How many Free Actions per round?

Bobbystopholes

First Post
How many free actions can a PC perform per round? I figure about 2. The PHB (pg. 121) states one or more per action, so I figure one while moving, one while attacking.

This would really pertain to a Heward's Handy Haversack and the Quick Draw feat.

Any one got a break down or another reference page in any of the books for me to look at?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
There are no rules except Rule 0. I generally allow any number as long as it isn't abused.

Note that limiting it to two will make throwing knives very hard.

mzsylver

Explorer
p. 121 PHB under Free Action:

"Free Actions consume a very small amount of time and effort... You can perform one or more free actions while taking another action normally. However, the DM puts reasonable limits on what you can really do for free..."

hence, ask your DM. with quickdraw you can draw two (with two weapon fighting). id let a pc with a Hewards draw maybe two more items... ie. maybe the pc is a dagger thrower.

good luck! =)

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
mzsylver said:
hence, ask your DM. with quickdraw you can draw two (with two weapon fighting). id let a pc with a Hewards draw maybe two more items... ie. maybe the pc is a dagger thrower.
What about the 16th level character who throws 7 daggers a round?

Bobbystopholes

First Post
There are items like the bandoleer and such for quickdrawing daggers and such. I'd personally rule that the 16th level character could yank out up to the maximum number held by a bandoleer.

I figured two for the Haversack cause you could possibly put both hands back at once, each pulling something out. Dropping your bow and grabbing your shield and mace, for instance. I couldn't see a 16th level fighter reaching into his haversack for 7 daggers though.

mzsylver

Explorer
CRGreathouse said:

What about the 16th level character who throws 7 daggers a round?

if they are a rogue, yes! :D (then again i have a soft spot for thieves)

otherwise... they'd have to beg and id probably give in.

Gromm

First Post
No limit unless the free action says there is (ie quickened spells and the like).
If you limit them then high level archers get a bit of a shaft as do throwing characters.
As a rule, spell like abilities get one shot a round, as do any other abilities that could create a unless loop of actions. Basically you can do as many as you want within reason, provided the rules don't specficially say you cant.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases