Anything wrong with this build (other than the DM said no)

uzagi_akimbo

First Post
italianranma said:
As far as character concept, think FF VII Cloud. Nuff said.

Well, to many GMs, Manga-style humungously sized weapons wielded by pint-sized characters are just not what they want in their camapigns. Like, hmm, a thayan FR campaign or anything set in the FR. Their privilege - because they define the world, write up the adventures and try to make the story fun for their players. If monstrous swords step on their toes... well... be Actually, while we are at it, lets combine gun-powder weaponry smack into melee weapons, as done in FF-VIII. Sorry chum, but this is D20 Fantasy, and not BESM-Manga hour.... :D

As for his assumption, that EWP-Bastard sword and EWP-heavy weapons (care for a precise reference of that ? It's neither in MoF, and nor in RoF EDIT : found it among the wepaon materials ) might not be stacking, it sounds rather like a house rule/GM's call, but that is within his rights as well. EDIT : besides them doing very similar things (allowing the user to wield an oversized weapon one-handedly) and being from different editions (read: EWP-heavy, never a core rule was written long before anyone even thought of Monkey Grip). I can actually understand him deciding that the two EWPs were doing almost exactly the same thing and hence not stacking - the normal bastard sword being a "heavy weapon" in disguise, to begin with. It's his campaign after all, so he makes the rules. And, if he were really mean and feeling nasty about it , he would actually let you spend the feats and even weedle that ultra-rare sword out of him (for some other crippling concessions - it justabout stretches the resources of a first level char, just ever so slightly ) , then nail you with it. Say, by having you meet up with another guy built on the same premises as you are - and having him chop you up.... Or having that ultra-rare sword damaged, cursed or even destroyed - and it being something incredibly rare, making it very hard for you to regain/reforge etc one.

As general advice : Chill down some - nothing is going to be resolved by pixxxing him off, or vice versa, and the fun of everyone else at the table suffers/will suffer as well. Competetive spirit is nice and fine at times, but taken to the extremes, it only ruins the game. If you cannot/want not to chill over it, parting ways may be the only alternative.

Last edited:

Henrix

Explorer
But Powerful build specifically states that you do not get the reach of a large monster. (At least in XPH, my Races of Stone is in the hands of one of my players.)

You can, though, use a weapon made for a size larger than your own, i.e. a large one-handed or two-handed sword.
And you get to add +4 to your break object rolls, as we discovered the last time one of my player's half-giant (XPH) started bashing in doors!

And I don't think Monkey Grip does anything for a character with powerful build. Both state that you can use weapons for creatures one size larger than you are, and a powerfully built halg-giant/goliath is still a medium sized creature.

italianranma

First Post
As general advice : Chill down some
I AM CALM!!! :)
I as GM would certainly not allow this build altogether because it would appear to me as a maximise-combo rather than a nice charakterplay orientated selection of feats.
Just my twocent though...
You're perfectly right in your own opinion. Same to the person who wrote about this not fitting in the FR setting. But really it depends on why you come to the table to have fun, we can all agree on that right? Different strokes for different folks. Some people are all about a story, or about how their character's action affect a larger scale. And then some people enjoy combat. That would be me. I read the wheel of time for a story, and character progression to me means making it to level 20. I am a powergamer. Is there something wrong with that? I know powergamers get a lot of flak on this forum, but isn't powergaming a resonable way to play D&D. I would say that the answer to that is does the group get along with that? I know I can't really say why everyone else is at the table, but we all are having fun and enjoying ourselves. We (the group) have had a problem with the DM's latest adventure, interestingly enough it's a published one. The DM recognized this and is correcting it. End of story. Where was I going with this...Oh yeah! If as a GM you don't like a feat combo or something it's your call as to whether or not you'll let it fly at your table. My pet peeve is Tasha's Hideous Laughter, so I've nurfed it at my table. Yes a core spell that is clearly spelled out in the PHB is house-ruled at my table.

As far as Power level goes in FR, there are plenty of other powerhouse combos. Ever look at the iconic heroes? They do some pretty wild stuff in those novels. And wielding a giant sword isn't something that's limited to Manga. My suspision is that the DM said no because of personally reasons, but that's only my guess. He could've because of story/other reasons too, and I wouldn't put him passed it. My intention when posting this build was to see if it was valid enough that I could play it in other settings, possibly RPGA (I need to look a little more about their rules though) If there was an intrinsic problem with the combo that would be it, end of story.

As for his assumption, that EWP-Bastard sword and EWP-heavy weapons ... might not be stacking, it sounds rather like a house rule/GM's call, but that is within his rights as well. EDIT : besides them doing very similar things (allowing the user to wield an oversized weapon one-handedly) and being from different editions (read: EWP-heavy, never a core rule was written long before anyone even thought of Monkey Grip). I can actually understand him deciding that the two EWPs were doing almost exactly the same thing and hence not stacking - the normal bastard sword being a "heavy weapon" in disguise, to begin with.
It's good logic, I could also see it this way. But on the flip side the rules aren't always based on logic are they? My contention with the "logic ruling" is when do you apply it? How far does logic go? My single biggest problem with the DM is when and how he makes logic calls. For example we were fighting on a steep slope against large beasts. The DM gave me a penalty for shooting a bow on a steep slope. His logic was "you need to plant your feet to draw a bow and use it effectively" my logic back was "It's a short bow; I can fire it sitting down." He wanted a penelty because he thought it would make combat more interesting (instead of looking up the rules on climbing, which would've meant that I couldn't use anything two handed, but neither of us knew, and he didn't want to slow up game time with argueing). On the same hand he had an NPC character fire out at us from a magically speed enhanced wagon over rough terrian, and assessed no penelty to the shooter. So where does this get us with the oversized sword? When do you apply logic, and when do you sit back and let the rules take care of it for you?

Thanee

First Post
uzagi_akimbo said:
Monkey Grip does not allow use of large weapons in the off-hand though

So, I guess, I should have read the feat description first (was just going by stuff in this thread)... :D

Bye
Thanee

FireLance

Legend
Piratecat said:
A buddy of mine is eyeing the +1 ECL goliath race in Races of Stone. They have "powerful build," which means that other than a 10' reach they're treated as Large when it's advantageous for them. It's occurred to him that this means he can weild a large weapon in one hand or a huge weapon in two hands.
Of course, the ultimate one-handed damage dealer would be an ECL 8 half-giant Psychic Warrior 7 with powerful build (may use Large weapons), monkey gripping a Huge bastard sword made out of a heavy material (damage as Gargantuan bastard sword) using the Expansion power (damage as Colossal bastard sword), augmented with 6 pp to grow two sizes (here is where the rules give up. I suggest using the unarmed damage of a 16th-level Colossal monk as the base damage for a 16th-level monk is 2d8, the same as that of a Large bastard sword). I don't have the DMG with me. How much damage is that?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases