Of Passion, Virtue, and Vice: Designing Variant Experience and Alignment Systems

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
For a while now I've been grappling with how to handle experience gains in 3.x. Coming from a background that includes a significant amount of gaming in systems with more static experience metasystems, I'd like to include elements of those systems in my games. While the variant included in the Wheel of Time where you gain level x [X] for adventures of certain length makes serious headway, I'd like to determine experience on a per session basis. But this alone is still a little unsatisfying.

Tangently, I'd like to ditch alignment in my games. While I am not a fine of the particular allignment system in D&D, I like how it reinforces consistency of action. To replace alignment, I'd like to provide a vehicle that encourages sticking to a character concept, while allowing for change over time. I'd also like it to support widely divergent play styles.

My initial thoughts on the matter are to have three distinct elements that a player defines during character creation, but that they can change between sessions if character growth necessitates it. Let's call these three elements Passion, Virtue, and Vice. A character's Passion would entail what morally neutral motivation drives them the most. Examples might include Wanderlust, Tactics, Survival, Excellence in Battle, etc. A character's Virtue would entail the moral element which drives their moral decision making process more than any other moral virtue. Examples might include Loyalty, Compassion, Friendship, Appreciation of bueatiful women, Honesty, Justice, etc. A character's Vice would entail what their largest moral shortcoming is. Examples would include Intemperence, Greed, Lust, Violence, etc.

Generally what I'm looking for is a means to tie a more static experience gain with Passion, Virtue, and Vice. I'd like to reward staying with a character concept, but not to the point where characters remain static. In general I'd like for experience gains to be slightly slower than the PHB dictates, but not so slow that it takes more than 8 or 9 sessions to level. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Acid_crash

First Post
For a good Virtue/Vice system take a look at the new World of Darkness book from White Wolf.

For a decent replacement for Alignments I think the Alleigances from d20 Modern work well, but I have yet to see how they would function in a D&D game.

Quickleaf

Legend
Passions...Each character begins with 5 points to apply to passions; these are goals the character has, and aren't necessarily good or evil (depening on how you look at it) in and of themselves. It's what the PC *DOES* about the passion that is good/evil. Examples of passions: Love for the princess (+3),
Find the lost city of Shelzar (+2), Preach the message of the Loregiver (+1), Find my brother’s corpse and bury it (+3), Rebuild the family's home (+2)

These numbers can represent daily modifier pools. Each day, a PC may apply a number of points equal to their passion (divided as they see fit) to rolls directly involving their goal. For example, a PC in love with the princess might use +1 on a Diplomacy check with the gatekeeper of the castle she lives in if he's trying to sneak in to visit. Later, if he is protecting her, he could get +2 attacking her would-be kidnappers. However, he wouldn't be able to use these points if he was stealing money from her father (unrelated).

Experience.....Have you checked out personality feats? (check out Dynasties & Demagogues from Atlas games, website has basic info on personality feats for free)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases