What are the dimensions of a poker chip?

reveal

Adventurer
Silly question but I'm actually serious. :)

I found a pretty cool gaming supplement from Alea Tools.

http://www.aleatools.com/Product.aspx?sm=pds

Basically, they're magnetic bases you can put on the bottom of your minis to designate how hurt the character is, what spell they have cast on them, etc.

Pretty neat idea but kinda pricey ($20+S&H for 27 bases; not that bad a deal). So I was thinking of using something else, like poker chips for example. But are they too big? We use mats with 1" squares. Is there anything else that can be substituted for something like this?

Depends on the poker chip.

This is pretty close to a standard one:

black_poker_chip.jpg

DanMcS

Explorer
Yeah, they're more than 1" diameter, because we use them to mark area-effect spells and one chip usually covers 4 squares pretty well when we place it on the line intersection. They're probably 1.25" to 1.5" diameter.

reveal

Adventurer
Hmmmm... Well there goes that idea. ;)

Any suggestions on what to use to mark something like this? Or does someone already use something for this very purpose?

DanMcS

Explorer
Depends on how elaborate you want to get, I guess. It seems like you could cut up construction paper to get the same effect if you wanted to.

reveal

Adventurer
DanMcS said:
Depends on how elaborate you want to get, I guess. It seems like you could cut up construction paper to get the same effect if you wanted to.

*sigh* Why is it the simplest things always seem to escape me? ;)

Great idea!

Bleys

First Post
You could head to your local craft supply store and get sheets of foam or plasticard, and then cut your own out of it.

Granted, the plasticard will probably be a bit of a pain, but you might be able to use something along the lines of a cookie cutter for the foam, especially if you can find the foam in different colors.

Mystery Man

First Post
Any suggestions on what to use to mark something like this?
At Dragons Lair on the back wall with all of their Warhammer stuff they should have a bag of mini bases that are blank. You could paint those different colors for different effects. At least they were there the last time I looked. Good luck.

frankthedm

First Post
Metal washers can usually be bought cheaply in sizes from 1/2 an inch to 2 inches, just bring a ruler with.

Next, spray paint the washers.

Poker chips make nice bases for ogres and such.

Andre

First Post
I use the chips included with Axis and Allies. They're the perfect size to place under a miniature. Red is used for a negative effect (blinded, fatigued, held, etc.) and white for something positive (invisible, hasted, etc). Works very well, though I wish I could find chips in this size in more colors.

BTW - using chips like this is an excellent way to remind players who use bless, prayer and other such spells, but constantly forget to count the bonuses, or forget who was in the area effect when it was cast.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases