Battle Cries and Battle Tactics

So I want to play a Smart Hero/Strong Hero with the Plan talent. There's just one problem: I've never been in the Army. I'm not sure what sort of quick orders I could give.

Most of the commands I've seen in novels go something like this:

"Cover my six!"
"Get 'em from both sides!"
"Go to Point Wolverine, wait eight seconds, then get back!"

This doesn't really explain how you're getting your bonuses in most cases, however.

Inspiration is even more confusing in some ways. The orders you give are a lot shorter, but it helps if they sound ... well ... inspiring.

Can people come up with better examples than "For the Glory of the [x!]"

Last edited:

Krieg

First Post
Do a Google search on Marine GySgt Dan Daly. You will find a highly motivational line that he yelled to goad his Marines into attacking a numerically superior German force in Belleu Woods during WWI.

That line works every time. ;)

takyris

First Post
CL: What kind of character is he, and what's the squad like? And what is your group like?

If you're playing with a bunch of hardcore military vets or geeks, then they'll have better info for you than most of us will. If you're playing with ordinary non-military geeks, you can get by with just about anything that sounds good. And if you're playing in a really lighthearted group, you can pretty much say anything you want.

As a player, I like to call out nice vague stuff, so that I'm not effectively shoehorning someone into a course of action. Calling out "Scimitar, lay down covering fire for Zeke, and aim for the turrets!" only justifies a bonus if Scimitar is laying down that covering fire. If you shout out something like, "Scimitar, aim for the turrets, and keep your #$#@! shoulder tense when you shoot at the sons-o-guns!" justifies a +1 on attack rolls, no sweat. Heck, shouting "Scimitar, don't stand there patting yourself on the back! Shorten your $$@! profile and get cover!" is a fine way to inspire folks with a +1 to Defense.

I statted up (but never played) a fun Cha/Tough that I imagined as a Drill Sergeant, able to inspire people by yelling at them.

The plan talent is used before combat, not in combat. So, at worse, you will have to figure out the whole combat plan.

The best way to handle plan is the following:
You and the other members of the party discuss their assault/defense plan together, and at the end, you rephrase the final plan you are going with. Roll, calculate bonus (regardless on how good or bad the plan is - you aren´t a real world militarian, as you said, you aren´t a tactical expert), and let the action begin.

If you played a few times, you will learn about combat tactics (at least ingame), and learn when to give advice. (Like: "Kill the mage first!" "take cover" "charge" "get the machinegunner in melee" "scatter")

Inspiration might be a bit tougher ...
"Today is a good day to die..." (maybe add: for the other side!)

takyris said:
CL: What kind of character is he, and what's the squad like? And what is your group like?

He's ex-military, the "squad" isn't, however. They're just regular adventurers. He gets annoyed because they don't know what leap-frog means :)

The players aren't military guys.

As a player, I like to call out nice vague stuff, so that I'm not effectively shoehorning someone into a course of action. Calling out "Scimitar, lay down covering fire for Zeke, and aim for the turrets!" only justifies a bonus if Scimitar is laying down that covering fire. If you shout out something like, "Scimitar, aim for the turrets, and keep your #$#@! shoulder tense when you shoot at the sons-o-guns!" justifies a +1 on attack rolls, no sweat. Heck, shouting "Scimitar, don't stand there patting yourself on the back! Shorten your $$@! profile and get cover!" is a fine way to inspire folks with a +1 to Defense.

This is a pretty good example.

I statted up (but never played) a fun Cha/Tough that I imagined as a Drill Sergeant, able to inspire people by yelling at them.

Post him!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases