Module recommendations

knifespeaks

First Post
Ok, since I don't know diddly about anything released after about 1985 module-wise, looking for help:

The campaign world I have features module locations - these modules (all first edition ones at this time) are stand alone entities, which the players could theoretically stumble on. I need a few more though.

As for what I am after, think original Tomb of Horrors - stand alone, abandoned areas. I don't really want ones which are populated by living, breathing marauder-type monsters or NPC's. Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun is another example. They need to be old crypts or ancient, forgotten temples - classic dungeon-crawl material is fine.

Level is unimportant, as is size - just so long as the modules' idea works with it being abandoned and forgotten.

qstor

Adventurer
Try Lost Crypt of Barkus something like that or Dungeon Crawl Classic by Goodman games for starters...

Mike

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
The 2004 ENnie-nominated "World of Whitethorn 1B: The Village of Oester"!

If you like pre-1985 stuff, you will love this one. I collect pre-1985 modules only, so I am a big fan of that style. Of course, it's good to have the 3.5 rules now and an updated way for useage. For example, more and better detail are always helpful as are DM Tips and extras.

Psion

Adventurer
I don't really want ones which are populated by living, breathing marauder-type monsters or NPC's.

Some respondants aren't paying too close attention to your criteria.

AEG's Adventure Anothology II has 4 "tomb adventures" in this vein.

But really, for what you are looking for, the best one stop shopping to be had is (yes, I am recommending an FFE product) Treasure Quests: Tombs of Ra. It's ALL abandoned, sealed (or plundered) tombs.

Here's a review:
http://www.enworld.org/reviews/index.php?sub=yes&where=active&reviewer=Psion&product=ToR

Treebore

First Post
Necromancer games and Goodman Games has a lot of modules to your liking. Rappan Athuk, Tomb of Abysthor, several others.

scadgrad

First Post
Nightfall said:
Rappan Athuk man. If you thought Tomb of Horrors was leathal, you'll be in for a shocker...

Come on Nightfall, even a Necromancer Fanboy like me wouldn't go that far ;)

RA is deadly, but if you play smart and know when to retreat, it can be survived. It's not really meant to be "cleaned out" though, so trying to play it through to the end or getting greedy/hardheaded will most likely yield a TPK at some point. OTOH, Tomb of Horrors is often a choose or die, random deathtrap and IME is far, far more dangerous (and random) then RA. That doesn't mean that all of us Devil DMs don't love it though huh?

Back to the point...

Rappan Athuk is your hook up and is not to be missed. You know actually knifespeaks, you'd probably like MOST of Necromancer games modules. From the description of your needs, here's what I'd recommend:

Rappan Athuk I-III: The reigning King in this category IMO.
Lost City of Barakus: I'm running it right now, it's definitely an ancient site, but it has been recently repopulated, perhaps too much for your needs. Even so, it's an awesome product.
Demons & Devils: There are a few moments in these 3 killers that make RA look like Candyland; high level sites, but EXACTLY what you're looking for and one of the best RPG bargains ever when you consider all of the online support.
Tomb of Absythor: Again, an ancient site, but w/ some "new owners" and quite different than what your players might expect; loads of fun.
The Bone Garden: I haven't ran this one yet, but it's lying unguarded and forgotten in my game world, just waiting for some unexpecting rubes ... er, uh heros to stumble into it. It's ancient, cruel, and relatively easy to work into any setting.

Here's the link to Necromancer Games' product page

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases