure the party fighter would find a couple of +1 swords. Well, he already has a +1 sword. Normally he would just sell them but instead he takes them to the NPC Fusionist. For a small fee the NPC would take those useless swords and fuse them with the fighters sword making it +2. I have not worked out the exact system but the general idea would be to use some formula that takes into consideration gp value and standard treasure for that level.

The end result is that the characters have less items in play but those items are more powerful. I realize that I will have to be careful with Sunder and item destroying spells since all the PCs eggs are in a few baskets.

What do you think, sirs?

Remove ads