Monte Cook - you've gone and done it now!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So, I've just ended one campaign successfully, and am moving on to a second (with the same players and PCs). Last week, they went through a portal which took them to another plane, as I intended to make the next major campaign arc an outer plane based affair.

So, I borrowed a Planescape boxed set from one of my players, hoping for inspiration. However, I had no desire to use a setting that any of my players were familiar with. I sent them though to a Sigil-esque place (as I like that concept), although it differs in quite a few ways. I hadn't yet decided where to go from there.

Until I started leafing through Beyond Countless Doorways, that is. What a fantastic book! From the basic cosmological setup (conjunctions, severances, and so forth) to the host of varied plug-in planes to be found in the book, it was exactly what I needed. It's all familiar enough that the players will be able to grasp it fairly easy, yet different enough to the traditional D&D set-up that they will be continually surprised. The planes in the book are unique and varied - and a lot of fun.

I won't be using the book as written, of course (I don't think I've ever used anything exactly as written), but as a source of ideas and inspiration, it's perfect for my game.

I don't know what plans are in place for follow-ups, but I'd buy a second book with a bunch of new planes in a heartbeat. I'd also buy short adventures in a second (Phil Reed, meet Monte Cook - the setup is ideal for your mini-PDF model).

Anyway, it's not often that I ramble on about a particular book. But this one was so perfect for my game, and made me so excited about the possibilities of the next few months (so many ideas running through my head!), that I couldn't help myself.

MrFilthyIke

First Post
It's ok Morrus, this is a fansite that indulges in our every fanboy whim. ;)

It's on my "To buy" list, after many other books my poor wallet must pay for. :)

edit: fer spelin

Last edited:

Eremite

Explorer
Yes, in fact, if Monte posts in response to this thread someone should chide him immediately with a comment along the lines of, "Shouldn't you be writing BCDII?"

diaglo

Adventurer
heh.. heh..heh... :heh:

i was digging thru some of my 2ed Planescape stuff to help BOZ out last night...

well i came across this and well... :eek: got distracted

sorry BOZ... i'll try again tonight.

Driddle

First Post
This ought to be moved to one of the other forum areas, as it deals with alternative d20 products and a header addressing the creator about the product. Perhaps a review would be in order?

Just trying to be helpful. No sin greater than a thread in the wrong forum.

Of course, as the message board owner, I'd think Morrus can decide which forum is appropriate.

Especially as the book is a D&D book, not an AU book, or OGL book, or other d20 game book. There isn't a more appropriate forum for discussion on a D&D book than this one.

My only complaint with the book is that it's a pain to try and read the entire thing as a pdf... ;)

Remove ads