Need help from History and Sci-Fi buffs

SWAT

First Post
Trying to come up with a general technology level table for my multi-dimensional campaign, and I could use some help. I know I'm missing some important stuff. Class T, for example, is empty, and, ironically, I have no idea what technology characterizes the Middle Ages. Can those who know a lot about history help me with A-L, and those who've read and watched a lot of sci-fi help with N-Z? Thanks!

A: Class A planets are completely barren. They contain no technology because there is no life. Most planets in the Multiverse are Class A, but agents rarely have a reason to visit one.
B: Class B planets contain life, but none of it is intelligent. Planets that only have plant life and/or creatures of no greater than animal intelligence belong to this class.
C: Inhabitants of Class C planets show the beginnings of intelligence. They make and use tools as well as fire.
D: The most intelligent creatures of Class D planets form social groups beyond immediate family. These tribes rely on hunting and gathering for food.
E: Agriculture has been developed on Class E planets, as well as the domestication of animals. As a result, populations are larger.
F: Class F planets traditionally correspond to the bronze age because bronze is widely used. Advanced agricultural technologies, such as irrigation, are present. Wheeled vehicles are common. Large building projects, such as huge temples and pyramids, are often first attempted at this level of technology.
G: On Class G planets, the discovery and widespread use of iron has had a great impact. Travelling long distances by ship is increasingly common. Sciences such as math, astronomy, and biology are undergoing rapid development.
H: Class H planets are the epitome of medieval times.
I: On Class I planets, gunpowder has revolutionized war, while the printing press has allowed the proliferation of books.
J: Class J planets are distinguished mostly by the presence of steam engines. These allow fast overland travel, and lead to the rapid colonization of new lands.
K: On Class K planets, electricity has been discovered as a usable power source. Light bulbs, radios and telephones are all present. Combustion engines are first used.
L: Class L planets are undergoing an industrialization process. Products are mass produced for the first time. Powered flight becomes a reality.
M: Class M planets are characterized by the development and adoption of information technology, which changes the world of communications forever. Space travel is first attempted.
N: Class N planets are usually very similar to Class M planets, only more advanced in every way. Vehicles can drive themselves. All manner of technology can be controlled by voice.
O: On Class O planets, warfare has changed once again due to the introduction of energy weapons such as lasers and blasters. Nanotechnology has allowed medical breakthroughs that render most diseases a thing of the past.
P: The field of artificial intelligence is advanced enough on Class P planets to allow multi-purpose droids and robots. Such planets are also often capable of easily exploring all other nearby planets.
Q: On Class Q planets, energy has been fully mastered. Unlimited energy cell technology guarantees that energy will be available and plentiful forever more. Furthermore, energy can now be shaped and controlled for many purposes, such as force fields.
R: On Class R planets, there is very little difference between the intelligence of living creatures and computers. In other words, artificial intelligence is now near-perfect.
S: Class S planets have discovered hyper space travel and communications, suddenly making the Universe a much smaller place.
T: ???
U: Class U planets have discovered inter-dimensional travel and communications.
V: Class V planets correspond to MARANDA’s level of technology. Inter-dimensional travel is well-established and mostly used for commercial and diplomatic needs.
W: Class W planets have achieved a level of super-science that makes it very hard to differentiate between science and magic. True artificial intelligence has finally been achieved, which consequently allows actual minds to be uploaded to computers.
X: On Class X planets science is completely and utterly indistinguishable from magic.
Y: Class Y planets are currently only theoretical.
Z: Class Z planets are currently only theoretical. At this point, technology allows one to do almost anything. Someone with such technology could easily be mistaken for a god.

For the curious, MARANDA stands for Multiverse Anomaly Repair AND Assistance, the organization the PCs work for.

SWAT said:
Trying to come up with a general technology level table for my multi-dimensional campaign, and I could use some help. I know I'm missing some important stuff. Class T, for example, is empty, and, ironically, I have no idea what technology characterizes the Middle Ages. Can those who know a lot about history help me with A-L, and those who've read and watched a lot of sci-fi help with N-Z? Thanks!

F: Class F planets traditionally correspond to the bronze age because bronze is widely used. Advanced agricultural technologies, such as irrigation, are present. Wheeled vehicles are common. Large building projects, such as huge temples and pyramids, are often first attempted at this level of technology.
G: On Class G planets, the discovery and widespread use of iron has had a great impact. Travelling long distances by ship is increasingly common. Sciences such as math, astronomy, and biology are undergoing rapid development.
H: Class H planets are the epitome of medieval times.

There wasn't much technological achievement in the Middle Ages that I'm aware of that wasn't carried over from previous ages. The world went from backwards to just stagnant in such terms. However, perhaps the water mill was invented during this time.

IMO the first sentence of class G is separated from the other two sentences. Those sciences advanced slowly until the Rennaissance.

S: Class S planets have discovered hyper space travel and communications, suddenly making the Universe a much smaller place.
T: ???
U: Class U planets have discovered inter-dimensional travel and communications.

IMO Class S should only discover one of the technologies, preferably the former. If that's the case, then you wouldn't use FTL comm, you would use the smallest hyperspace-capable vessels you have for purposes of communications. It would be expensive. (The Gap Cycle worked like this.)

Class T would then have the pre-requisites of class S.

Turjan

Explorer
Christopher Lambert said:
There wasn't much technological achievement in the Middle Ages that I'm aware of that wasn't carried over from previous ages. The world went from backwards to just stagnant in such terms. However, perhaps the water mill was invented during this time.

A common misconception ;). Some techniques got lost, that's true, like how to erect concrete buildings. Sometimes it are the perceived "small" inventions that are indeed revolutionary. Just think of the invention of the harness that allows a horse to pull a plough (must have been between 1000 and 1100). Before that, ploughs had to been drawn by oxen, because oxen survive a yoke (horses don't). The result was a population explosion in large parts of northern Europe, where only sandy soils had been cultivated before this invention.

Other things are metallurgy, or mathematics and medicine in the Near East. Arabian inventions were readily imported to European countries. The legend of the "Dark Ages" that were hostile to science is just a legend spread by the "open minds" of the Renaissance.

Steverooo

First Post
I have to challenge the whole notion of "Tech. Levels", as defined here... I can imagine a "Class C" world, where a race like the Xiang, who don't use fire or tools, have a working Gate. Stargate SG-1's Tech. Level is too low for them to have gate travel, as well... See the problem?

An alternative might be to have different "types" of technology, with some places being Tech. Level "C", in general, but with "Y" protection, for instance. (Stargate SG-1's Naug, or Nock, or whatever, for instance).

wedgeski

Adventurer
I think that the list looks real good. I don't think you have a problem with cultures which may be 'low' grade, and yet have working advanced technology introduced by another species. Such intervention will break any scale you could devise. Your list simply describes cultures left to their own devices... who don't blow the crap out of themselves somewhere in the middle of the alphabet.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Well, one notable "invention" that I've noticed that's missing is the process of terraforming a planet on a large biochemical scale... basically making a planet like Earth.

Personally, rather than a straight A-Z scale of determining technology, I prefer a multi-faceted approach somewhat similar to what was done in Alternity or D20 Future - there are various categories that a culture can be ranked in, and these can differ greatly. For example, metallurgy might be minimal on a planet with little to no iron, but overall technology would still progress. Same with telecommunications, or warfare, or electronics, or terraforming, or biochemistry, or travel. That way you can have a culture that has made great strides in the area of medicine (biochem high), but still hasn't mastered air-flight (low travel).

Remove ads