And here they are... Official Human 'Subraces'

Tarril Wolfeye

First Post
Well, it seems WotC finally caved in.

We present Exhibit A: Human Subraces (from Races of Destiny)

Human (of course)
Mongrelfolk
Sea kin
Sharakim
Skulk
Underfolk

and with a variant from the chapter on feats:
Half-Elves
Half-Orcs
Half-Ogres
Aasimar
Tiefling
Mechanatrix
Shyft
Genasi
Half-Celestial Human
Half-Fiend Human
Half-Dragon Human
etc.

Even without the variant that's 6 (six!) Human subraces.
:lol:

Zappo

Explorer
Shyft and Mechanatrix? I assume these are chaotic and lawful planetouched respectively. I dislike the names already...

Zappo said:
Shyft and Mechanatrix? I assume these are chaotic and lawful planetouched respectively. I dislike the names already...
Actually, I believe the Lawful and Chaotic planetouched were in MMII with different names...Shyft and Mecanatrix were in the Fiend Folio(I think...) and I truly don't remember what was different about them.

...of course, I could be all wrong here.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
The mongrelfolk have been around since at least 2nd edition. Of course, they were called mongrelmen back in the day, so I can understand the confusion. :p

Masquerade

First Post
Zappo said:

I believe they are planetouched related to the astral plane and mechanus, respectively.

Olorin

Into the West
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Actually, I believe the Lawful and Chaotic planetouched were in MMII with different names...Shyft and Mecanatrix were in the Fiend Folio(I think...) and I truly don't remember what was different about them.

...of course, I could be all wrong here.

You are not wrong. :)

Chaond and Zenythri are the chaotic and lawful planetouched respectively, from MMII.

Gez

First Post
Chaonds are kinda slaad-touched, descendant of people who were infected by blue slaadi but somehow resisted the disease just enough to remain partly what they were (and thus become sorta half-slaad).
Zenythri trace their ancestry to the Mercanes.
Mechanatrix are related to the living clockworks of Mechanus, the Modrons.
The Shyfts, for their parts, are the distant offspring of a "race native of the Ethereal" (haven't found out which) with humans.

And yes, the names kinda suck.

Tarril Wolfeye

First Post
First, all of these are now type Humanoid (Human):
Mongrelfolk
Sea kin
Sharakim
Skulk
Underfolk

Mongrelfolk are like in FF, but also get low-light vision, immunity to magical sleep, +1 save vs. Ench./Ill./Poison, +1 Appraise, Climb, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Spot, +4 Hide, Sleigh of Hand, and 'Diffuse Blood': +2 save vs. spell that are race-specific on human/halfling/dwarf/elf/gnome/goblin/orc

Sea kin are still air-breather who need water to survive (kinda like dolphins)

Sharakim are found at WotC's site

Skulk is found in FF

Underfolk are 'Underdark Humans'

Last edited:

Remove ads