Is "A Song of Ice and Fire" the best epic fantasy since "The Lord of the Rings"?

Is A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE the best epic fantasy since THE LORD OF THE RINGS?

• Yes.

Votes: 53 47.7%
  • No.

Votes: 58 52.3%

nikolai

First Post
A Song of Ice and Fire is very highly regarded on these boards, and elsewhere. I'd like to get a feel for how people think it compares with stuff published since The Lord of the Rings redefined the genre. There's obviously room for debate, if you don't think it is the best epic fantasy since The Lord of the Rings, what is? And what counts as epic fantasy?

CrusaderX

First Post
That depends. Was The Chronicles of Narnia published before or after Tolkien's work? If before, then yes, I think A Song of Ice and Fire is the best since The Lord of the Rings.

Sarigar

First Post
I voted yes based on the epic fantasy that I have read, which does not include many of the books I want to read and haven't which may be better. Most books out there I would not consider "epic" so they don't figure in here although they may be better books.

Fast Learner

First Post
I voted no because it's better than LotR in my view, so the logic becomes shaky when I try to answer "best since." That, and there's a ton of fantasy that I haven't read, including a lot of epic stuff... might have been more honest to simply not answer.

Mystery Man

First Post
I voted no purely for subjectivity reasons. That, and while I love the books I still can't forgive him for writing the Beauty and the Beast series. :p

Another no here. For some reason I just can't get into the books that much. It seems like the only Fantasy books I can read and enjoy have been LotR...well, and Discworld books, but I'm not sure those count in the same genre with LotR and SoFaI ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases