Does Combat Expertise lower my 'opposed attack roll' for disarm?

If I'm using combat expertise to up my AC, and someone tries to disarm me, do I keep the penalty on my opposed attack roll? What about two-weapon fighting's penalty?

I'm running a play by post, and either I get a +20 to resist being disarmed, or a +11. Pretty big difference.

Kelleris

Explorer
Technically, yes. It's an attack roll and the attack roll penalties last for one full round after you accept them. However, it's just weird that Combat Expertise would make you easier to disarm. If this came up in one of my games, I'd either ignore the penalty or actually use the Expertise bonus as a bonus to the attack roll to resist (and only to resist) being disarmed.

Power Attack, though, that's gonna hurt you.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I agree with Kelleris; the penalties from Combat Expertise shouldn't affect the roll to keep from being disarmed, and PA should make it ewasier to be disarmed.

JackGiantkiller

First Post
Two weapon fighting penalties should apply, certainly, as it is more difficult to concentrate on holding on to two weapons at once, and you only have one hand to do it with per weapon...especially bad if its your offhand. Fighting defensively? No way. Its harder to disarm someone being careful, not easier. I'd give a bonus rather than penalty as the was suggested above for Combat Expertise. (Especially as Combat Expertise is a pre-req for improved disarm...)

Thanee

First Post
Hmm... does the TWF penalty even apply for the whole round, or only for your attacks during your turn?

Fighting Defensively would be the same as Combat Expertise for the same reasons, obviously. :)

Bye
Thanee

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I'd say that fighting defensively shouldn't apply the penalty to resisting a disarm, but TWF should. I'm basing this off gut feeling, not RAW, so you know.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases