For new players, it's hard to beat the Hero Builder's Guidebook

Sebastian Francis

First Post
I think this book has suffered from an unfair dismissal by many D&D DMs, but man, do I love it. My wife is joining my new Planescape 3.0 campaign in January, and she's never played an RPG before. She's currently reading through the Hero Builder's Guidebook and loving it. It truly is an excellent resource for introducing new players to the process of designing a character.

If 3.5 is your version of choice, I can see where it may not be as appropriate (of course, you've got the Basic Game [tm] instead!), but if you're a 3.0 grognard like me, you *must* have multiple copies of Hero Builder's Guidebook.

'Nuff said.

Kirin'Tor

First Post
Yep...HBG gets ratted on alot as a useless product, but for players who've never played an RPG, or who want to try something different\randomly generated, there's not much beating it.

It's sure as heck better than having every new player say "I wanna be an elf, with a bow & a sword, and slide down stuff, and take down orcs, and I wanna be woodsy...oh, but I wanna carry the ring? Wahddya mean there's no ring?!?!?!"

Crothian

First Post
I actually think a lot of peopel realize this, but since most of the gamers have gamed for many eons it was useless to them. I did design a gnome nation around the gnome ideas in that book though.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I think the big thing about the book was that large chunks of it encouraged behaviour that creates all those gamers you hate to game with - loners, distrustful individuals, individuals with no real reason to be adventuring and the like.

You know - advice that you have to be experienced roleplayers before you know to avoid it.

And on the other end, it didn't give anything that benefited those experienced roleplayers.

So - lack of focus was it's downfall I think.

cybertalus

First Post
I thought people didn't like it because it wasn't overstuffed with new feats, spells, prestige classes, magic items, monsters, and mundane equipment but instead was all about helping inspire you to come up with an idea for a character.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Unfortunately, the Hero Builder's Guide is really a big turn-off for new players with D&D.

Why? Ignore the text. Look at the artwork.

:(

Cheers!

Eremite

Explorer
MerricB said:
Unfortunately, the Hero Builder's Guide is really a big turn-off for new players with D&D.

Why? Ignore the text. Look at the artwork.

:(

Cheers!

The curse of Crabapple strikes again! Judgements about art are generally pretty subjective but his stuff is definitely an abjuration rather than an evocation, if you will pardon the D&D-speak. If you're going to have art in an intro type book, grab Wayne Reynolds, Sam Wood, Todd Lockwood, Wayne England, Arne/Arnie Swekel etc... and go for something evocative.

Notwithstanding that, I also found the book to be pretty good for new players, and even not so new players who are making the transition from min/maxing to building characters.

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Eremite said:
The curse of Crapapple strikes again!

Notwithstanding that, I also found the book to be pretty good for new players, and even not so new players who are making the transition from min/maxing to building characters.

Please avoid the temptation to make fun of someones name like this - it isn't a friendly thing to do and the artist would be pretty offended to come across it should he decide to visit ENworld.

It is OK to express your dislike of a product or style of artwork, it isn't OK to make personal attacks on individuals.

Just a friendly reminder, that's all.

Cheers
Plane Sailing
ENworld Moderator

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases