(Adventure) Of eggs and desires [GnomeWorks judging]

GPEKO

First Post
You all enter the heart room of the Red Dragon Inn. It is one of the more luxurious private rooms in the inn. A very large fireplace is the main feature of the room and it provides both light and warm to the place. Numerous chairs surround it and they are both beautiful and comfortable. The walls are adorned with various paintings of famous battles, places and people. A plate filled with bread and cheese sits on a small table. Baeron, Bert and the ape, Brutus, are all here. As you enter the place and make yourself confortable, Baeron never ceases to observe each you. Finally, he talks.

“Alright, I’ll try to briefly explain the situation. A few weeks ago, some hippogriffs left a nearby mountain range to establish their nests in the hills of Larkenwold Reach, north of Orussus. When we, the Raddanors, got word that, we sent a couple of your gatherers to collect some eggs, as the beasts are highly prized as flying mounts. The leader of this pair was Marion Oldrey. He’s also part of the family, a distant cousin of mine. Marion did send a missive from one of the northern village saying that he had located a nest and would soon be returning with the eggs. This was a week ago and he hasn't come home yet. We fear that he might have been killed by the hippogriffs. Sadly, our own qualified personnel is pretty stretched at the moment. That's were you adventurers come in. I want you to travel to Apple Glade, the village I mentioned earlier, and discover what happened to our gatherers. If all you find is their corpses, as I fear, bring them back so we can give them a proper burial. You’ll be pay 300 coins of gold for this, to divide amongst yourselves. Oh! and Marion should be wearing a signet ring like this.” He shows you his golden signet ring featuring a carved prancing griffon. “Also, if you feel up to it, you can try and retrieve some of the hippogriff eggs. We’ll pay you 1000 golden crowns for each intact egg, but don’t be careless and get killed. Do you have any questions?”

Last edited:

SlagMortar

First Post
"Boy it's crowded in here! At least compared to the woods." Planus will sit somewhat awkwardly in the cushioned chairs trying (and failing) to pretend like he does this all the time and help himself to some bread and cheese. "I'm not sure that Mongrel would approve of capturing these beasts, but looking for your friend sure sounds exciting. I'm sure it will have a happy ending. I can track a fair lick, but a week old trail will do me as much good as a prediction of yesterday's weather."

fuzzy

First Post
Rika

Rika walks in, grabs some cheese, and takes a seat. She asks "So, what are we being hired for" and pauses as Baeron explains the offer. This sounds interesting. I'm not good at much but swordplay, but I can keep the others safe. What do you know about the village and its surroundings.

Ooc: Untrained Knowledge: History, Geography, Arcana checks (+2)

GPEKO

First Post
SlagMortar said:
"I'm not sure that Mongrel would approve of capturing these beasts, but looking for your friend sure sounds exciting."
As Planus says this, Baeron frowns. "This is what we do, our business. We capture, breed and train all sort of beasts and animals. The Stray Dog might not approve but he isn't our master. If you also have a problem with our business, I suggest you leave." Baeron says coldly.
fuzzy said:
This sounds interesting. I'm not good at much but swordplay, but I can keep the others safe. What do you know about the village and its surroundings.
"What do I know about Apple Glade? Not much, but truth be told, there isn't much there in the first place. It's a small hamlet in the hills and, like the name suggests, they grow apples and make cider. To get there, you have to follow the northern road to Rivenblight for about 25 miles and then take one of the paths leading into the hills. There should be some sign indicating the way." He pauses for a moment to retrieve glasses and a bottle of wine sitting on a shelf. "Any of you would like some wine?" he says while pouring some into a glass. "Where was I? Ah yes, Apple Glade and the region. Well, the Larkenwold Reach is a pretty wild region of wooded hills. There are steep ravines here and there but the hills aren't very high. Wild animals and a few small orc tribes is almost all that lives in the region. Nothing you can't handle, I hope."

OOC: You can't use knowledge skills untrained. However, since Rika lived in Orussus all her life, she knows that 1) the Larkenwold Reach is a wild region, with few settlements 2) there are folk tales that says dragons used to live there, 3) a hippogriff is a creature that looks to be a mix between bird and horse.

fuzzy

First Post
Yes, some wine would be nice, thank you. What do you know about how hippogriffs fight, incase we need to determine if the bird-beasts killed them or a human did it?

SlagMortar

First Post
Originally posted by GPEKO
If you also have a problem with our business, I suggest you leave.
"Well, good sir, I'll help you find your friends if you'll have me, but I won't be collecting any eggs. To each his own. What do we do if the .. 'evidence' has been eaten by the hippogriffs?"

Last edited:

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Sturm listens impatiently to the instructions, seeming only to pay attention to mention of gold.

"300 between us?" He shakes his head, then addresses the group. "I hope ye know we're grabbin' e'ery last egg we can find, griffos be doomed."

He says the last with a particular glare at Rika, apparently finding her disinterest in wealth-gathering something less than sporting.

fuzzy

First Post
I didn't say we shouldn't retreive any eggs. I just think that our first priority is finding the first eg-hunters, dead or alive. After that we should bag some eggs. I don't think we should take all the eggs, though. We're less likely to be chased if we leave some for the hippogriffs to guard. Rika then says something you cant quite understand1.How much do we get paid if we bring them in alive? Also, what do we do if a rival offed them

1If you speak Elven: I hope we dont have to fight any hippogriffs for the eggs.

SlagMortar

First Post
Elven:
"Well, I won't be fighting any hippogriffs for eggs."
"Grab as many eggs as you want. I'll make sure to be well away from you when you do, but I will aid in every way to find these missing persons. Remember the old saying, 'When you and your companion are being chased by a hippogriff, you don't have to outrun the hippogriff, you just have to out run your companion who is weighed down by a bunch of eggs.'"

Addressing Baeron, "Can you provide us with provisions for the journey? Horses, food, extra arrows?"

OOC: It was Planus, not Rika, who expressed a disinterest in gathering eggs.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases