Fey dancer, Need help with a PrC, please.

Ferret

Explorer
This is an old idea that didn't get finished, I've added, changed and removed things to improve it. My main concern is making it middle heavy (if such a thing exist), For instance I did have a big gap just before the last ability that filled, and to stop it being just filler (in the sense of power not flavour) I made it unlimited..... Bad idea? Does that happen anywhere else?

Fey Dancer

“There’s some places that’re thinner than others” She walked closer to the ring…the ring of stones. What did her mam’ call it? The dancers? It didn’t matter something was calling to her. ”Where the old door ways used to be” And when they called she felt something swell inside her. Not far till she could touch them. Like an urge, like nothing would stop her dancing, no, not would; could. “Places where the world was thinner.” She touched it. That was what the world was about; nothing else. And she began to dance. “If people’ve been hangin’ around the stones, then they’ll be back.

The old doors. They exist. Perhaps only to some though. When those few find them, the old gates find those few.

Hit Dice-D8/level

Requirements
--Skill ranks: Perform: dance +6
--Special: Must have the resist natures lure ability.
--Special: Must dance around a stone circle, fey mound or with fey on a full moon

CLASS SKILLS:
--Skill Points per level: 4 (+Intelligence modifier)

-- The Fey Dancer’s class skills are Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and Swim (Str).

Base-attack .. Refl/Fort /Will .. Special
1st +0 .... +2/+0/+2 .. Fey charm 1/day
2nd +1 .... +3/+0/+3 .. Charm 1/day
3rd +2 .... +3/+1/+3 .. Charm guardian (Fey helpful), Charm expertise
4th +3 .... +4/+1/+4 .. Fey charm 2/day, Silent step (Bonus to MS, or silence movement through woodlands)
5th +3 .... +4/+1/+4 .. Dance (Call fey), Charm 2/day
6th +4 .... +5/+2/+5 .. Leadership (Gain fey as cohort)
7th +5 .... +5/+2/+5 .. Fey charm 3/day
8th +6 .... +6/+2/+6 .. Sanctuary (Rest in the woods in peace)
9th +6 .... +6/+3/+6 ..
10th +7 .... +7/+3/+7 .. Ley walker (Teleportation and more), Fey charm 3/day

As a side note does anyone some good literature/myths on the Lords and Ladies?

Most are self explanitory or have explainations added.... I want it to have equal portions of "Elegant charming fey" and "Dryad, nature fairies". Any advice or ideas?

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
Um, a little explanation of the abilities would be kinda helpful. Not sure what some are supposed to do aside from the obvious ones (Charm, Charm Fey, etc.). I might move Leadership up to 9th-level (some fey have a lot of spell-like abilities useable at will that could be potent to have available all the time through a cohort), and move either Charm Expertise, Charm Guardian, or Silent Step to 6th-level. I'm not really sure what the point or flavor of the class is supposed to be though besides charming fey....so can't really suggest anything more specific or useful.

nonamazing

Explorer
Neat class idea. I think I recognize your source material. It seems well balanced to me (I'm guessing that the unlimited teleportation only works via fairy circles, i.e. from one circle to another--if not, it may need some tweaking to keep it from being overpowered). It feels as though Diplomacy should be added to the class skill list, to complete the idea of a charming, manipulative fay.

Does the class offer spellcasting levels? If not, most druids probably won't be too interested in it. Although if you do add spellcasting levels, those saving throws seem an eensy bit too good...you might want to max it out at +6/+3/+6. If the Dance special ability works like a summon monster spell, you'll probably want to limit it to once/day (possibly bringing it up to twice/day at 10th level), or give it another special limitation (perhaps it can only be used at fairy circle, or perhaps the character has to negotiate with the fey every time she calls them, with the fey always demanding a price for their assistance). Are the Fey Charm and Charm spell-like abilites or extraordinary abilities? Do they act like charm person or do they just add a bonus to the character's Cha-based skills? If they do act like charm person, exactly what sorts of creatures can the abilities affect? (Obviously the Fey Charm ability would work on fey, but is the Charm ability just charm person or is it charm monster or even mass charm?) A neat option would be to give the character charm person 1/day at second level, charm monster 1/day at fifth level, and mass charm 1/day at ninth level (thus filling in that 'empty' 9th level slot). The leadership ability at sixth level is quite nice, and adds a neat bit of flavor, but you might want to consider swapping it with the sanctuary ability at eighth level (after all, it seems that as the fey come to trust the character, they would first allow her to rest safely in their protected domains before they would offer up one of their own people to serve her). I'm assuming that the sanctuary ability means that the character can camp safely overnight in wilderness areas without triggering random encounters or being found by foes tracking them (but that it wouldn't help the character escape exixsting danger, i.e. they couldn't use it in the middle of an encounter to escape safely).

I'm not sure what the Charm Expertise ability does. I'm guessing that it's something along the lines of a increase to the DC's of saving throws versus the character's charm spells (probably a +2). If that's the case, you may want to consider switching it to fourth level, and making Silent Step a third level ability. You might also add an Improved Charm Expertise at eight level, giving a +4 to save DCs.

If the class is intended for spellcasters (I don't think it would be overpowered at all, although you might want to consider dropping the hit dice to a d6), you may want to add an extra ability at first level that adds some charm spells to the caster's spell list (druids and rangers, the characters who would be most interested in the class, don't have any charm spells other than charm animal). You could replace the Charm special ability with some other ability that adds an enchantment spell to the caster's spell list (this would also make the class more attractive to some sorcerers and bards).

As far as other source material goes...try the comic series Fables as well as some of the Sandman comics (the story about Shakespeare becoming involved with the faries as he writes A Midsummer Night's Dream is quite apt). Also take a look at the recently released Book of Ballads by Charles Vess (and others) which is full of old Irish ballads about the fairies (it has a really unique flavour to it).

Ferret

Explorer
1)late (this means short sentences sorry), 2)didn't look over PrC enough. Right on most things, Going over when i have ree time

Malimar

First Post
Hit dice

I like the concept.

The d8 per HD seems a little high. Bards can be expert dancers, but they don't get d8 HD.

- Malimar

Ferret

Explorer
I'm getting there, although I'm worried about the power level, I definatly couldn't add spell progression, and it might just be too overpower in all. Just as a teaser, I'm going to show the abilities table:

Base-attack .. Refl/Fort /Will .. Special
1st +0 .... +0/+0/+2 .. Lords and ladies
2nd +1 .... +0/+0/+3 .. Fey Lure, Woodland being
3rd +2 .... +1/+1/+3 .. Enchanter, Fey Sight
4th +3 .... +1/+1/+4 .. Silent step
5th +3 .... +1/+1/+4 .. Dance
6th +4 .... +2/+2/+5 .. Sanctuary
7th +5 .... +2/+2/+5 ..
8th +6 .... +2/+2/+6 .. Leadership
9th +6 .... +3/+3/+6 .. Walk the lines
10th +7 .... +3/+3/+7 .. Ley walker

I don't want a judge of powers, just to tease you.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases