[PoA] So did anyone actually get the Crown?

valn

First Post
Hello!

Well I have been away for a while, and I've read that you have been trying new PWs.

But one thing I haven't seen is, if anyone actually found the Ascension Crown?
I know that months ago, Elendiel and one of the many incarnations of Youspoonybard were pretty high level, as were many others. And since then, I'd expect there would have been many more people to reach these heights.

I don't want any spoilers or details. Just if anyone "finished" PoA. (Well, assuming that, once you find the Crown, you have been pretty much everywhere.)

Thanks!

valn

Chaz

First Post
I probably would have but I stopped playing POA. Not sure about anyone else. But I suspect that Youspoonybard probably did. Not certain though.

Peace

Chaz

First Post
Sorry for the hi-jack, but why did you stop playing POA?
Old friends stopped playing ;)

Wasnt happy with some of the layout for advanced chars(was originaly designed for up to lev 20), although its good for low-med lev chars

really didnt like the design of how you had to get around to certain areas and buy items/use gold to travel. No real feel of being in an "open land" to travel. Had to much of a module constraint feel to it.

Thats basicaly it. To put it in perspective... I used to play a LOT of Ultima Online(5+ years). You could travel all over in the big world and it felt open and connected...alive almost. Modules tend to feel guided and fit to form.. go here. . then there.. etc.
What I look for in a PW is that open, go anywhere kind of feel. As though the world is just there and its open to all. You may die... but its there. Instead of the go to A then B to do C kind of thing. Now I realize none of this makes sense probably, but its the best I can do to explain it.

Chainmail(and seviss ive played a little bit on my computer offline now) has this open, alive landscape kind of feel. Looking forward to Chainmail if it gets updated.

Peace :)

Last edited:

valn

First Post
Hmm, not sure if Asmo was just asking Chaz...

But for me, I kind of overdosed on too much hack'n slash.

PoA does action very well and promotes cooperation between classes and players (can't think of another MOD in which you actually get more XP for a larger party).

In the end, I felt too much like I was in a race to keep up with the characters I adventured with (because of the 4 level leeching limit). And I was looking for a little more believability in a setting. I know Morrus tried to do that, but in the end, it would have required a complete revision of PoA...

All that said, I do miss the sheer spell power I had with Kebur and wouldn't mind doing one Grey Render run for old time's sake. ;)

Hmm, but am I to assume that no one found the Ascension Crown???

Anyway, Happy Holidays to everyone!

valn

J-Buzz

First Post
I reached 30th level with Lindy, and still had troubles killing some of the (so as not to spoil) mage. I knew I had tougher spots to go through so really have no chance to get it (as far as I can see).

youspoonybard seemed to think it would take a party of maxed between (38th and 40th leve) chars to get it. Not sure if anyone has though. but I have not.

Elendiel

First Post
No Crown yet

Nope, Elendiel didn't find the Crown. The last time we tried with Spoony, we ran into fights that were so difficult -- so silly, in fact -- that I gave up on the idea of succeeding with the kind of equipment that the module provides. (When your maxed out chars hit only once in a blue moon, on a natural 20 only, opponents who regenerate anyway, it's hard to find any pleasure playing.)

I tried other PWs in the meantime, built other chars, but I saw nothing that gives the same feeling of adventure + community + roleplaying that we strive to arrive at on the NWN server. I also had LOTS of work (I have to earn a living too, LOL), so that seriously cut back on my playing time.

That said, I have tried Chainmail, which I like, and the other one, which I disliked. I'm glad we're going to Chainmail, warts and all. Plus it's not carved in stone; if something better/less laggy comes around, we can try that. I have also downloaded the PoA module, with the intent to finish it with other superequiped, superdeveloped chars, in order to find out how it ends. ;)

See you on Chainmail, folks.

And Happy New Year, too!

-- Pierre-Paul

Celia_Gyweth

First Post
gosh, hi!

Elendiel said:
Nope, Elendiel didn't find the Crown. The last time we tried with Spoony, we ran into fights that were so difficult -- so silly, in fact -- that I gave up on the idea of succeeding with the kind of equipment that the module provides. (When your maxed out chars hit only once in a blue moon, on a natural 20 only, opponents who regenerate anyway, it's hard to find any pleasure playing.)

This kind of response to a mod bothers me. Why in the world would a party of high level charecters not be able to get through the main quest? It just seems absurd. I sorta of gave up on POA when I realized that soloing after 18th level was pointless (for several reasons), and I was really put off when groups of high level charecters came back to the main town, beat up, broken, and upset. Heh.

Elendiel said:
I tried other PWs in the meantime, built other chars, but I saw nothing that gives the same feeling of adventure + community + roleplaying that we strive to arrive at on the NWN server. I also had LOTS of work (I have to earn a living too, LOL), so that seriously cut back on my playing time.

Moving took away 3 months of my life. Yuck! And when I was able to come back to PoA, VERY few people were still there. Sigh. So I tried a couple of other servers, and man..PoA may be hard, but having well adjusted DM's and Admins, along with friendly base of users...well...that's really hard to find. I'm not sure how many folks here, who only visit the mod occasionally, realize how lucky we are to have Morrus, Nero and others as DM's and Admins. Example: One server, fun to play, big world...the head honcho was so hung up on pc's wearing any armor with pure black in it, they banned anyone having armor with any pure black in it. Including in-game dropped armor.

Elendiel said:
That said, I have tried Chainmail, which I like, and the other one, which I disliked. I'm glad we're going to Chainmail, warts and all. Plus it's not carved in stone; if something better/less laggy comes around, we can try that. I have also downloaded the PoA module, with the intent to finish it with other superequiped, superdeveloped chars, in order to find out how it ends. ;)

See you on Chainmail, folks.

And Happy New Year, too!

-- Pierre-Paul

Happy New Year to you too! Hope to see you in-game sometime soon :)

Greylock

First Post
Celia_Gyweth said:
I'm not sure how many folks here, who only visit the mod occasionally, realize how lucky we are to have Morrus, Nero and others as DM's and Admins.

You have singled out what makes the ENWorld server rock in my book. DMs and Admins who recognise that in the end, this is just a fun distraction, not an alternate life. Some servers I have tried refuse to allow fun to creep into the mix. Anyone who has trotted onto ENWorld late at night when someone like Neo is around will know what I mean :).

Celia_Gyweth said:
Example: One server, fun to play, big world...the head honcho was so hung up on pc's wearing any armor with pure black in it, they banned anyone having armor with any pure black in it. Including in-game dropped armor.

Good gosh, but that sounds an awful lot like the server that competed for my attention for a while. And everyone was extremely picky about RP, but only their definition of RP counted, which apparently includes a lot of fantasy procreation.

Last edited:

Remove ads