There is no moon.

mhensley

First Post
I was thinking that my new campaign world would not have a moon. How would this change things? What would the earth be like without the moon? For one thing, it sure would be dark at night. Maybe that would explain why so many creatures developed dark vision.

Psion

Adventurer
One the scientific front, I have heard speculation that:

- the chemical conditions for the creation of life arose due to tides, and/or
- the chemical conditions for the creation of life arose from the atmospheric conditions created during the collision that created the moon
- the wobble in the Earth's axis would be much more pronounced without a moon, resulting in much more dramatic climactic shifts over time.

The first two probably have no legs for a setting concept, but the third might.

Mystery Man

First Post
If the earth had no moon it wouldn't spin on an axis, its spin would wobble and tumble if it even spun at all. For instance our axis wobbles ever so slightly now because the moon has been pulling away from us steadily over the eons and will continue to do so. The spin will also grow slower as the moon pulls away.

mhensley

First Post
Mystery Man said:
If the earth had no moon it wouldn't spin on an axis, its spin would wobble and tumble if it even spun at all. For instance our axis wobbles ever so slightly now because the moon has been pulling away from us steadily over the eons and will continue to do so. The spin will also grow slower as the moon pulls away.

Hmmm, I just read somewhere that without the moon the earth would be rotating much faster than it is now. The days would only be something like 6-8 hours long.

JustKim

First Post
I think having one celestial body would set a tone for monotheistic religions. In the real world many pagan religions began with the sun and the moon as man and wife, which led to further celestial bodies (Planets, groupings of stars, comets and phenomena such as eclipses) as additional gods and goddesses. Of course, since D&D gods are inserted by the DM rather than invented by the populace, the process may not be important. It's just something that might fit.

Remove ads