Babylonian/Judeo-Christian Mythology

Cyronax

Explorer
Does anybody know any good gaming sites or just informational sites that have a detailed lay out of the traditional Babylonian and Judeo-Christian (i.e. spiritual warfare b/tw angels and demons) mythologies?

I already have the Manual of the Planes, which give me a lot of info on the Lords of Nine and stuff like that.

C.I.D.

Cyronax

Explorer
Heh, that link might prove a bit too detailed! Good suggestion though.....

And people say D&D discourage religion :),
C.I.D.

The Traveler

First Post
Cyronax said:
Does anybody know any good gaming sites or just informational sites that have a detailed lay out of the traditional Babylonian and Judeo-Christian (i.e. spiritual warfare b/tw angels and demons) mythologies?
You're thinking of Zoroastrianism, not the Babylonian mythology. The Babylonians were polytheists whose pantheon was to the Sumerian pantheon what the Roman pantheon was to the Greek. Ergo, you'd want to search for Persian myth instead.

Cyronax

Explorer
Re: Re: Babylonian/Judeo-Christian Mythology

The Traveler said:
You're thinking of Zoroastrianism, not the Babylonian mythology. The Babylonians were polytheists whose pantheon was to the Sumerian pantheon what the Roman pantheon was to the Greek. Ergo, you'd want to search for Persian myth instead.

Traveler, I'm well aware of Zorastrianism, but I was thinking of what I said I wanted: The Babylonian/Chaldean/Persian mythos + any pre monotheistic Judeo-Christian Myth. I'm not that familiar with the names of pre J-C Myth's deities, but I know that there were other tribal gods that the Jews worshiped. Yaweh was only one of many from what I've read.

But now that you mention it, I would welcome any suggested sites for Zoroastrianism as well, since that religion's good vs. evil ideology had a strong influence on the ancient Jewish and Christian religions.

What I really would like, however, is a fairly comprehensive list of anicent Babylonian gods' names and portfolios. Mythological stories are wanted as well. I have already found a number of them, but I would like to find more so that I can better refine the current mythos of my campaign world.

Thanks,
C.I.D.

The Traveler

First Post
My bad. The way you couched it made it seem like you wanted more monotheistic, or at least dualistic religions.

Tiamat, of course, is Sumerian, being the consort of Marduk. They're the Uranus/Gaia pairing of Sumerian myth, and they were slain to form the world. Tiamat particularly became the Axis Mundi after she was slain.

Bahamut is also Sumerian, and shares a common root word with the Judeo-Christian beast Behemoth.

As A2Z said, The Encyclopedia Mythica is great one-stop shopping on the web for almost any myth, and is fully searchable.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases