Magic Item Creator

Troll Wizard

First Post
The attached file is an excel spreadsheet that allows you to create scrolls, wands, staves, potions, weapons, and armor/shield per D&D 3.5 rule set. It includes a "limited" wondrous item creator. This alpha version is still in need of additional work, but I believe it has enough functionality that people can at least get some usefulness from it.

The wondrous item creator allows you to create the more basic wondrous item. I did add a custom "spell" ability section, allowing you to create custom spell abilities. Though please be forewarned that this function is rather limited and by no means replaces a player's and DM perspective on what is balanced for a wondrous item. IMO spells of "instanteous" duration should not be made into wondrous items with use-activated and continuous activation methods. This would avoid problems with True Strike, Cure Light Wounds, and many other spells being applied to use-activated and continuous magical items.

Update August 26, 2005
Well it’s been a while since I worked on this but I finally managed to get motivated to get something edited and revised.

All the edits/revisions/changes are in the wondrous item creator sheet.
  • Instead of one save, one AC, and one ability enhancement option now you can select up to 4 buffs from a long list of options in any kind of combination you wish
  • Instead of 2 skills now you can select up to 4 skills
  • I tweaked the custom ability creator a bit, not perfect - it really needs some more flexibility and definitely some kind of explanation in its proper use.

There is definitely room for improvement, but for the simple stuff it should work fine. Eventually I want to be able to pull in a magical sword (or armor) into the wondrous item and place secondary magical abilities on top of any existing +# enhancements... perhaps for the next version.
For the next version I believe I will "try" to finish creating a page where users can add their own special buffs, which automatically show up in the list of options. I did attempt it within this version but unless you are familiar with Excel spreadsheets you can mess up the vlookup commands and therefore the equations.

Anyway enjoy, feedback is always welcomed and appreciated.

If you are interested D/L and review it, check it for any errors with the rules. As always with magic items the DM has the final say on availability and price. I am hopeful this will be a beneficial aid to DM and players.

Joe

Last edited:

silvermane

Explorer
Why are all monetary values displayed in British pounds?

For some reason, the "Bane" drop-down list only goes to "Humanoids, goblinoid".

Troll Wizard

First Post
silvermane said:
Why are all monetary values displayed in British pounds?

For some reason, the "Bane" drop-down list only goes to "Humanoids, goblinoid".

Got rid of the british pound symbols and just went with plain numbers. Fixed the 'bane" drop-down list. Revised file is in the first post.

silvermane

Explorer
It would be more user-friendly to display descriptive text stating that the assorted weapon modifiers have exceeded +10, instead of #ARG!, which looks ugly.

Troll Wizard

First Post
Magical Armor/Shield Item Creation Added

silvermane said:
It would be more user-friendly to display descriptive text stating that the assorted weapon modifiers have exceeded +10, instead of #ARG!, which looks ugly.

Done, actually it had it said "Not valid weapon" or something simliar, but you couldn't read it in the small box. So I moved the warning to the right and merged several cells to make larger. Still need to perhaps fix those other equations that run off that box, but for now the warning should be clear enough.
Fixed a couple of other errors

v3 d/l in my first post now includes the beta version for armor/shield creator.

Troll Wizard

First Post
Updated with v6 that includes additional work to the wondrous item creator

The file is an excel spreadsheet (zipped) that allows you to create scrolls, wands, staves, potions, weapons, and armor/shield per D&D 3.5 rule set. It now includes a slightly more versatile wondrous item creator (as of 3-17-05). This version is still in need of additional work, but I believe it has enough functionality that people can at least get some usefulness from it.

The wondrous item creator allows you to create the more basic wondrous item. It also includes a custom "spell" ability section, allowing you to create custom spell abilities. Though please be forewarned that this function is still limited and by no means replaces a player's and DM perspective on what is balanced for a wondrous item. IMO spells of "instanteous" duration should not be made into wondrous items with use-activated and continuous activation methods. This would avoid problems with "continuous" - True Strike, Cure Light Wounds, and many other spells being applied to use-activated and continuous magical items.

If you are interested D/L and review it, check it for any errors with the rules. As always with magic items the DM has the final say on availability and price. I am hopeful this will be a beneficial aid to DM and players.

Joe

Last edited:

Raddu

Explorer
Great application!

Troll Wizard, this excel sheet is wonderful.

I haven't played with it extensively, but so far it is awesome!

I've found a couple of possible issues.

In the Melee Weapon dropdown list I don't see Sword, Long...

Also, on the Armor Worksheet, just like you have each Spell Resistance as a separate entry, you should have Bashing (+1), Bashing (+2), etc.

Robert

Troll Wizard

First Post
Raddu said:
Troll Wizard, this excel sheet is wonderful.

I haven't played with it extensively, but so far it is awesome!

I've found a couple of possible issues.

In the Melee Weapon dropdown list I don't see Sword, Long...

Also, on the Armor Worksheet, just like you have each Spell Resistance as a separate entry, you should have Bashing (+1), Bashing (+2), etc.

Robert

Updated to v5, see my first post above.

Added Sword, Long... quite a few were missing, even some in the missile weapons table.

On the armor sheet I added the missing shield abilities (including Bash), I pretty much had to add a bunch of abliites and edit the existing entries. I am not sure to leave the Armor/Shield builder combined as is or separate them into an "armor builder" and "shield builder".

I don't see Bashing (+1) or Bashing (+2) in the DMG or SRD, the Bashing ability just bumps the damage size category of a light/heavy shield by two sizes.

Thanks for the feedback.

Remove ads