Most Unusual or Outrageous Character or NPC Names

Trainz

Explorer
Not necessarily outrageous, but remember the movie Bigby and the Secret of Nim ?

There was a rat who was some kind of wizard (cool scenes with him in it) that was named Nichodemus.

I have used the name Nichodemus quite often for arcanists IMC over the years.

My Paladin has a follower that trains mounts for the rest of her followers... he has a knack with horses--some may even think he can talk with them. His name: Horace Whisperer.

Additionally, my character's name is Justice Fairweather... frequently in game, we have to designate between Justce the person and justice the concept.

Goes a little like this:
Our bard: "We must continue to fight this war for justice and the greater good!"
Liz the player, not really paying attention: "Justice? My character is there? I thought that she wasn't in the room."
Everyone else: "No, Liz. Justice the concept... not the person."

Another one of those "meant to change it" names...

Pozatronic

First Post
yeah, I got some:

Blaster, A dwarven fighter
Edgar Wong Po, a human monk
Ferd o' the wild frontier...I think I was inspired by Ren O' The Blades from FR

oh man, these aren't even funny.

DaveStebbins

First Post
Not long after we started the campaign our group saved a strange alien baby and we were tasked with raising it and keeping it safe. It was late and none of us could come up with a name for him. When one player suggested we name him Testiclees, we all broke down laughing. Since then, the group has called itself The Guardians, short for The Guardians of Testiclees.

Last edited:

Gez

First Post
In an Eberron PbP, I made a gnome from the house Sivis. Meet Parabelle and her familiar, Pacem.

(If you don't get it, si vis pacem para bellum is the latin citation for "if you want peace, stay ready for war.")

Zweischneid

First Post
Well, it was actually a Shadowrun game, but I had lots and lots of fun (and my GM didn't) with a character named after the Aztec God of war... HUITZILOPOCHTLI

ivocaliban

First Post
Dandy Leanpockets - halfling bard (yes, named after the microwavable foodstuff)

Toggaf the Brazen - half-orc barbarian/rogue (you figure it out)

Wink Martindale
Monty Hall - human rogues (a pair of swindlers who kept harassing the PCs)

AFGNCAAP

First Post
Well,

One player named his svirneblin character Hobblesnot Dribblespit the Sixth. As he would kill/defeat a single monster during the game, he'd add to the character's name (stuff like "Slayer of Illithids" & whatnot). It became a lengthy process whenever anyone asked him his name. However, it was often shortened to "Hobble." The same player, with another gnome, named that PC Gobblehop SitnSpin.

Another player named a halfling cleric PC (of the sea god) Hassel Davidhoff. Liked red shorts. He had a black pony with red eyes. He also played a mongrelman cleric called Baaaaaaaaaah (yes, as in te animal sound).

My g/f played a halfling rogue named Tapioca (she adventured w/ Gobblehop SitnSpin). An ice mage character of hers is named Tundra von Winter. A female ogre fighter character she made up for fun was named Buttons.

One player pretty much stuck with an Asian-themed character, usually some sort of warrior or the like, armed with a bow, named Subotai (of Conan the Barbarian fame). Could be a scout, a samurai, a mercenary, whatever--the character always had those traits. And generally, the same personality.

A current player in our group has a ranger called Indigo Montoya (remove the "d" from the first name, & you'll get the jist).

An NPC in a friend's game was an elf mage named Akarsalin, often shortened to "Akar" (pronounced "a-Car"). Of course, when anyone would say "Akar?", it was often followed by "No, a van," or "No, a bus."

I have a fair number of NPCs with defining/definition-based names like:
  • Shiv, the dagger-wielding warrior
  • Drumond the dwarf druid (the name Drumond meaning "druid mountain")
  • Harbin the gnome paladin (Harbin meaning "little warrior")
  • Ivar the Bowman (Ivar meaning "yew" or "archer")
  • Jussom Guy, a man on the street
  • Chuckles the Jester (thank Ultima for this one)
  • Bayne the elf assassin
  • Raorr the half-orc druid
  • Axel the axe-wielding barbarian
  • Thorin, the hammer-wielding dwarf
  • Riordan the Bard (Riordan meaning "bard")
  • Clark the cleric
  • Whisper the rogue
  • Oskar Ironhelm, the gruff, grouchy dwarf

That's what I can recall, so far.

ares71

First Post
From various games:

A Minotaur fighter named T-Bone

A pair of Half-Orc Barbarian brothers that went by Fe-Fi, and Fo-Fum

A half-ogre from first edition with a 4 Intelligence that went simply by Og

A dwarf nicknamed Hack. It wasn't his actual name just a nickname his character disliked (interesting quirk). Never discovered his actual name, so was referred to as the Dwarf formerly known as Hack.

A Holy Warrior of Maal (from Green Ronin's Book of the Righteous), that was so annoying to the other players by his "Lawful" ways they started calling him the "Mall Cop"

Remove ads