Babylonian/Judeo-Christian Mythology

Cyronax

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Babylonian/Judeo-Christian Mythology

Wicht said:

In addition, I would be very much interested in seeing any "proof" that the Jews had other tribal Gods before worshiping Yaweh. (I do not dispute that they at times worshiped other gods, I would dispute the timeline) As far as I know there is only speculation based on an assumption that Genesis could not have been authored by Moses and is a later document. I have found however that such critical studies tend to me self relying and circular in their reasoning.

Actually I don't mean to start a religious argument but thought I would point out that your statement is actually a religious hot potato and perhaps you should be less dogmatic in how you assert things of this nature if you don't want to start a debate.

I'm surprised that my initial statement regarding the fact that the Jews worshiped Yaweh during a time when other gods were worshiped as well was considered controversial. I think I may have been imprecise with my initial wording.

What I meant to say was that I was under the impression that while the Jews worshiped Yaweh, other Semitic peoples were known to have worshiped other gods as well. Did I misuse the word "Jew?" If I did, then I apologize, and hope that Semitic is the more appropriate refinement. I'm not well versed in this area of mythology or religion if that was not obvious.

In that similar vein, is the term Semitic Mythology a better term than Judaic Myth as the Encyclopedia Mythica seems to use?

C.I.D.

Last edited:

Wicht

Hero
hong said:
That's your problem. I would suggest finding a basis for your beliefs that doesn't rely on empiricism.

Why?

Though empirical is not quite the word I would use as that implies observation which in the field of historical research is a little iffy. However as i want a faith grounded in truth not fantasy I fail to see why I should in matters of religion abandon my ability to reason and deduce. :)

Oh and what is Plonking? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

hong

WotC's bitch
Wicht said:

Because then you're less likely to stub your toe.

Though empirical is not quite the word I would use as that implies observation which in the field of historical research is a little iffy.

In that case, what are you complaining about?

However as i want a faith grounded in truth not fantasy I fail to see why I should in matters of religion abandon my ability to reason and deduce. :)

Are you talking about fantasy or reality here?

Oh and what is Plonking? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

Look it up.

Wicht

Hero
Cyronax said:
What I meant to say was that I was under the impression that while the Jews worshiped Yaweh, other Semitic peoples were known to have worshiped other gods as well. Did I misuse the word "Jew?" If I did, then I apologize, and hope that Semitic is the more appropriate refinement. I'm not well versed in this area of mythology or religion if was not obvious.

Yes - Semitic is a better phrase and less obnoxious to us fanatics ;) :p

The term Jew was a phrase apparently coined during the Babylonian captivity (circa 600 BC) and refered to the fact that most of these people were from the Kingdom of Judah and belonged to the tribe of Judah. Judah was one of 12 tribes, collectively refered to as Hebrews or Israelites. The Hebrews themselves belonged to the larger branch of the Semetic family (that is descendants of Shem).

And again, the controversy is not over whether even the Jews worshiped other gods (nobody argues they did not) but over whether their worship of Yahweh came before or after their days of idolatry.

Forlorn

First Post
Ok, I will just go on record as saying that, while I am an agnostic, I find the historical roots of christianity and its evolution fascinating. I have no problem, one way or another with anyones system of belief. If you believe in Christiany in its modern forms, thats fine, if you are Asatru, cool, if you are a fundamentalist wacko who refuses to debate and blindly follows the word of otherpeople without thinking on your own, hey thats your choice I just dont want to talk to you.

Having said that I recommend that everyone reading this thread check out Religious Tolerance.org. They treat all religions fairly and equally. After all, just as Christians get offended when you call their teachings a Myth, so do people who believe in the Norse Pantheon (Asatru).

A debate about the history and evolution of a religion doesnt have to get ugly, just realize that you may walk away agreeing to disagree.

(Edit: Fixed some spelling)

Last edited:

Wicht

Hero
Hmm, too plonk means one of two things according to my dictionary. Either it refers to Plunking (i.e. plucking a string) or it refers to cheap wine. Neither makes sense to me I am afraid. I guess you will have to elaborate Hong :)

In the meantime, I am not worried about stubbing my toes as 1) I regularly wear boots and 2) I try to do my research before making up my mind.

hong

WotC's bitch
Wicht said:
Hmm, too plonk means one of two things according to my dictionary. Either it refers to Plunking (i.e. plucking a string) or it refers to cheap wine. Neither makes sense to me I am afraid. I guess you will have to elaborate Hong :)

You're looking in the wrong place. Try again.

In the meantime, I am not worried about stubbing my toes as 1) I regularly wear boots and 2) I try to do my research before making up my mind.

Yeah, yeah. That's what they ALL say.

Wicht

Hero
What - plonking isn't found under the letter P?!?

And I do wear boots. Honest. Got them on right now. Black Leather with fancy stitched patterns on it (gotta learn the name of the pattern one of these days its the one thats on most western boots) and if you don't believe me just fly over here and I will show you.

Remove ads