What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

Defender (Lvl 8)

Ignore Cyronax
    My communities:

Babylonian/Judeo-Christian Mythology

Does anybody know any good gaming sites or just informational sites that have a detailed lay out of the traditional Babylonian and Judeo-Christian (i.e. spiritual warfare b/tw angels and demons) mythologies?

I already have the Manual of the Planes, which give me a lot of info on the Lords of Nine and stuff like that.

C.I.D.

WotC's bitch COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Scout (Lvl 6)

Ignore hong
    My communities:

Re: Babylonian/Judeo-Christian Mythology

Originally posted by Cyronax
    Does anybody know any good gaming sites or just informational sites that have a detailed lay out of the traditional Babylonian and Judeo-Christian (i.e. spiritual warfare b/tw angels and demons) mythologies?

I already have the Manual of the Planes, which give me a lot of info on the Lords of Nine and stuff like that.

C.I.D.
    http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/kjv.browse.html

Defender (Lvl 8)

Ignore Cyronax
    My communities:

Heh, that link might prove a bit too detailed! Good suggestion though.....

And people say D&D discourage religion ,
    C.I.D.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore A2Z
    The Encyclopedia Mythica has some information on Judaic mythology here. And Babylonian here. They also have information on Persian and Islamic mythology, which might prove usefull too. All in all a pretty good site and easy to use.
    "Everyone's always in favour of saving Hitler's brain. But when you put it in the body of a great white shark, ooohh! Suddenly you've gone too far!"

- Futurama

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore cybernetic
    I'm working on a book for Cybernetic Sorcery Studios called Dark Revelations that deals with a divine war between angels and demons amongst other things.... check out the announcement ....

Cybernetic Sorcery Studios Announcement

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore R.X.DIEM
    I don't know why I feel this way
    I don't know if it's right or wrong to laugh at misfortune,
    Darkness can never last too long...
    When you laugh in its face ....O.B.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore The Traveler

Re: Babylonian/Judeo-Christian Mythology

Originally posted by Cyronax
    You're thinking of Zoroastrianism, not the Babylonian mythology. The Babylonians were polytheists whose pantheon was to the Sumerian pantheon what the Roman pantheon was to the Greek. Ergo, you'd want to search for Persian myth instead.

Defender (Lvl 8)

Ignore Cyronax
    My communities:

Re: Re: Babylonian/Judeo-Christian Mythology

Originally posted by The Traveler
    You're thinking of Zoroastrianism, not the Babylonian mythology. The Babylonians were polytheists whose pantheon was to the Sumerian pantheon what the Roman pantheon was to the Greek. Ergo, you'd want to search for Persian myth instead.
    Traveler, I'm well aware of Zorastrianism, but I was thinking of what I said I wanted: The Babylonian/Chaldean/Persian mythos + any pre monotheistic Judeo-Christian Myth. I'm not that familiar with the names of pre J-C Myth's deities, but I know that there were other tribal gods that the Jews worshiped. Yaweh was only one of many from what I've read.

But now that you mention it, I would welcome any suggested sites for Zoroastrianism as well, since that religion's good vs. evil ideology had a strong influence on the ancient Jewish and Christian religions.

What I really would like, however, is a fairly comprehensive list of anicent Babylonian gods' names and portfolios. Mythological stories are wanted as well. I have already found a number of them, but I would like to find more so that I can better refine the current mythos of my campaign world.

Thanks,
    C.I.D.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore The Traveler
    My bad. The way you couched it made it seem like you wanted more monotheistic, or at least dualistic religions.

Tiamat, of course, is Sumerian, being the consort of Marduk. They're the Uranus/Gaia pairing of Sumerian myth, and they were slain to form the world. Tiamat particularly became the Axis Mundi after she was slain.

Bahamut is also Sumerian, and shares a common root word with the Judeo-Christian beast Behemoth.

As A2Z said, The Encyclopedia Mythica is great one-stop shopping on the web for almost any myth, and is fully searchable.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore Samnell
    My communities:

This may be of help:

http://www.myths.com/pub/myths/sumer-faq.html

I know you're looking for Babylonian, but Sumerian is pretty much the same stuff.
    The purpose if good rules is to remove the necessity of GM fiat as much as is humanly possible.
    Rules are required for role-play for the same reason as they are required for combat: to replace the skills of the player with those of the character.

Currently Jerry Rowcroft Tao Lin in New Generation Legacy. Current Issue | OOC Thread | Character Sheet
    Formerly Mark McNamara in Mutants & Masterminds: Generation Legacy Current Issue | OOC Thread

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast