talent-based classes (revised)

Afrodyte

Explorer
I've been really working with the ideas I had for class revision that I brought up a while back, and after actually sitting down and trying to do something with it, I came to the realization that I had too many talents and talent trees to really be able to work with them. While I liked how customizable it made the classes, I didn't like how repetitive or simply useless some of the talents and trees were. So, I went back to the drawing board and made a few changes.

Overall, there are fewer talents granted to all classes. I give five as opposed to seven. I was initially worried that giving so few would make them underpowered compared to their PHB counterparts, but then I realized two things. First, that I was not trying to simply recreate the PHB classes, but offer a variety of ways to be viable throughout 20 levels in a class without relying almost exclusively on magical equipment or using other party members as a crutch. Second, that if I scaled the benefits, the power of each class remained proportional to its level. In the design of the talents themselves, I did as much as I could to keep things familiar, using the abilities from the PHB where appropriate and inventing new ones when necessary. I also did my best to make sure that the talents were distinct in application if not in name (not very good with names).

In addition, the intervals at which the talents and bonus feats are gained are different. I tried to make the talents as evenly spaced as possible without doubling up on level-based benefits (such as the feats granted every 3rd level or the bonus to attributes granted every 4 levels). That left quite a few levels to play around with, so I decided to give talents roughly at every 5 levels (not counting 1st level). The other "empty" levels (the ones where you don't get a feat or increase an attribute) were used for feats carefully chosen for each class. The general idea is that bonus feats are meant to enhance your class abilities, but the character feats were meant for developing your character outside of the class role. In other words, it's the reason why warriors, berserkers, and fighters get Toughness as a bonus feat while experts and rogues do not.

The warrior classes required the least revision. For the most part I simply got rid of the Extreme Effort talent tree because while it seemed cool, I couldn't envision it getting enough use in a game to make players spend one of the few talents granted to them on it. It made things a little bit bloated. I tightened some of the talents to make sure that they provided something unique and useful, especially the Marksman Talent Tree. The PHB archery feats are very good, and it was hard coming up with something that wasn't done better with those feats. Eventually, I settled on something that was satisfying and didn't favor bow-wielders so much.

The expert classes were tweaked too, particularly the generic expert. I trimmed some of the talent trees and created some new ones to reflect the fact that expertise is broad enough to encompass a lot of things, but the most persistent expert types were those focused in the Craft, Knowledge, and Profession skills. I made sure that each of these skill groups had its own talent tree but also included one for more interactive-based characters, one for the jack-of-all-trades, and one for other types of experts that don't necessarily fit into this mold.

The spellcaster classes were given the biggest overhaul, mostly in the form of cutting talents and talent trees that replicated spells. As I was looking over it, I realized I was giving them too much for free. I had lost sight of the idea that their talents were supposed to enhance their abilities, not replace them. The cleric received the most revision because I hadn't really developed it fully enough before. I added a new talent tree and changed how rebuking and turning worked so that it was more flavorful.

Later on, I may decide to give sample characters and a how-to for creating PHB classes I left out such as the bard, monk, and paladin.

If you are interested in what everything looks like, I should be able to post it here tomorrow if not sooner.

Khaalis

Adventurer
I would like to take a look at this since I myself am working on an Alt.Fighter based on the basics of Talents and choosing basic and advanced specializations (similiar to d20 Modern).

Afrodyte

Explorer
warrior generic class

WARRIOR GENERIC CLASS
Flavor text as DMG warrior NPC class. The warrior generic class is only a 10-level class.
BAB: good
HD: d10
Saves: Two good, one poor (player's choice). Alternatively, one good, two medium. The medium base save progression, according to the base saves at the levels, are: +1 (1st & 2nd), +2 (3rd & 4th), +3 (5th thru 7th), +4 (8th & 9th), +5 (10th & 11th), +6 (12th thru 14th), +7 (15th & 16th), +8 (17th & 18th), +9 (19th & 20th).
Class Skills: Craft, Profession, plus any 6 skills.
Skill Points: 4 + Intelligence modifier (x4 at 1st level)
Weapon and armor proficiency: All simple and martial weapons, all armor, all shields (except tower shields).
Talents: At 1st, 5th, and 10th level, choose a talent from one of the talent trees below.
Bonus Feats: at 2nd, 7th, and 8th level, choose a bonus feat from the PHB fighter's bonus feat list.

Defensive Tactics Talent Tree
Defensive Tactics. The attack penalty you sustain while fighting defensively is reduced by 2. Prerequisites: Combat Expertise? (not sure about this one)
Defensive Tactics II. You gain a +2 competence bonus to AC (total +6) when fighting defensively. Prerequisites: Defensive Tactics.
Improved Defensive Tactics. When fighting defensively, your bonus to AC increases by half your highest BAB. This bonus supercedes the bonus from Defensive Tactics II. Prerequisites: Defensive Tactics.

Offensive Tactics Talent Tree
Examine Opponent. Designate one opponent and observe him for one round. At the end of that round, make an Intelligence check with an insight bonus equal to half your highest BAB (base DC 15, modified by your target's attempt to Bluff or Intimidate). If successful, you know his overall combat skill (based on BAB and number of feats: novice, seasoned, veteran, or master), his strengths (ie. strong, agile, tough, and/or cunning), and his condition (perfect, scratched and scraped, badly wounded, or near death). However, your opponent can deceive you into thinking his is less or more skillful depending upon his Bluff and Intimidate check result. The better your check result, the more information you can determine about your opponent.
Exploit Weakness. After using Examine Opponent against your chosen target, you may find a way to gain an advantage by using cunning over speed or brawn. As a move-equivalent action, make an Intelligence check modified by your highest BAB vs. DC opponent's highest BAB. If the check succeeds, you may add your Intelligence bonus to attack rolls made against that opponent that round. Prerequisite: Examine Opponent.
Offensive Tactics. Whenever you make a full attack, you gain a bonus to either to your first attack or to all your damage rolls that round. This bonus is equal to one-third your BAB (maximum +5).
Tactical Strike. When wielding a weapon with which you have the Improved Critical feat, the number you roll in excess of your target's AC is added to your damage roll. Prerequisites: Examine Opponent, Offensive Tactics, Improved Critical (weapon used).

