The Dance of Souls

SlagMortar

First Post
"Well, it would be unfortunate if such were necessary, but I can see it may come to that."

Beamer thinks of a question to make them feel at ease. "Can you tell us more about these exquisite pieces of art? They sound fascinating, and a better description may aid us in tracking them down."

After receiving an answer from the previous question, "What else is known of these burglars? How did the artwork disappear? What are the perpetrator's names and descriptions?"

OOC: Given the artwork is magic, is there a chance that Beamer knows anything more about them with knowledge(arcana) +5?
Sounds good to wait for Rose Marie. I was already typing this, so feel free to delay in answering.

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
"Oh, indeed I can tell you more about the pieces that were in our possession. Seran a'Larat called the painting named Dance of Souls Despaired as his own - a nighttime landscape, with a varying number of spirits floating above it." Godo begins. Seran tosses in how his wife misses the painting, then Godo continues.
"In my possession was the Dance of Souls Perfect, a small silver disk capable of creating the illusion of up to five metallic dancers."

(Yep, you can get a Knowledge roll. I'll also give Sam a roll.)

(Beamer - Knowledge Arcane Roll 10+5=15)
[sblock]The Dance of Souls is a collection of art objects incorporating illusion magic, of unknown size, though many sources say that there are nine pieces. They supposedly were part of a dragon's hoard, but currently two are in the hand of excentric nobles- well, were in their hand - while the location of the others is unknown.[/sblock]
(Sam - Knowledge Arcane Roll 12+8=20)
[sblock]The Dance of Souls is a collection of art objects incorporating illusion magic, of unknown size, though many sources say that there are nine pieces. They supposedly were part of a dragon's hoard, but currently two are in the hand of collectors - well, were in their hand - while the location of the others is unknown.
A wild theory of some people says that the Dance of Souls may show additional powers if all pieces are together, but most sages dismiss this claim.[/sblock]

(OOC - I'll get to the second question later.)

Creamsteak

Explorer
Knight Otu said:
The nobles wince as they hear Gur say junk. "Please, the Dance of Soul is no 'junk.' It is a unique collection of art objects incorporating illusion magic." Godo then turns to Beamer. "Mister Glimmereye, if your optimistic appraisal of the thieves' actions does not happen to come to reality, I assure you that you are authorized to hasten their path southwards... that is, kill them if necessary."
Noticing Banion's slight reaction to the cash being talked about, Gur makes sure to recite his history of transactions:

"You know, on my last job, we were promised a lot of money. The guy bailed on us, and we havn't been able to track him down yet. I think he owes one of us something like four thousand gold pieces. All I wanted was pay for my time, a gold piece a day at most, but he stiffed us completely. I hear he may be here in Orussus, working in some lab somewhere. Sullivan's his name."

"Anyway, I don't care whether I get the money or not. Not that I don't deserve my fair share if there is a reward, but I'll deal with circumstances. Thing is, I hope that anyone involved in stakes this big is able to deal with it if things happen. People could get hurt. People could die. Money could be payed, owed, lost, or otherwise found. If you think this amount is too much, just think about the consequences. It'll never be enough, no-matter how much of a 'reward' there is for the risk. All that matters to me is the excitement."

After Gur has said his piece, he takes a look outside the room to see if the other halfling is coming.

Xaov

First Post
Having been silent up till this point, deciding what this could be about he walks in to the door.

"forgive my tardiness, I was merely preoccupied at the time. My name is Azaroth VanHaydren, perhaps you could tell me what this meeting is about?"

OOC: have read through the post so far will save you the explantion.

I see. Sounds Interesting. Well if you'd allow me I would be happy to lend my spells to your side.

"How many pieces of this set are there exactly?

And do any of the others have special properties like the two mentioned?"

Last edited:

Airwhale

First Post
Sam still looks slightly disoriented, as if he is looking at a book inside his head this time, instead of outside of it... Then, he suddenly snaps into focus, with a flurry of questions:

"I have heard of the objects, in fact. Set of nine... I can't recall who made them. Recently liberated from a dragon, if I'm not mistaken. Yours are the only two whose whereabouts are known. I haven't seen any pictures of these objects, do you know anything of the appearence of the others? I also assume you had a wizard look at them as part of the appeasing process, what was his analysis? Was there any magic radiating from the art other then simple illusion spells? How complicated was the illusion? How many senses did it affect? Did you ever have the objects in close proximity to one another? Were there any synergistic effects or did their behavior change at all? From whom did you buy them from? Did anyone show an unusual interest in them or know something about them which they should not? Do you suspect others of having parts of this collection? How did you two gentlemen meet?"

Sam takes a breath of air before continuing.

"Oh, and yes, I'll take the job. I'm a bit short on rent this month, and I'm between jobs currently."

OOC: Feel free to respond when you are ready to start, I'm in no rush =)

Also, have I ever heard of these folks? Are they just art collecters, or something more?

I have Knowledge (nobility),Knowledge (Geography),Knowledge (local), and Knowledge (history) all at +5 (plus other Knowledge skills, but these seem the relevent ones.)

Last edited:

Patlin

Explorer
The task we would hire you for would be to find the thieves, bring them to their rightful justice, and return the pieces they stole to us. We are willing to pay 6000 gold pieces, divided among you, for this."

