Moderate magic world...higher tech (my players out)

Kashell

First Post
I was wondering if yall had any ideas on running a 'moderate' magic world so to speak with a higher level of technology to balance it out. Basically, this would mean that Gnome devices are widespread and that renaisance weapons exist...At the same time, I want to keep a statistical hold on the magic items that exist in the world.

So far, I've taken the loot tables given in the DM's guide (3.5) and reduced the % chance of getting magical items by 80%...Even so, I don't think this is enough 'nerfing' of magical items.

I don't want to directly fool around with the magic system, but at the same time, something else needs to be done.

If asked, I'll give the details of my campaign so far if you need some further understanding of what exactly is going on.

Storyteller01

First Post
I wpouldn't mind seeing the details of your campaign...

IMC< the rich and elite are the only ones who can afford to use magic. I have to wing it in campaign, but I tend to double or triple the price of magic based equipment (including spell components, if the seller knows what it worth to the wizard). Gives tech the advantage of affordability, availability, and ease of use (the rich tend to make magic items class or family specific. Anyone can use tech)

The Iron Kingdoms setting has an excellent selection of non-magical equipment and devices. They may not be as powerful as magic, but they give a definite edge to those wp use them. If you don't have the book, I'm sure others on site can help (I don't think it violates OGL policy, but feel free to slap me if it does...)

Last edited:

Kashell

First Post
Doh, of course I totally forgot about the most obvious answer of upping the prices...

Then again, I don't want my PC's going on money grabbing quests either. There goes that idea :(

Storyteller01

First Post
Kashell said:
Doh, of course I totally forgot about the most obvious answer of upping the prices...

Then again, I don't want my PC's going on money grabbing quests either. There goes that idea :(

It's a Renaisanse style campaign, yes?

What are the odds that most of the dugeons and other 'free money' sources have been played out?

If they want cash, make them earn it!! :)

Kashell

First Post
It's a 'gnomes are more important' campaign, not a ren. style campaign. The explaination behind the creation of guns is due to gnomish tendancies ;)

There are other things that I'm trying to work the whole technology bit into, (that would take too long to explain) but this is looking very interesting.

I appriciate the fast replies :)

Remove ads