Weapon Mastery Talent Tree
Weapon Sense. You gain a competence bonus to using weapons with which you are not proficient equal to half your highest BAB (max +4).
Improved Weapon Focus. With the weapon of your choice, the bonus you get from Weapon Focus and Greater Weapon Focus is doubled. Each time you choose this talent, it applies to a new weapon. Prerequisite: Weapon Focus with the weapon you choose.
Improved Weapon Specialization. With the weapon of your choice, the bonus you gain from Weapon Specialization and Greater Weapon Specialization is doubled. Prerequisites: Improved Weapon Focus.
Expanded Weapon Focus. The bonuses you receive from the Weapon Focus and Greater Weapon Focus feats apply to all weapons in that same group. This does not stack with the bonus from Improved Weapon Focus. The groups are: axes, basic weapons (club, dagger, quarterstaff), bows, crossbows, flails and chains (light flail, heavy flail), heavy blades (longsword, greatsword, falchion, scimitar, bastard sword), light blades (dagger, punching dagger, rapier, short sword), maces and clubs (club, light mace, heavy mace, greatclub, quarterstaff, sap, warmace), picks and hammers (light pick, heavy pick, light hammer, warhammer, scythe, maul), slings and thrown weapons (dart, sling), spears and lances and polearms (javelin, lance, longspear, shortspear, trident, glaive, guisarme, halberd, and ranseur). Prerequisites: proficient with all weapons in the group
Expanded Weapon Specialization. As Expanded Weapon Focus, but it applies to the Weapon Specialization and Greater Weapon Specialization feats. This does not stack with Improved Weapon Specialization. Prerequisites: Expanded Weapon Focus.

BERSERKER BASE CLASS
Flavor text similar to PHB barbarian, except instead of being an uncivilized brute, the berserker is a warrior who channels emotional energy into increasing his natural abilities.
Prerequisites: BAB +2 or higher, base Fortitude save +3 or higher
HD: d12
Saves: Fortitude good, Will and Reflex poor. Alternatively: Fortitude or Will good, others medium.
Class Skills: as PHB barbarian.
Skill Points per level: 4 + Intelligence modifier.
Talents. At 1st, 5th, 10th, 14th, 20th class level, you gain a talent from the talent trees below or from one of the warrior's talent trees.
Bonus feats. At 2nd, 7th, 11th, 13th, 17th, and 19th class level, you gain a bonus feat from the following: Athletic, Combat Reflexes, Dodge (Mobility, Spring Attack, Whirlwind Attack), Endurance (Diehard), Exotic Weapon Proficiency, Great Fortitude, Improved Critical, Improved Initiative, Improved Unarmed Strike (Stunning Fist), Iron Will, Power Attack (Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Overrun, Improved Sunder), Run, Self-Sufficient, Toughness, Track, Weapon Focus (Weapon Specialization)

Rage Talent Tree
Rage. As PHB barbarian ability. You may use Rage a number of times per day equal to half your berserker levels (maximum 5/day).
Greater Rage. As PHB barbarian ability. Prerequisites: Rage.
Indomitable Will. As PHB barbarian ability. Prerequisites: Rage.
Tireless Rage. As PHB barbarian ability. Prerequisites: Rage.

Resistance Talent Tree.
Purity of Body. As PHB monk ability.
Diamond Body. As PHB monk ability. Prerequisites: Purity of Body.
Resistance. For one type of energy (acid, cold, electrical, fire, or sonic), your resistance to this damage is equal to your base Fortitude save.
Damage Resistance. You gain DR/- equal to your Constitution bonus.
Damage Resistance II. You gain DR/- equal to half your berserker level. This supercedes the benefit of Damage Resistance. Prerequisites: Damage Resistance.

Whirling Dervish Talent Tree
Whirling Frenzy. You whirl and thrash uncontrollably, striking your enemies with great speed and power then moving on. This is in all ways identical to Rage, but replace the benefits with the following: +4 Strength bonus, +2 dodge bonus, +2 to reflex saves. You may make an extra attack at your highest BAB, but this attack suffers a -2 penalty, as do all other attacks made that round. You cannot use any talent from this tree simultaneously with any Rage ability.
Greater Frenzy. When you enter a frenzy, the Strength bonus increases to +6, and the dodge and reflex save bonuses to +3. Prerequisites: Whirling Frenzy.
Mighty Dervish. When you enter a frenzy, your Strength bonus increases to +8. The dodge and reflex save bonuses increase to +4. Prerequisites: Greater Frenzy.
Evasive Frenzy. You gain the benefits of the Evasion ability while using Whirling Frenzy. Prerequisites: Whirling Frenzy.

FIGHTER BASE CLASS
Flavor text as PHB.
Prerequisites: BAB +2 or higher, proficient in at least one martial weapon and one of the following feats: Combat Expertise, Dodge, Point Blank Shot, Power Attack, Weapon Finesse, or Weapon Focus.
Saves: Fortitude or Reflex good, others poor. Alternatively: one good, others medium.
Class Skills: Craft, Heal, Intimidate, Knowledge (history), Listen, Profession, Ride, Spot
Skill Points per level: 4 + Intelligence modifier.
Talents. At 1st, 5th, 10th, 14th, and 20th class level, you gain a talent from the talent trees below or from one of the warrior's talent trees.
Bonus feats. At 2nd, 7th, 11th, 13th, 17th, and 19th class level, you gain a bonus feat from the PHB fighter bonus feat list.

Fencing Talent Tree
Uncanny Dodge. As PHB ability. Prerequisites: Dodge.
Improved Uncanny Dodge. As PHB ability. Prerequisites: Uncanny Ddoge.
Improved Dodge. When lightly armored, you gain a dodge bonus to AC equal to half your highest BAB. When unarmored, this bonus increases by half again. Prerequisites: Uncanny Dodge, Mobility.
Riposte. When wielding a light melee weapon, you can make up to your Dexterity bonus in extra attacks, but the penalty to all attacks you make when doing so is equal to the number of extra attacks you make. Prerequisites: Combat Reflexes, Dexterity 13+.
Improved Riposte. As Riposte, but the penalty applies only to extra attacks you make that round. Prerequisite: Riposte.

Juggernaut Talent Tree
Brawny. You reduce the armor check penalty to armor you wear up to your Strength bonus (min -0). Prerequisites: proficient with armor worn.
Brawny II. Medium and Heavy armor do not hamper your Speed at all. Prerequisites: Brawny.
Forceful Blow. When making a melee attack, you may ignore an object's hardness or a creature's DR up to your Strength bonus. Prerequisites: Power Attack.
Crushing Blow. Add your highest BAB to the save DC of massive damage attacks that you make while wielding a melee weapon. Prerequisites: Power Attack, Strength 15+
Devastating Blow. You are so powerful that your most powerful attacks do more damage than normal. When you make a critical hit against a target while wielding a melee weapon, your critical multiplier is equal to your Strength modifier. This benefit also applies to unarmed attacks. Prerequisites: Crushing Blow, Strength 19+

Marksman Talent Tree
Improved Point Blank Shot. You gain the benefits of Point Blank Shot against targets within 40 feet. Prerequisite: Point Blank Shot.
Opportunistic Shot. You have honed your abilities to use a ranged weapon in melee range. When you make attacks of opportunity with a ranged weapon, it counts as a reach weapon when determining which areas are threatened by your character. Prerequisite: Point Blank Shot.
Improved Rapid Shot. The penalties for using the Rapid Shot feat only apply to the extra actions you take that round. Prerequisites: Rapid Shot, Combat Reflexes, Dexterity 15+
Called Shot. As a full-round action where you aim carefully at a single target, you gain a competence bonus equal to half your highest BAB (maximum +5) to your next ranged attack. Using Called Shot provokes an attack of opportunity. Prerequisites: Precise Shot.
Bull's Eye. You are such a skilled marksman that your exceptional hits do more damage than normal. When you make a critical hit with a ranged weapon, your critical multiplier increases by one. Prerequisites: Called Shot, BAB +10 or higher.

Resilient Talent Tree
Vigor. Your fighter hit die increases to d12. Prerequisites: Constitution 15+
Purity of Body. As PHB monk ability.
Diamond Body. As PHB monk ability. Prerequisites: Purity of Body.
Resistance. For one type of energy (acid, cold, electrical, fire, or sonic), your resistance to this damage is equal to your base Fortitude save.

Afrodyte

Explorer
expert generic class

EXPERT GENERIC CLASS
Flavor text as DMG expert NPC class. The expert generic class is only a 10-level class.
BAB: medium
HD: d8
Saves: One good, two poor (player's choice). Alternatively, all medium. The medium base save progression, according to the base saves at the levels, are: +1 (1st & 2nd), +2 (3rd & 4th), +3 (5th thru 7th), +4 (8th & 9th), +5 (10th & 11th), +6 (12th thru 14th), +7 (15th & 16th), +8 (17th & 18th), +9 (19th & 20th).
Class Skills: Craft, Knowledge, Profession, plus any 10 skills.
Skill Points: 6 + Intelligence modifier (x4 at 1st level)
Weapon and armor proficiency: All simple weapons, light armor, small shields.
Talents. At 1st, 5th, and 10th level, choose a talent from one of the talent trees below.
Bonus Feats. At 2nd, 7th, and 8th level, choose one of the following skills: Acrobatic, Agile, Alertness, Animal Affinity, Athletic, Deceitful, Deft Hands, Diligent, Great Fortitude, Investigator, Iron Will, Leadership, Lightning Reflexes, Negotiator, Nimble Fingers, Persuasive, Self-Sufficient, Skill Focus, Stealthy, or Track.

Craftsman Talent Tree
Favored Material. When crafting an item made of a specific material (such as wood, stone, gold, iron, etc.), you gain a bonus to Craft checks equal to half your expert level (minimum +1).
Master Craftsman I. Whenever you exceed the DC of a Craft check by 10 or more, you automatically create a masterwork item. Prerequisite: Craft (skill used) 10+ ranks.
Master Craftsman II. Your masterwork items grant an additional +1 bonus of the same type normally granted to such items. Masterwork armor has its armor check penalty reduced by 2 (minimum -0). Masterwork weapons grant a +2 attack bonus. Masterwork tools grant a +2 bonus when using them. Prerequisites: Craft (skill used) 10+ ranks.
Speedy Worker. It takes you half the time to make items than it normally would. Prerequisites: Craft (skill used) 8+ ranks.

Jack of All Trades Talent Tree
Bonus class skill. You gain another class skill.
Jack of All Trades. You only pay 1 point per cross-class skill rank.

Professional Talent Tree
Cool Under Pressure. Professionals frequently have to deal with difficult people and situation. As a result, they learn how to remain composed even in the most trying circumstances. You gain a bonus to will saves equal to half your expert level to remain calm and in control of yourself. Prerequisites: Profession (any one skill) 7+ ranks.
Absolute Professional. The bonus from the Cool Under Pressure talent increases to your expert level. Prerequisites: Cool Under Pressure.
Well-rounded. Professionals often develop other skills to complement their area of expertise. When you make a check with a skill directly and closely related to your Profession skill, you gain a +1 synergy bonus for every 3 ranks in your Profession skill (maximum +5). This bonus only relates to skills that could be developed in an expert or professional capacity, so this leaves out things like Listen, Spot, Hide, and Move Silently. One cannot become a professional spotter or expert listener, for instance. This bonus does not stack with the Improved Synergy talent. Prerequisites: Profession 3+ ranks.

Sage Talent Tree
Trivial knowledge. As PHB bardic knowledge. Prerequisites: 12 ranks spread among at least 4 different Knowledge skills (minimum 2 ranks per skill).
Research. Given time and access to the right collection of scrolls, maps, and books, you can eventually come to learn something about anything. Provided you have the proper resources, you gain a +1 bonus to Knowledge checks for every full day spent in research (maximum +10). Prerequisites: Decipher Script 4+ ranks, Search 4+ ranks.
Savant. You may add your expert levels to checks made with a Knowledge skill. Prerequisites: Knowledge (skill to be used) 4+ ranks.

Socialite Talent Tree
Cultural Affinity. You gain a bonus to all social skill checks made with members of a particular culture equal to your expert class level (maximum +5). Each time you choose this talent, it applies to a new group. Prerequisite: Speak Language (culture of your choice).
Charm. Against characters with attitudes of indifferent or better, you get a bonus to all social skill checks used to gain their favor equal to your expert class level. Against unfriendly or hostile characters, you get a bonus to all social skill checks of only half your expert class level.
Captivate. As D20 Modern talent. Instead of Charismatic Hero levels, your expert level determines the power of its benefits. Prerequisites: Charm.
Contacts. When you are in an inhabited area, you may check to see if you have any contacts or connections that may provide aid or information. To do so, make a Charisma check and add your expert levels plus your ranks in Knowledge (local, for open contacts) or Gather Information (for illicit contacts). The more distant you are from your home, the higher the DC to find helpful contacts. You may use this ability only once per location.

Specialist
Improved Synergy. Synergy bonuses to and from your class skills are changed to +1 per 3 ranks (max +5).
Skill Mastery. As PHB rogue ability.
Improved Skill Focus. With your chosen skill, the maximum skill ranks increases to level +5. Prerequisites: maximum ranks in the skill to be chosen.

RANGER BASE CLASS
Flavor text as PHB.
Prerequisites: Knowledge (nature) and Survival 5+ ranks, Track
Saves: Fortitude and Reflex good, Will poor. Alternatively, all medium.
Class Skills: As PHB ranger.
Skill Points per level: 6 + Intelligence modifier.
Talents. At 1st, 5th, 10th, 14th, and 20th class level, you gain a talent from the talent trees below or from the expert's talent trees.
Bonus feats. At 2nd, 7th, 11th, 13th, 17th, and 19th class level, you gain a bonus feat from the following: Alertness, Animal Affinity, Athletic, Endurance, Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Point Blank Shot, Quick Draw, Run, Self-sufficient, Skill Focus (any ranger skill), Stealthy, Weapon Focus, and Toughness.

Favored Enemy Talent Tree
Favored Enemy. Against a specific type of creature or organization, you gain a bonus to Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks equal to your ranger class level (maximum +10). If you choose an organization, the bonus is conferred regardless of race but does not stack with the favored enemy bonus against creatures of a specific race. Prerequisites: 5+ ranks in the appropriate Knowledge skill. Knowledge (arcana) for constructs or dragons or magical beasts, Knowledge (dungeoneering) for aberrations or oozes, Knowledge (specific race) for a humanoid race, Knowledge (nature) for fey or animals, Knowledge (the planes) for outsiders or elementals. For organizations, Knowledge (specific organization).
Smite Enemy. You gain a bonus to damage rolls against your favored enemy equal to half your ranger class level. Prerequisites: Favored Enemy.

Nature Sense Talent Tree
Favored Terrain. Choose a type of terrain. While in that environment, you gain a bonus to Hide, Knowledge (nature), Listen, Move Silently, and Survival checks equal to half your ranger class level. If you chose underground as your favored terrain, the bonus to Knowledge (nature) is instead given to Knowledge (dungeoneering). If you chose urban as your favored terrain, the bonuses to Knowledge (nature) and Survival are shifted to Gather Information and Knowledge (local) checks. Each time you select this talent, you may choose a different terrain.
Nature Sense. As PHB druid ability.
Woodland Stride. As PHB ranger ability.
Trackless Step. As PHB druid ability. Prerequisites: Woodland Stride.

Scout Talent Tree
Swift Tracker. As PHB ranger ability. When used with the Urban Tracking talent, you can make a Gather Information check every half hour without the -5 penalty.
Camouflage. Using clothes and make-up to help you blend in with your surroundings, you gain a bonus to Hide checks equal to half your ranger class level. Prerequisites: successful Disguise check
Hide in Plain Sight. Using clothes and make-up to help you blend in with your surroundings, you are able to remain hidden even while someone is looking straight in your direction. You gain a bonus to Hide checks equal to your ranger class level. This supercedes the bonus for Camouflage. Prerequisites: Camouflage, Hide 20+ ranks.

Urban Ranger Talent Tree
Urban Tracker. When using Gather Information to track down a specific individual within a community, you get a bonus to Gather Information checks equal to half your ranger level (maximum +5). More information can be found in Unearthed Arcana.

Wild Empathy Talent Tree
Wild Empathy. As PHB ranger ability. Prerequisites: Handle Animal 2+ ranks.
Speak with Animal. You may speak with animal a number of times per day equal to your Wisdom bonus. When using this ability, your caster level is equal to your ranger levels. Prerequisites: Handle Animal 7+ ranks, Wild Empathy.
Animal Companion. As PHB ranger ability.
Favored Animal. Choose a type of animal, such as canines, birds of prey, or poisonous snakes. You may use social skills such as Diplomacy and Gather Information when interacting with them. This stacks with the benefits of Wild Empathy. Prerequisite: Wild Empathy.

ROGUE BASE CLASS
Flavor text as PHB.
Prerequisites: Base reflex save +1 or higher, 10+ ranks distributed amongst the following skills (minimum 2 ranks per skill): Bluff, Disable Device, Disguise, Forgery, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Search, Sleight of Hand, and Spot. The bonuses from Alertness, Deceitful, Nimble Fingers, Skill Focus (one of the skills listed), and Stealthy can replace ranks placed into these skills.
Saves: Reflex good, others poor. Alternatively: Reflex good, Will medium, Fortitude poor.
Class Skills: as PHB rogue
Skill Points per level: 8 + Intelligence modifier
Talents. At 1st, 5th, 10th, 14th, and 20th class level, you gain a talent from the talent trees below or from the expert's talent trees.
Bonus feats. At 2nd, 7th, 11th, 13th, 17th, and 19th class level, you gain a bonus feat from the following: Agile, Alertness, Deceitful, Deft Hands, Dodge (Mobility, Spring Attack), Investigator, Lightning Reflexes, Negotiator, Nimble Fingers, Persuasive, Skill Focus, Stealthy, and Weapon Finesse.

Burglar Talent Tree
Aware. Add your base Will save to Listen and Spot checks to avoid surprise.
Camouflage. As ranger talent.
Hide in Plain Sight. As ranger talent.
Trap Sense. As PHB rogue ability. Prerequisites: Search 4+ ranks.
Trapfinding. As PHB rogue ability, but the bonus is +1 every 3 rogue levels. Prerequisites: Aware or Danger Sense.

Dirty Fighting Talent Tree
Danger Sense. For a number of times per day equal to your Wisdom bonus (minimum once per day), you may add half your rogue class levels as a bonus to a reflex save.
Sneak Attack. As PHB rogue ability. Prerequisites: 2 ranks in Hide and Move Silently per Sneak Attack die.
Crippling Strike. As PHB rogue ability, but instead you do 1 point of strength damage per Sneak Attack die. Prerequisites: Sneak Attack.
Oppportunist. As PHB rogue ability. Prerequisites: Sneak Attack.
Taunt. As D20 Modern talent.

Elusive Talent Tree
Evasion. As PHB class ability. Prerequisites: Base Reflex save +3
Improved Evasion. As PHB rogue ability. Prerequisites: Evasion.
Uncanny Dodge. As PHB class ability. Prerequisites: Dodge
Improved Uncanny Dodge. As PHB class ability. Prerequisites: Uncanny Dodge
Defensive Roll. As PHB rogue ability. Prerequisites: Evasion.
Slippery Mind. As PHB rogue ability. Prerequisites: Base Will save +5.

Afrodyte

Explorer
spellcaster generic class

SPELLCASTER
Flavor text about how magic allows characters to do amazing things blah, blah, blah. Need more inspiration for this part. Some spellcasters, who call themselves mages, receive their powers from the strength of their own will. Others, who call themselves mystics, gain their powers from their communion with a force or being beyond themselves. When you take this class, you must decide whether you want to be a mage or a mystic. If you choose mage, you use Charisma as your casting attribute; mystics use Wisdom instead. This replaces the divine/arcane distinction described in the PHB.
HD: d6
BAB: poor
Saves: Will good, Reflex and Fortitude low.
Class Skills: Craft (any one skill), Knowledge (arcana), Spellcraft, Use Magic Device, plus any 4 skills.
Skill Points per level: 4 + Intelligence modifier (x4 at 1st level).
Talents. At 1st, 5th, and 10th class level, you gain a talent from the talent trees below.
Bonus feat. At 2nd, 7th, and 8th class level, you gain a bonus feat from the following: any metamagic feat, any item creation feat, Augment Summoning, Combat Casting, Eschew Materials, Magical Aptitude, Spell Focus, Greater Spell Focus, Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration.
Spellcasting. Spells known and spells per day as UA generic spellcaster.
Spontaneous Spellcasting. Both mystics and magicians cast spells spontaneously, requiring no material or verbal components, though they do help in some cases. When spellcasters use material components to cast spells, they gain a competence bonus equal to half their spellcaster levels for the purpose of determining effects of level-dependent variables in spells they cast. This bonus is also added to the save DC of spells they cast when using material and verbal components. This ability only applies to spells you can cast spontaneously.
The Gift. The gifts a spellcaster has represent his or her magical "personality." All casters have such an inclination, chosen from the list below. Like any label, it is merely a convenience that helps others (including the spellcasters themselves) understand the mysterious powers they wield. This list is certainly not exhaustive, but they describe the types of abilities most spellcasters tend to wield. Your gift determines the spells you can learn and cast, modified by GM discretion. You should work with your GM to create a spell list specific to your character, although lists for some of the gifts are provided. As a talent you may choose another gift. Each gift and its associated concepts are given below.
Gift of the Air. Wind, electricity, movement.
Gift Black Magic. Death, destruction, despair. Cannot be taken with Green or White magical inclination.
Gift of the Earth. Earth, stone, metal, gravity, inert matter.
Gift of the Fey. Trickery, enchantment, shapeshifting.
Gift of the Flame. Fire, heat, light, darkness.
Gift of Green Magic (aka gift of the green). Animals plants, living things. Cannot be taken with Black or War magical inclinations.
Gift of the Sight. Insight, divination, prophecy.
Gift of War. Battle, combat-prowess, physical power. Cannot be taken with Green magical inclination.
Gift of the Water. Water, ice, mist, liquids.
Gift of White Magic. Healing, preservation, hope. Cannot be taken with Black magical inclination.

Celestial Talent Tree
This talent tree represents abilities thought to be granted by higher powers. Casters who have talents from the Celestial talent tree are frequently believed to be divine emissaries or descendants of celestials. Prerequisites: Cannot have the gift of black magic.
Sense Alignment. You do not use spell slots to cast detect evil or detect good. Instead, you gain these as spell-like abilities that you may use a number of times per day equal to your casting attribute bonus.
Holy Aura. As PHB paladin Aura of Good ability. This does not stack with any other aura talents. Prerequisites: must be good.
Holy Resistance. You gain DR/unholy equal to your Constitution bonus. Prerequisites: must be good.
Greater Holy Resistance. Your DR/unholy increases to half your caster level. Prerequisites: Holy Resistance.

Elemental Talent Tree
The elemental talent tree has perhaps the most diverse origins of the casters. Dragons, elementals, djinn, gensai, and even an intense identification with a particular element account for the origins of these casters.
Resistance (acid, cold, electricity, fire, poison). Choose one type of energy damage. Alternatively, you may choose poison. You gain resistance against this type of damage equal to your Constitution bonus.
Greater Resistance (acid, cold, electricity, fire, poison). Your resistance to the damage type chosen for the Resistance talent increases to half your caster level. Prerequisites: Resistance, gift of air (electricity resistance), gift of earth, gift of fire (fire resistance), or gift of water (cold resistance).
Enhanced Casting. When casting spells of the type associated with your gift, you add your casting attribute bonus to your effective caster level. Prerequisite: gift of air, gift of earth, gift of fire, or gift of water.
Aura of Power. Similar to the paladin's Aura of Good ability, but instead of registering how good your character is, it describes about how powerful he is. The aura's exact effects depends upon the powers you have. An earth mage would have a decidedly different aura from a caster affiliated with fire. In addition, you gain a +1 racial bonus to Intimidate checks for every 3 caster levels you have (maximum +5). This does not stack with any other aura talents. Prerequisites: gift of air, gift of earth, gift of fire, or gift of water.