"Where are we to return the artworks to? Will you be here, or at your estates?"

After receiving an answer from the previous question, "What else is known of these burglars? How did the artwork disappear? What are the perpetrator's names and descriptions?"

"We'll need as much information on the criminals and their methods as you have. Sketches would be usefull, as well."

Turning to the others, Banion sums up the mission as he understands it.

"I suppose we'll need to head to the city of Lathirn and snoop around some there, then track them to their likely lair in the wilderness."

Knight Otu

First Post
SlagMortar/Beamer said:
"Their names are Turlach and Deleth, and as to be expected from people of such low social rank, they have no last names. As I said, both are tall and bearded. Turlach has red hair, brown eyes, and a particularly long nose, while Deleth is distinguished by his blonde hair, blue eyes and a scar across his face. How the artwork disappeared - pure and simple, they betrayed our trust they earned in the years in our employ. They worked well, they were paid well, they had a better life than they could hope for, and still, they betrayed us."

Xaov/Azatoth said:
"How many pieces of this set are there exactly?

And do any of the others have special properties like the two mentioned?"
"No one is exactly certain how many there are, but many say there are nine pieces. It has been a long time since they were found, so besides the two we had, there is not much recorded. There was a collecter, from whom we got our two - he possessed one more of them until he vanished, the Dance of Souls Enamored, an exquisite facsimile of a large harp. It could not be played, yet it created the most beautiful musics, while angels, illusionary of course, flew around it. All of them are certain to somehow incorporate illusion magic. He never wanted to part with it, said he would take it with him on his move. We never found out where he went."

Airwhale/Sam said:
Recently liberated from a dragon, if I'm not mistaken. Yours are the only two whose whereabouts are known. I haven't seen any pictures of these objects, do you know anything of the appearence of the others? I also assume you had a wizard look at them as part of the appeasing process, what was his analysis? Was there any magic radiating from the art other then simple illusion spells? How complicated was the illusion? How many senses did it affect? Did you ever have the objects in close proximity to one another? Were there any synergistic effects or did their behavior change at all? From whom did you buy them from? Did anyone show an unusual interest in them or know something about them which they should not? Do you suspect others of having parts of this collection? How did you two gentlemen meet?"
After the barrage of questions posed by Sam, Seran takes a turn of answering, relieving Godo.
"Recently woold only be true from ze vantage point of ahn elf. Eet has been a lot of time since then, een fact. And during zat time, numeroos wizards and ozer sages examined ze Dance of Sools peeces zat were available. Zose records zat are available all say ze same - no ozer abilities beyond ze hauntingly beautyful illusions. As Godo explained, oor peeces were part of ahnozer collection, and zat man never encountered any synergetic effects.
Ahs for how ve met, as nobles, oor familees vere in contact long before our birz."

Airwhale said:
I have Knowledge (nobility),Knowledge (Geography),Knowledge (local), and Knowledge (history) all at +5 (plus other Knowledge skills, but these seem the relevent ones.)
(Must have missed the Nobility yesterday.)

(Knowledge (Nobility) on Godo of Diarun: 17+5=22)
[sblock]Against all odds, Godo is indeed a noble, if a minor one. He surprisingly was made the legitimate heir of his family by his father. Godo's family took a great hit when the illegitimate half-orc surprisingly was made the legitimate heir, and Godo works to repair the damage done this way. He is a collector of art, mostly statues, and a rival of Seran a'Larat in this pursuit. Godo possesses one piece of the Dance of Souls, a collection of art that incorporates illusion. He has long hoped to obtain Seran's piece, and vice versa, but these efforts were in vain so far.[/sblock]
(Knowledge (Nobility) on Seran a'Larat: 15+5=20)
[sblock]Seran a'Larat is a minor noble who collects art, especially paintings. He speaks a fake accent he claims to be noble, though he tends to lapse to normal speech at times, especially when angry. His wife is reputedly enchanted with a special painting in his gallery. She is rarely seen, and some whisper that she is insane.
Seran possesses one piece of the Dance of Souls, a collection of art that incorporates illusion. It is rumored that this is the picture his wife is enchanted with.
[/sblock]
(Knowledge (history): 20+5=25)
[sblock]While this area was known for many dragons, there haven't been any dragon sightings within 300 miles in centuries, and the Dance of Souls have gone through many hands during this time, so much that fact and legend are hard to seperate. While it is known that the dragon did not originally create the Dance of Souls, it is unknown who originally did so.[/sblock]

Patlin/Banion said:
"Where are we to return the artworks to? Will you be here, or at your estates?"
Godo motions to his servant, who pulls out a map of the surroundings of Orussus (see attachment). "We decided to meet you back at Seran a'Larats estate, in Ravensdale. My estate is farther away."

(OOC: Xaov, want to make Knowledge rolls as well?)

Attachments

• Orussus Region Map.jpg
    Orussus Region Map.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 115

Rose Marie comes slipping in the door, and slides along the back wall, standing on tip-toes to see who else is in here and what's going on. Since people are already talking, she stays quiet.

Knight Otu said:
(Quick OOC note - I think we should wait to see if Rose Marie wants to join the adventure as well; she may be away for the weekend.)

(OOC: Thanks so much, Knight. Yes, I was away from a keyboard for the weekend. But I am absolutely interested! *hugs* )

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases