Need someone to check my dice probability results

physicscarp

Explorer
Here is the situation:

In the game we are playing, characters may have a skill rank ranging from 1 to 20 (n), and to suceed at a task, the player must roll at or below his skill rank on a d20. Therefore the chance of success (S) for an event is S = n/20.

Now, during the game, a player may spend a hero point to either...
1) add +4 to his original skill level or
2) reroll a failed roll

I'm wondering at what skill rank does it become more beneficial to reroll rather than bump the skill rank. Here's what I have worked out, but I'm hoping someone can confirm this for me.

For case 1 (bumping the rank by 4), the probability of succeeding becomes S = (n+4)/20.

Case 2 is where I am having trouble. Do I treat these events as independent? It doesn't seem like I should. I arranged the results in a sample space and come up with 400 possible results. To find the number of results that would give a success, I found this relationship, n(40-n), so therefore the chance of success would be S = (n(40-n))/400. Using this I get the following results...

(Rank/% Chance to Succeed Using Reroll)
1/9.75
2/19
3/27.75
4/36...

Comparing this to the results from case 1, it seems that once you have acheived rank 6 or higher it is more beneficial to reroll.

Does this make sense to any stats monkeys among us? Thanks for any help you can provide.

lior_shapira

Explorer
Here's my shot at this (hope I'm right and dont embaress myself)

Chances of success in case A: (n+4)/20

Changes of success in case B: n/20+(20-n)/20*n/20 which means that you either succeed on your first roll or fail and roll a second time
so if we develop this a bit we get... n/10-(n/20)^2

now lets just look at the equation:
(n+4)/20 - [n/10-(n/20)^2] = 0
and if we look for max/min points ...
n^2-20n+80=0 ==> max/min points at ~5.5 and ~14.5

So a quick test shows that case B is better with skill ranks between 5.5 and 14.5 while case A is better otherwise

did this really fast so I hope i'm not horribly wrong, if I am dont shoot me please :)

Thanee

First Post
Chance of success with reroll is P=1-(1-n/20)²
Chance of success with +4 bonus is Q=(n+4)/20

Now you can just calculate those for n=1..20 and look at the results. :)

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases