What exactly makes Math hard to some people?

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Well, I am doing my math homework and I began to ponder this, what exactly DOES make math hard to some people and easy to tohers. I almost always also hear of math and Science lumped together, which does make sense, but I am generally good at Science, while I suck at math. Well more so I can understand the concepts in Science, but suck at the math in it. Sooo, what does determine if someone is good at math or not?

Last edited:

der_kluge

Adventurer
I don't know. Looks pretty simple to me.

equation.gif

Why do people have a knack for stuff, and not other stuff? I don't think there's an easy explanation (except maybe that it's gene-related). Some people are good at math. Some people can burp the alphabet. Some people have no problem making friends.

One thing I might add, regarding math, that I've noticed: some people, when confronted with a math problem (whatever it is) simply "freeze up", and don't / can't even make the effort. Math, to them, is totally alien (I'm sure there are other topics that are alien to other people).

AR

Storyteller01

First Post
Howard Gardener came up with a theory that the mind is made up of multiple intelligences working together (spatial, kinesic, Math, music, language, etc). The dominant or more developed intelligences are the aspects in life your good at, or some such. It similar to people having a dominant side (right vs left handed) or dominant sense (some folks are visual, some like to touch, some rely on hearing).

I guess is how the whole mixes together...

Last edited:

Piratecat said:
Please let me be the first to kick you in the junk and take your wallet.
Can I be second?

Ugh, I just plain don't like math. Back when I was in high school(alright, only a year ago, but that feels nice to say) I remember that most of the art students were also the kids who just plain didn't do well with math. Something to do with us being slightly crazy/abstract thinking. We asked too many 'why' questions. :)

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Altamont Ravenard said:
.One thing I might add, regarding math, that I've noticed: some people, when confronted with a math problem (whatever it is) simply "freeze up", and don't / can't even make the effort. Math, to them, is totally alien (I'm sure there are other topics that are alien to other people).

Thats what happens to me. I can sometimes do math if I need to in real life, but on a math test I cant do it at all. heh, I also suck at foreign languages, but I think anyone who read my "Jealousy" thread knows that. I am very good at anything having to do with Literature though. :)

Last edited:

Scribble

First Post
doesn't it have something to do with what brain side you are? :p

Anyway I know match bugs me because I always miss little things like commas and decimals and stuff... I'll think I did it perfect but then I find out I missed a . somewhere... Stupid math.

I keep fighting it, but it keeps winning. :(

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Scribble said:
doesn't it have something to do with what brain side you are? :p

Anyway I know match bugs me because I always miss little things like commas and decimals and stuff... I'll think I did it perfect but then I find out I missed a . somewhere... Stupid math.

I keep fighting it, but it keeps winning. :(

Yep, I have found that most everything I do in any academic endeavor is wrong. So keep trying, at least you know you are better at something than someone. :)

Last edited:

Galeros said:
Yep, I have found that most everything I do in any academic endeavor is wrong. So keep trying, at least you know you are better at something than someone. :)
That's dangerous logic, though. It means that someone in this world is better than everyone else at being worse at EVERYTHING. What if you end up being that person?! Dangerous thinking...dangerous... ;)

Remove ads