What's on your mind?
+ Log in or register to post
Results 1 to 10 of 13
Thread: Mmmmm Kobolds
Wednesday, 17th April, 2002, 05:44 PM #1
Novice (Lvl 1)
So DM's, what's the highest level group you've all bested with Kobolds? Not necessarily killed (although that counts ) but simply got the better of? Post stories if they are good as well heh. I've always felt that kobolds tend to get the shaft. I did once make a 10th level party hand over a magic item to escape a trap the kobolds set. Unfortunately upon being set free, they 'fought' their way out.
Wednesday, 17th April, 2002, 06:07 PM #2
The Great Druid (Lvl 17)
- Join Date
- Jan 2002
- Austin, TX
- Read 0 Reviews
- Blog Entries
ø Ignore Mouseferatu
<tooting my own horn>
A few months from now--don't have an exact release date--Monkey God Enterprises will be releasing my second D20 module so far. It's intended for characters of around 7th level, and the main villains are...
If you think the little critters got the shaft, you'll like this one.
</tooting my own horn>Ari Marmell, aka Mouseferatu--Rodent of the Dark
Wednesday, 17th April, 2002, 06:14 PM #3
The 2ED Dragon Mountain box set featured a huge complex of kobolds led by a powerful red dragon. I believe it was set for around 15th level and it was a killer. This is how kobolds out to be!We will settle this the old fashion way. The first guy to die, loses!
Wednesday, 17th April, 2002, 06:19 PM #4
Acolyte (Lvl 2)
Originally posted by Some guy from Ohio
The 2ED Dragon Mountain box set featured a huge complex of kobolds led by a powerful red dragon. I believe it was set for around 15th level and it was a killer. This is how kobolds out to be!
I mean you could give a pack of Osquip wands of Fireballs and expect folks of a higher level to start dropping pretty quickly <g>
Wednesday, 17th April, 2002, 06:19 PM #5
Myrmidon (Lvl 10)
Let's see, I think I had a party that ranged from 5th to 7th decide that kobolds were too tough for them. This was years ago and I don't remember all of the details.
In my game kobolds are masters of traps and pretty good at setting up ambushes.
They were travelling through the woods in southern ravenloft. I think one of them spotted a pair of Kobolds who threw javelins at them. The paladin, one of hte rangers, the fighter, and the cleric charged into the woods after the kobolds who ran and jumped into a steep incline pit (can go down with no damage, but tough to climb out. The warriors hit some snares and spike on bent branch traps along the way but kept going. When they got into the pit they were shot by crossbow bolts from arrow slit type openings in the pit sides. There was a small opening the kobolds went in and the human paladin and ranger entered. The opening was too small for the humans to be fully upright, was very narrow and they had no torches so they were in the dark without room to effectively use their big swords. They did notice small openings in the walls and ceiling at irregular intervals. The cleric was getting a torch going while the ranger and the paladin were getting crossbow bolts shot at them from side arrow slits. Then the paladin shouted out some exclamation as oil flasks were poured onto him and then the ranger. They came out screaming and lit on fire. The fighter at that point said there was no way he was going in there, he was sick of getting shot at and wanted out of the pit. The bard, and the elven wizard hung back while the elven ranger helped the four human toughs out of the pit. They then left quickly feeling lucky to be alive. The paladin and the ranger wanted to go back and kill everything down there but were sure they would die quickly and were not even sure they would get to land a blow.
Wednesday, 17th April, 2002, 07:50 PM #6
Novice (Lvl 1)
Thursday, 18th April, 2002, 06:05 AM #7
Novice (Lvl 1)
Rather than watch me frothing at the mouth, just read no. 10 below:
Arwink's Top Ten Reasons Why Kobolds Are Going To Take Over From Dragons In The Title of 4th ED.
1. The image change started in 3e the 3e books, and Kobolds look better in spikes and chains than dragons do.
2. Sorcerors have the blood of dragons in the veins, and kobolds are the sorcerers that most enthusiastically repeat this claim. Innocent flavor text, or is Wizards softening us up for the change?
3. Kobolds taste of oil and cabbage, while dragons are akin to chicken. Who are you hunting for dinner?
4. The years of skill the DM community has put into mastering the use of kobold has taught us nothing about dragons. They're to small to fit in tight passage ways, claws are a pain when setting traps, and dragons can't stand each other long enough to deal with team-work.
5. Everyone wants to be called a Dragonslayer, cause dragons have lots of hit points and fearsome attacks. Sooner or later, even the great wyrms will be hunted to extinction. (This is a clever peice of campaigning on the kobolds part, because it also causes everyone to underestimate creatures with no natural weapons and a piddly half a hit die.)
6. Kobolds and dragons crossbreed well, creating one of the most dangerous creatures known in any plane. These half-kobold/half dragon legions will wipe out dragons as we know them, claim the leadership of the kobold race and enjoy all the preveliges of both races.
7. Dragonlances are back boys and girls, and they are coming to a 3e game near you. Kobold lances are yet to be discovered.
8. Kobold sor8/rog5/assasin7. He should be able to take out the younger wyrms, and he'll move onto the older ones when the epic rules come out. Some may call it cheating and unfair, but the kobolds call it an investment in the future.
9. Kobolds have less shin than dragons, and are therefor less prone to nose bleeds.
10. Many DM's consider it a mark of pride to kill a party of 10th level characters with a well played kobold clan, yet few seem proud when they manage the same feat with a single dragon.
(This is, of course, a complete miscomprehension on the DM's part - players prepare for months before fighting a dragon, yet they'll blithely walk through trap after trap in a kobolds lair until their opponents have more hit points. Killing a party of overconfident PC's is easy, killing them once they've buffed up with magic is hard. More DM should take pride in the skill with which they run dragons, and realise that the innocent-looking kobolds are truly character death incarnate).
Somedays I think B.A.D.D needs a sub-branch - Bothered About Killer KoboldsPeter M. Ball
Thursday, 18th April, 2002, 01:41 PM #8
Novice (Lvl 1)
Thursday, 18th April, 2002, 03:38 PM #9
Myrmidon (Lvl 10)
Years ago dragon magazine had an article on "famous last words" my group's favorite was "They're only kobolds."
Thursday, 18th April, 2002, 03:53 PM #10
Novice (Lvl 1)
Fear of Kolbolds
I am not the DM in this story, and it is a 2dn Ed story. But in the game world we play in all players are absolutely terrorfied of Kolbolds. See in his game world the Kobolds are the chosen of the God of Chaos, Trickery and other really annoying things. It was all fun and games until someone hurt or killed a Kobold, then we all heard the dreaded...sigh of Doom from the Kobolds who no longer look at tormenting the characters as fun. From there is would always turn into a route as we desperately tried to flee.
In the new incarnation they are diferant and just as deadly, seems they decided they no longer wanted to be tricksters and now they are forming nations of there own. And once again we fear the Kolbolds! Now though it is the dreaded Kobold Heavey Cavalry. And it is no laughning matter these guys are deadly!
Now you have to understand, this is a power gamers wet dream campaign and he schools us with Kolbolds almost at will. And I am not inplying he cheats of powers them up in some way, they are just to damn smart!
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid
By liberofurore in forum Older D&D Editions and OSR GamingReplies: 28Last Post: Wednesday, 8th October, 2008, 06:18 AM
By Kahuna Burger in forum Miscellaneous Geek Talk & Media LoungeReplies: 50Last Post: Saturday, 8th March, 2008, 09:05 PM
By escaflowne777 in forum Older D&D Editions and OSR GamingReplies: 7Last Post: Tuesday, 23rd January, 2007, 05:25 PM
By Shemeska in forum General RPG DiscussionReplies: 16Last Post: Tuesday, 24th June, 2003, 07:36 AM
By Krug in forum Miscellaneous Geek Talk & Media LoungeReplies: 2Last Post: Monday, 11th November, 2002, 05:13 AM