Magic Created Items

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
This thread is for ordinary items that are only possible through magic. They are not magical themselves, but it requires magic to make them. How the item is made is important, so be sure to include the procedure.

Nota Bene: Do not assume only the magics available in the books is available. If you must invent a new magic, go right ahead.

Sample Item:Glass Painting

This is not painting on glass, this is painting with glass.

Procedure: The working surface is a perfectly flat, perfectly level magical surface, bound by a frame, on which colored glass beads are spread. When the desired image has been created magic is used to 'blend' the beads together into a single pane of glass. How detailed the art is depends on the size of the beads, with very simple pictures using rather large beads, while very detailed images use rather small ones. An accomplished glass painter can do layering, shading, and other tricks.

When done and the glass has solidified the working surface is allowed to dissipate and the working frame is removed. After which the glass painting is prepared for exhibition.

Your examples?

Last edited:

Andre

First Post
This is a bit amoral, but what the heck...

1. Solicit various individuals to pose for "portraits".
2. Turn said individuals to stone (gorgons and medusas work well for this).
3. Use shrink item to reduce them to the proper size.
4. Use the miniatures created to manufacture detailed molds for chess pieces, book ends, toy soldiers, Vile Moments(tm) nicknacks, etc.
5. Use stone to flesh to restore originals.

In some societies, steps 4 and 5 are optional.

alsih2o

First Post
mythusmage said:
Sample Item:Glass Painting

This is not painting on glass, this is painting with glass.

This is actually called glass fusing or glass slumping, and is simply done with medieval technology. No magic required. :)

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Andre said:

4. Use the miniatures created to manufacture detailed molds for chess pieces, book ends, toy soldiers, Vile Moments(tm) nicknacks, etc.

You forgot a step, Re-enlarge said persons back to orginal size, or maybe you didn't mmmm. :]

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
alsih2o said:
This is actually called glass fusing or glass slumping, and is simply done with medieval technology. No magic required. :)

I think we're talking about two different things here. But before I make any definitive statements, could you provide some information on glass fusing?

In any case, the magic I speak of acts to 'meld' the beads together without using heat. By this means 'smearing' due to the flow of molten glass is eliminated. It also keeps the glass cool so it doesn't expand and overflow or break the frame. It allows for finer detail (with the right sized beads) than molten glass would.

alsih2o

First Post
mythusmage said:
I think we're talking about two different things here. But before I make any definitive statements, could you provide some information on glass fusing?

In any case, the magic I speak of acts to 'meld' the beads together without using heat. By this means 'smearing' due to the flow of molten glass is eliminated. It also keeps the glass cool so it doesn't expand and overflow or break the frame. It allows for finer detail (with the right sized beads) than molten glass would.

Glass fusing is fusing (sorry, struggled for a different word there) glasses of different colors together without ever getting them hot wnough to go liquid. Just the barest outer surface of each slab or bead becomes tacky, thus making them stick together.

It can be done flat or in bowls. The smearing never takes place because the glass doesn't become hot enough to flow. :)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Andre said:

I like this idea but in general (assuming that I'm gonna chuck morality out the window anyway), I'd rather just Shrink them without the stoning and tell them they must fight each other to the death or I will squish them underfoot! Plus that way you get the "Liliputians band together to overthrow their great big oppressor" scene, which is always a hoot.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
alsih2o said:
Glass fusing is fusing (sorry, struggled for a different word there) glasses of different colors together without ever getting them hot wnough to go liquid. Just the barest outer surface of each slab or bead becomes tacky, thus making them stick together.

It can be done flat or in bowls. The smearing never takes place because the glass doesn't become hot enough to flow. :)

Ah, I did not know that.

Now, does this produce a single piece of glass, or many pieces of glass joined together by sutures? How small can the pieces be?

Last edited:

Delemental

First Post
Enervated Wood

Timber that has been exposed to negative energy. The resulting wood is resistant to disease, rot and termites (as all of the 'life energy' has been depleted from the wood, making it unsuitable to support other life or growth). The only side effect of the process is that the wood, regardless of its original species, turns a uniform flat gray, which is not easily covered or altered by paints, stains, lacquers, or other surface treatments.

Kemrain

First Post
Transmutation is awsome.

Use a Stoneshape-like spell to give any object touched the consistancy of clay for the duration fo the spell. This way, you can mold glass, or rock, easily. The truely interesting art, however, is made by hand sculpting steel or precious metals at room temparature. Smelting objects together becomes tremendously easy. The only difficulty comes in trying to keep the structural integrity of the material once it's properties return to normal. A great way to make intricate things out of hard things. Don't cut gems, mold them! Can you see diamonds and a Play-Doh Spaghetti playset?

- Kemrian the Odd.

Remove ads