Magic Item Saving Throws

Blue Sky

Explorer
I know, I must be completely blind, but I can't find any info on magic items making saves in the SRD. So, I was wondering if anyone could tell me where the relevant info could be found.

The exact situation that I'm asking about is in regards to Shatter. How is the saving throw bonus calculated when it is in someone's possession, and how is it calculated when it's just laying on the ground?

Thanks a bunch.

Last edited:

Seravin

Explorer
DMG 3.5 - pg 215 - Damaging Magic Items is the main source.

Unattended Items: Use their own saving throw.
Attended Items: Use their saving throw or their wielder's, whichever is better. Exception: Intelligent items use their own Will save even while attended (per the FAQ I seem to recall).

Magic Item saving throws are calculated at 2 + CL/2. The saving throw is used for all three types.

BAW

First Post
Eh?

I've just looked up the reference posted and found a slight difference.
Attended items:
A magic item doesn't need to make a saving throw unless it's unattended, specifically targeted by the effect, or it's wielder rolls a natural 1 on his save.

In all of those cases the items saving throw is half caster level of the creator +2.

Seravin

Explorer
Well, it wasn't an exact quote - I was paraphrasing what I thought were relevant bits.

Since Blue Sky said he wanted to know what happens when a magic item is targeted by a Shatter spell when held or unattended, I gave him the two answers - since in this case the magic item was specifically targeted by the spell.

The saving throw calculation I gave is correct: 2+ CL/2 would be my shorthand for 2 plus one-half the Caster Level. I should have noted it was the Caster Level of the magic item involved. :heh:

The only thing I'm not 100% sure on, is that intelligent items use their own Will save even while attended. I think it was in the FAQ, but I'm not certain. Maybe a Sage Advice.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases