[Scarred Lands] Got the Strange Lands book

Y.O.Morales

First Post
Well, I can't miss the chance to start a thread about a book that has just hit the stores (moderators, if this doesn't belong here, well, you already know what to do...)

-------------------------------------------------------------
Scarred Lands comes to an end with a darn good book. In a nutshell, Strange Lands expands the other regions of Scarn like the Dragon Lands, Asherak, and Fenrilik with campaign lore, prestige classes, races, spells, monsters, etc. What I most like, IMO, is that the book deals with regions barely played in campaigns or expanded by publishers (like deserts and frozen lands). And, however, there is an appendix with material for the setting in general (regardless of region).

So, if anyone have a question, then feel free to ask (but I truly recommend to buy it).

Knight Otu

First Post
I've got my books yesterday, and I'm quite happy with them (it's still sad to see the SL go away, though).

Starting off with the essays from Joseph Carriker, Ari Marmell and Andrew Bates about the end of the Scarred Lands, we first get a map and an overview on Asherak in the first chapter, including a few sidebars, such as on god-king stats. The first chapter continues with two races, wrack elves and the Ubantu we already know from the CC. We also get the humans by region variant rule. Concluding this chapter are four prestige classes, a craft skill, and feats.

Chapter two starts with equipment in Asherak, such as Ubantu poison and theurgic items (divine alchemy). Next are magic items, with rules for extraplanar creatures bound into weapons. Finishing the chapter, we get several spells and true rituals, with quite a number of necromantic spells.
The chapters on Asherak are the longest if you ignore the monster chapter.

The first chapter on the Dragon Lands (also called Tanaroth), similarly starts offf with an overview of history and the clans of the land. The Dragon Lands certainly have an oriental flavor (the clan rulers are even called shogun). The races introduced in this chapter are the tatsuri, who can be said to be dragontouched, and the Dragonland Kobolds. Finishing the chapter are several feats, many of them tied to one or two of the clans, and Totem feats.

The fourth chapter again starts off with mundane equipment (dragon mail and dragon blade, each in two weight classes), going on to magic items, including some tattoos. Finally, we get spells dealing with dragons, elementals, and other themes such as Time.

The Roof of the World is the first chapter to deal with Fenrilik. Again, we get an overview on history, religion and geography. After that, we get a new race, the winter gnomes, and a prestige class, the ice-walker. No feats this time around.

The sixth chapter again starts with equipment and magic items (along with a material - hardened ice) and a small number of spells, a few of which are updated from Warrens of the Ratmen.
Fenrilik definitely gets the least amount of space in the book, but considering how sparsely populated it is, it is not surprising.

Chapter seven introduces several creatures, sorted by the continent they appear on. I think all sizes and types can be found, ranging from the Fine (godfly swarm) to Colossal (special mention goes to the Fell Deer). Challenge Ratings seem to be a bit higher, with several in the above 15 area. There are three creatures above CR 20, Suvarros, the Undying Prince (CR 24), the sample nether dragon (CR 26), and the crawling glacier (CR 23). A creature that leapt out to me was the ice warden - it very much gets to the limits of the ooze type.
A number of unique creatures can of course be found in this chapter, as well. I already mentioned Suvarros. Others are the Dustwrack dragon and Gommog, a draconic ogre.

Finally we get to the appendix, starting off with material for familiars (including a table that clears up at which level you can take creatures from the CCs as Improved Familiars). The nextpart is artifacts and Divine and Defeated writeups for several demigods, including Jandaveos.
The next part is templates (including the ignan and rock goblin template), and the piradun, pale elf. Finally we get three prestige classes, one for casters who like familiars, the prodigalist, and the shadow-walker and the Zathiskan Binder.

The book isn't without errors, though. The table and the writeup of the Acolyte of the shell, for example, disagree on the levels where the natural armor and spells are gained. The eyethief daemon can use blindness as a spelllike ability, but it isn't said how often. The dragoneet has a note that it can be taken as an Improved Familiar, but no mention of the level this can happen. The skerrai's grapple bonus has not been added together, it is written out as an addition. But overall, I am happy with the book.

Voadam

Legend
There are a lot of monsters and some good basic templates. However I would have preferred a little more organization guide on the monsters, an index or CR chart or breakdown by type, having three continent chapters for them is a bit awkward for looking things up if you are not looking by terrain theme.

I couldn't find the wooly rhinoceros I wrote for the Fenrilik section, am I just missing it?

I was quite impressed by how quickly I got my author's copies. This was much quicker than either RRII or CCIII came. I wasn't even expecting this to be out until December and so comp copies to come a few months later.

Knight Otu

First Post
Voadam said:
There are a lot of monsters and some good basic templates. However I would have preferred a little more organization guide on the monsters, an index or CR chart or breakdown by type, having three continent chapters for them is a bit awkward for looking things up if you are not looking by terrain theme.
That was some ground for confusion for me as well. The first thing I wanted to look up was my contribution (vain, I know :p), and had trouble finding it at first.

I couldn't find the wooly rhinoceros I wrote for the Fenrilik section, am I just missing it?
I couldn't find a wooly rhino either. Wooly rhinos are shortly mentioned in the Fenrilik overview, but nowhere else. Was it your only contribution?

I wasn't even expecting this to be out until December and so comp copies to come a few months later.
Yeah, it was quite surprising to get that big pack - what, the book already? From what I heard about that, I didn't expect the copies to come here for at least a month.

Voadam

Legend
Knight Otu said:
That was some ground for confusion for me as well. The first thing I wanted to look up was my contribution (vain, I know :p), and had trouble finding it at first.

I couldn't find a wooly rhino either. Wooly rhinos are shortly mentioned in the Fenrilik overview, but nowhere else. Was it your only contribution?

No, I also had the king's hound in Asherak and snowstorm elemental in Fenrilik.

I think I've seen wooly rhinos in some other sourcebooks as well (after I had written mine though), TOHII I believe.

Trickstergod

First Post
Don't suppose a review might be forthcoming in the near future? As I've long since had my trust to blind-buy from the Scarred Lands konked over the head with one bad book too many and the last book, while tempting, has done nothing to revive it.

I'm sadly dreading giving it a read, though I've my hope for it.

Voadam said:

I was quite impressed by how quickly I got my author's copies. This was much quicker than either RRII or CCIII came. I wasn't even expecting this to be out until December and so comp copies to come a few months later.

Voadam, due to space reasons, a few monsters that originally made the cut had to be dropped at the last moment--including the wooly rhino. I sent out e-mails regarding those critters; I guess yours never arrived for some reason. :(

You have my sincere apologies. Obviously, I had no way of knowing you didn't get the e-mail, but still, as it was my section to develop, the buck stops with me. For what it's worth, we chose the wooly rhino as one of the ones to drop only because that same creature appeared in other books, not because there was anything wrong with it, or your write-up thereof.

Y.O.Morales

First Post
Knight Otu said:
Yeah, it was quite surprising to get that big pack - what, the book already? From what I heard about that, I didn't expect the copies to come here for at least a month.
Me too. And I recieved more copies than what was stated in the Agreement.
One for me, and the other two for my GM friends.

BTW, I contributed the 'valuga'. Had another monster that was nice and original, but I guess it didn't fit with the setting.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases