Anything wrong with this build (other than the DM said no)

italianranma

First Post
I was messing around with some character concepts when I found this combo of feats:
EWP (Bastard Sword)
Monkey Grip
EWP (heavy weapons) (from Magic of Faerun)
The Monkey grip allows you to hold a large sized version in the same way you hold the regular sized version, or in this case a Large Bastard Sword as a 1-handed weapon.
The EWP (heavy weapon) allows you to hold weapons made of magically treated gold or platinium weapons (considered to do the damage of one size catagory larger) without penelty.
So if you're holding a Heavy Large Bastard Sword in one hand you should be doing 3d8 + 1 (because of at least 13 STR) in one hand. Right?
Guys?
You with me?

Kyrail

First Post
At what penalty? Monkey grip is still a -2 right?

Personally I wouldn't give anyone monkey grip... just because it's silly.

Sue Bloodbucket

First Post
Jeah!
I'm down with you!
Perhaps you can also convince your GM into having tashas hidious laughter cast as a free action as well on all enemys (given that they don't lack vision) when you first draw your shiny thing in battle :cool:

yours
Sue

italianranma

First Post
yeah, with this build I'm at -2 with monkey grip, +1 for it being masterwork (because all heavy weapons are masterwork), and at least +1 for having to have a 13 str. And anyway THL is way overpowered, but on the same hand dealing this much damage and having a shield is cool too. Of course even though you could theoretically have this as a 1st level ftr, the weapon alone costs upwards of 7350gp. And guys, you don't have to make fun of something on these forums, just answer the question of whether or not it's permissable by 3.5 rules.

Kyrail

First Post
Sue Bloodbucket said:
Jeah!
I'm down with you!
Perhaps you can also convince your GM into having tashas hidious laughter cast as a free action as well on all enemys (given that they don't lack vision) when you first draw your shiny thing in battle :cool:

yours
Sue

Well it's not that over powered, three feats for 2d8 more damage... its pretty twinky, but its not bad. I just think from a flavor stand point it would be pretty silly looking.

Thanee

First Post
italianranma said:
...just answer the question of whether or not it's permissable by 3.5 rules.

It certainly would be, unless your DM said no, then it would not be permissable.

It's absolutely within his rights as DM to disallow strange stuff like that.

Bye
Thanee

dcollins

Explorer
It also assumes that feats from "Complete Warrior" and "Magic of Faerun" are allowed in the campaign. Not all campaigns will use those, especially the latter (the idea that gold/platinum weapons give more damage is quite Faerun-specific).

argo

First Post
italianranma said:
just answer the question of whether or not it's permissable by 3.5 rules.
Please note that neither Monkey Grip nor EWP[heavy weapons] is core 3.5 rules. Fruthermore Monkey Grip is one of the most frequently disalowed of the splat book feats. I'm not at all suprised your DM turned you down.

Beyond that though your intrepretation of the rules is quite correct. Three feats and a butload of cash buys you a one-handed weapon that does 3d8 + Str. Would have been an impressive sight to see too.

Thanee

First Post
Why did your DM disallow it? Did you ask him about that?

Too powerful?

Didn't like the flavor?

Or did he say, that it is not working according to his understanding of the rules?

Bye
Thanee

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
This is a case of a "legal" build from a multitude of sources that the DM doesn't find pleasing in his mind.

I would check with the DM over source books allowed but I think this is a case of building mechanics first & character second, ime that is the wrong way around.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases