• Guess!

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Any increase in HD increases CR proportionately

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • When Size of advanced creature increases

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • When creature gets additional feats from HD increase

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some other method (please describe in reply!)

Votes: 7 43.8%

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I'm afraid I can't track down the official word on this (and I don't know whether people are finding it works out in practice anyway...)

So how do YOU estimate CR when you advance a creatures HD? If a Vrock is CR 13 and you want to throw a Huge 24HD Vrock (maximum advancement) at them... what CR equivalent is that? Relatively how dangerous is it?

When you try to estimate the threat of advanced creatures what method do you use?

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
This can be found in the MM errata. It says:

"p. 14, Replace the Challenge Rating note with:
Each 50% increase to the creature's original HD increases the CR of a monster by 1. Doubling the HD raises the CR by 2. Tripling the HD raises the CR by 4."

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
When you try to estimate the threat of advanced creatures what method do you use?

First, I use the guidelines released in Dragon to get a rough number. Then there's playtesting. Lots and lots of playtesting.

milo

First Post
I don't like this method, I can't help but think of a 60 HD great red wyrm as a CR 26. Just guess at what you think is appropriate.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Thanks very much for the input. I couldn't find it in the MM and even though I had a cursory look in the DMG word-blindness afflicted me and I didn't see it.

Thanks.

(nb that 24HD vrock is CR17 by this estimation... I wonder how that pans out in practice?)

Remove ads