Fey Talent Tree
Casters with talents from the Fey talent tree are frequently believed to have been contacted by the fey in some way, or even to be descended from them. In many cases, individuals who possess talents from this talent tree are thought to be changelings.
Fey Resistance. You gain a bonus to saves against Enchantment, Illusion, and Transmutation spells and effects equal to half your caster level (maximum +5).
Fey Blood. You gain DR/cold iron or DR/holy equal to your Constitution bonus. Prerequisites: gift of the fey; for DR/holy, cannot be good.
Enhanced Fey Blood. The DR you selected for Fey Blood increases to half your caster level (max DR 15). Prerequisite: Fey Blood.
Trickster. You gain a racial bonus to Bluff checks equal to half your caster level (maximum +5). Prerequisite: gift of the fey.
Aura of Power. People recognize power when they see it, and they respond accordingly. You gain a racial bonus to Diplomacy and Intimidate checks equal to one-third your caster level (maximum +5). This does not stack with any other aura talents. Prerequisites: gift of the fey.

Fiendish Talent Tree
Like their celestial counterparts, casters whose talents come from the Fiendish talent tree are frequently believed to have the favor of demons or devils, whether by descent or by bargains in exchange for magical powers.
Sense Alignment. As same talent in Celestial talent tree.
Unholy Aura. As PHB paladin's aura of good ability, except it registers as an aura of evil. In addition, you may add your caster level to Intimidate checks. This not stack with any other aura talents. Prerequisites: must be evil.
Unholy Resistance. You gain DR/holy equal to your casting attribute bonus. Prerequisites: must be evil.
Greater Unholy Resistance. Your DR/holy increases to half your caster level (max DR 10/holy). Prerequisites: Unholy Resistance.

Magical Companion Talent Tree
Animal companion. As PHB Druid ability. Prerequisites: the Gift
Familiar. As PHB sorcerer ability, but applies to the creature you chose as your animal companion. The same creature that is your animal companion can also be your familiar. Prerequisites: Animal companion.
Special companion. Your animal companion becomes a special companion with bonuses and abilities like the PHB paladin's special mount . Prerequisite: Animal companion.
Wild empathy. As PHB druid ability. Prerequisites: gift of green magic or 5+ ranks in Handle Animal and Knowledge (nature).

Spell Mastery Talent Tree
Favored Spell. Choose one spell that you know that is half the level of your highest level spell known (minimum 0, maximum 4). You gain a number of bonus slots per day which you can use to cast this spell equal to your casting attribute bonus.
Improved Favored Spell. When you use a metamagic feat with the spell you chose for favored spell, you cast it at a spell slot one level lower than described in the PHB. Prerequisites: Favored Spell enhanced with the metamagic feat you want to use.
Advanced Favored Spell. You may spontaneously apply metamagic feats to your favored spell. The spell slot cost is the same as described in the PHB, but the metamagic feat you applied to Improved Favored Spell retains the reduced slot cost. Prerequisites: Improved Favored Spell.
Magic Focus. You use an object (such as a musical instrument, a gem, an item of clothing, or drugs), situation (nudity, lunar cycles, planetary alignments, or time of day), or state of mind (joy, pain, anger) to help facilitate using your powers. When you include this focus in your spellcasting, you gain a competence bonus to your effective caster level equal to your casting attribute bonus.

CLERIC BASE CLASS
Flavor text as PHB. What follows are only a few sample talent trees available to the cleric base class.
Prerequisites: mystic, Knowledge (religion) 5+ ranks and Holy Aura, Unholy Aura, or Aura of Power.
Saves: Will good, Fortitude and Reflex poor
Class Skills: Concentrate, Diplomacy, Heal, Knowledge (all skills taken individually), Perform (Oratory), Profession, Speak Language, Use Magic Device
Skill Points per level: 4 + Intelligence modifier
Talent. At 1st, 5th, 10th, 14th, and 20th class level, you may choose talents from the talent trees below or from one of the generic spellcaster's talent trees.
Bonus feat. At 2nd, 7th, 11th, 13th, 17th, and 19th class level, you gain a bonus feat from the following: any metamagic feat, any item creation feat, Augment Summoning, Combat Casting, Eschew Materials, Improved Turning, Magical Aptitude, Spell Focus, Greater Spell Focus, Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration.
Casting Expertise. For the spells you initially learned as part of your gift, your effective caster level is equal to your cleric level plus your generic spellcaster levels. With spells learned upon becoming a cleric, you only count your cleric class levels as your caster level. Talents combine your cleric and generic spellcaster levels to determine your caster level.

Avatars are individuals who spend their lives emulating a deity or upholding a particular ideal. In the eyes of the common folk, they are the mouthpieces of the deities they represent, or sometimes their incarnations.
Prerequisites: An avatar must choose a deity or ideal which she attempts to emulate.
Divine Resilience. You may add your Charisma bonus to Fortitude and Will saves.
Fascinate. As PHB bard ability (used only with oratory), Wisdom bonus/day. Prerequisites: Perform (Oratory) 3+ ranks.
Divine Speech. When you make a Perform (Oratory) check, you gain an insight bonus equal to half your cleric class levels. Prerequisites: Fascinate.
Suggestion. As PHB bard ability (used only with speaking), Wisdom bonus/day. Prerequisites: Diplomacy 6+ ranks, Fascinate
Mass suggestion. As PHB bard ability (used only with oratory), Wisdom bonus/day. Prerequisites: Perform (Oratory) 21+ ranks, Suggestion.

Divine Domains Talent Tree
Domain. Choose a domain associated with your deity or ideal. You gain an additional slot per spell level per day with which to cast a spell from this domain. You may additional domains with this talent, but it does not grant you more spell slots per day, only more domains from which it is possible to cast. You cannot choose a domain with an alignment descriptor opposed to your own.
Enhanced Domain. Chose one of your domains. With this domain, your effective caster level is increased by your Wisdom bonus. Each time you choose this talent it applies to a new domain. Prerequisite: Domain.
Domain Focus. Choose one of your domains. Add half your caster level to the save DC of spells cast from this domain. Each time you choose this talent it applies to a new domain. Prerequisite: Domain.

Exorcist Talent Tree
Exorcists are mystics whose interests and talents lie in the warding against or removal of certain creature types, most often outsiders. As with the Divine Domain talent tree, you cannot cast spells of with an alignment descriptor opposed to your own.
Additional Spells known. In addition to the spells granted to you based on your gift, you also can learn the following spells: (0th)--detect chaos/evil/good/law. (1st)--alarm, hold portal, protection from chaos/evil/good/law. (2nd)--arcane lock. (3rd)--magic circle against chaos/evil/good/law. (4th)--dimensional anchor. (5th)--dismissal. (6th)--repulsion. (7th)--banishment. (8th)--dimensional lock. (9th)--imprisonment, soul bind.
Favored Adversary. Choose a creature type from the following: aberration, elemental, fey, ghosts, outsider (subtype), or undead. You may choose this talent more than once, but each time you do, it applies to a different creature type. If a specific creature falls into more than one category, the bonuses do not stack. You simply use whichever one is higher. You gain a bonus to Gather Information, Knowledge, Sense Motive, and Survival checks equal to half your cleric level (maximum +5) when using these skills against the creature type. Prerequisites: Knowledge (religion) 5+ ranks for ghosts, outsiders (evil or good) or undead; Knowledge (the planes) 5+ ranks for elementals or outsiders (any except evil or good); Knowledge (nature) 5+ ranks for fey; Knowledge (dungeoneering) for aberrations.
Rebuke. While brandishing your symbol of faith, you make make a check to cow your favored adversary. Make a level check modified by your Wisdom bonus or penalty. Your target must succeed on a will save or be intimidated as described for the Intimidate skill in the PHB, but after the effect is over, the target's attitude toward you immediately shifts to hostile. If the will save fails by 10 or more, your target is forced to flee (or cower, if cornered). If used in combat, this is a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity. Rebuke can be used on any of your favored adversaries regardless of how intelligent it is. Prerequisites: Favored Adversary.
Turning. Your faith is so potent that it can actually harm creatures you have deemed your adversaries. When using the Rebuke talent, any of your favored adversaries within a number of feet equal to ten times your Charisma bonus sustains damage equal to 1d6 times your Wisdom bonus. Prerequisites: Favored Adversary, Rebuke.

DRUID BASE CLASS
Flavor text as PHB druid.
Prerequisites: Gift of green magic, Handle Animal 5+ ranks, Knowledge (nature) 5+ ranks, Survival 5+ ranks
Saves: Will good, Fortitude and Reflex low.
Class Skills: Concentrate, Craft, Handle Animal, Heal, Knowledge (nature), Listen, Profession, Ride, Spot, Survival
Talent. At 1st, 5th, 10th, 14th, and 20th class level, you may choose their talents from the talent trees below or from the generic spellcaster's talent trees.
Bonus feat. At 2nd, 7th, 11th, 13th, 17th, and 19th class level, you may choose a bonus feat from the following:

Nature Sense Talent Tree
Favored Terrain. As ranger talent.
Nature Sense. As PHB druid ability.
Power of Nature. While within your favored terrain, you may add your Wisdom bonus to your effective caster level. Prerequisites: Favored Terrain.
Woodland Stride. As PHB druid ability.
Trackless Step. As PHB druid ability. Prerequisites: Woodland Stride.

Wild Empathy Talent Tree
Wild Empathy. As PHB druid ability.
Animal Speech. You can learn the languages of animals just as you can learn the languages of humanoids. With the chosen animal type, you can communicate with them just as you would with the speak with animal spell, but you expend skill points instead of spell slots to do so. Example animal language groups are: beetle, bird of prey, butterfly, canine, equine, feline, hive insect, reptile, rodent. Prerequisites: Wild Empathy, speak with animal.
Animal Companion. As PHB druid ability.
Familiar. As PHB sorcerer ability, but you can have medium-sized creatures as familiars as well. The benefits granted by the familiar should take into account the creature's natural abilities. A wolf familiar, for instance, could grant the scent ability, but not a bonus to Decipher Script checks. Prerequisites: Animal companion.

Wildshape Talent Tree
Wild Shape (medium). As PHB druid ability.
Wild Shape (Small or Large). As PHB druid ability. Prerequisites: Wild Shape (medium).
Wild Shape (Tiny or Huge). As PHB druid ability. Prerequisites: Wild Shape (small or large).
Wild Shape (elemental). As PHB druid ability. Prerequisites: Wild shape (medium)

WIZARD BASE CLASS
Flavor text as PHB wizard. What follows are only a few sample talent trees available to the wizard base class.
Prerequisites: mage, Knowledge (arcana) 4+ ranks, Spellcraft 2+ ranks, Scribe Scroll, the Gift
HD: d4
Saves: Will good, Fortitude and Reflex low.
Class Skills: Concentrate, Craft (all skills taken individually), Decipher Script, Knowledge (all skills taken individually), Profession, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device
Talent. At 1st, 5th, 10th, 14th, and 20th class level, you may choose their talents from the talent trees below or from the generic spellcaster's talent trees.
Bonus feat. At 2nd, 7th, 11th, 13th, 17th, and 19th class level, you may choose a bonus feat from: any metamagic feat, any item creation feat, Augment Summoning, Combat Casting, Eschew Materials, Magical Aptitude, Spell Focus, Greater Spell Focus, Spell Mastery, Spell Penetration (Greater Spell Penetration).
Spellcasting. Wizard spellcasting is based on Intelligence. Wizards must have an Intelligence score of at least 10 + spell level to cast spells of that level. In addition, wizards must have a number of ranks in Spellcraft equal to twice the spell level of the spells they wish to cast in order to learn them (minimum 1 rank for 0th-level spells). You continue to progress in spells per day as the generic spellcaster, but you have no limit to how many spells you may learn, provided you find the means to do so.
Casting Expertise. For the spells you initially learned as part of your gift, your effective caster level is equal to your wizard level plus your generic spellcaster levels. With spells learned upon becoming a wizard, you only count your wizard class levels as your caster level. With those talents initially chosen as a generic spellcaster, your wizard levels add to them for determining how potent they are. Talents you choose as a wizard only use your wizard class levels in this manner.

Artificer Talent Tree
Imbue Item. You may temporarily bestow a mundane object with a spell you can cast. The potency of the spell depends upon your caster level: 1st-4th level wizards may imbue an item with a 1st-level spell; 5th-8th level wizards a 2nd-level spell; 9th-12th level wizards a 3rd-level spell, 13th-16th level wizards a 4th-level spell; and 17th-20th level wizards can imbue items with a 5th-level spell. Prerequisites: Craft (type of object imbued) 7+ ranks
Improved Item Creation. Your ability to craft magic items depends more upon your skill at craftsmanship than your abilities as a spellcaster. Any spell you know can be put into a magic item of the appropriate type, provided the general function of the spell and the function of the mundane version of the item are similar. You must purchase item creation feats with bonus feats or character feats as normal, but the spellcaster requirement is waived. Prerequisites: Imbue Item, Craft 10+ ranks (type of item you are using this ability on).
Effortless Crafting. Making magical items taxes your internal resources less than it would other wizards. The XP costs for crafting magic items is reduced by 10%. Prerequisites: Improved Item Creation, Craft 12+ ranks (item you are crafting).
Improved Effortless Crafting. As in Effortless Crafting, but reduce the XP cost by 25%. This replaces the benefit of Effortless Crafting. Prerequisites: Effortless Crafting, Craft 15+ ranks (item you are crafting).

The Craft Talent Tree
Wizards prefer to call their method of spellcasting the Craft because of its emphasis on discipline, dedication, and attention to detail. Although the Craft expresses itself in the words, gestures, and ingredients wizards use to cast their spells, the roots of the Craft lie in complex mathematical and philosophical concepts that are beyond the reach of most ordinary people.
Enhanced Gift. Your study and training in the Craft have enhanced your natural spellcasting abilities. Whenever you use material components with spells you initially developed as a mage, you may add your Intelligence bonus to your effective caster level.

Sage Talent Tree
Same as expert generic class's Sage Talent Tree.

Specialist Talent Tree
Prerequisites: You must choose a school in which to specialize, followed by a rival school. The rival school cannot be one based in the gift that already opposes your own. You may still cast spells from your rival school, but you must roll against the chance of arcane spell failure to do so. The likelihood of arcane spell failure depends upon the level of the spell being cast. It starts at 50% for 0th level spells and goes up by 5% for each spell level, ending with a 95% arcane spell failure chance for 9th-level spells.
Metamagic specialization. You may apply metamagic feats to all spells in your specialty school or domain. Prerequisites: Spell Focus (school or domain), one metamagic feat in at least 4 spells (only one for each level) in the school or domain.
Bonus spells per day. With your chosen specialty school, you gain an additional spell per day for each spell level.
Increased caster level. With your chosen specialty school or domain, you add your Intelligence bonus to your effective caster level. This ability stacks with the benefit of Enhanced Gift.

Afrodyte

Explorer
bard, monk, paladin

As you may notice, some of the PHB classes are not listed in these revisions. This is mostly because the classes and talent trees are flexible enough to be able to mix and match to get the "missing" classes. My personal preference is to make the bard, monk, and paladin into prestige classes, but if you want the flavor of the classes, here is how I would go about it.

The easiest to create would be the bard. Just take the generic spellcaster and use Magic Focus (music) as your first talent. For skills, you would obviously take Perform. Another Knowledge skill would be advisable, as would Listen. The last skill would be something to flesh out the character. Gift of the fey is a great gift to start off with, but gift of war, gift of white magic, and gift of black magic would make intriguing choices as well. If all you want is a mage who focuses his powers through music, this is sufficient, but if you want the JOAT aspect, multiclassing with the expert and taking talents from the Jack of All Trades talent tree is the way to go.

The paladin would be the next step. Multiclass a spellcaster (mystic) with a warrior. For spellcaster talents, you can choose gift of war and/or gift of white magic and talents from the Celestial talent tree. For the mount, something from the Magical Companion talent tree would be good too. Just about any of the warrior and/or fighter talents would work for the paladin. The result will not be as powerful as the PHB paladin, but the central concept would still hold.

The monk presents a problem because I don't have anything specifically for unarmed combat, nor do I have something specifically for the contemplative warrior seeking enlightenment. Focusing warrior and/or fighter talents on unarmed combat is a good start. You might also dip into the generic spellcaster (mystic) and start off with the gift of war. You could pick up a talent for gift of the sight or something else that enhances the contemplative aspect of the monk.

If you want to go the PrC route, here's something of what I'd try:

Bard PrC
Prerequisites: Perform (any one music-based skill) 9+ ranks (or 6+ ranks and Skill focus: Perform (any one music-based skill), the gift
Saves: as PHB. Alternatively, all medium.
Skills: Gain the following as class skills: Diplomacy, Knowledge (all taken individually), Listen, Perform, Profession, Sense Motive, Speak Language.
Skill Points per level: 4 + INT modifier
Class abilities: Bardic music, bardic knowledge. Both as PHB.

Monk PrC
Prerequisites: BAB +5 or higher, Improved Unarmed Strike
Saves: as PHB. Alternatively, all medium.
Skills: Gain the following as class skills: Balance, Concentration, Knowledge (religion), Tumble
Class abilities: improved unarmed damage dice (1d6, 1d8, 2d6, 2d8, 3d6), some of the more useful monk abilities.

Paladin PrC
Prerequisites: BAB +5 or higher, Lawful Good
Saves: as PHB. Alternatively, Will and Fortitude good, Reflex poor.
Skills: Gain the following as class skills: Concentration, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Knowledge (religion), Sense Motive
Class abilities: spells, smite evil, aura of good, mount, divine grace

Remove ads