Which is your favorite on-screen Star Trek captain?

Which is your favorite on-screen Star Trek captain?

• Willard Decker (U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • John Harriman, Jr. (U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-B)

• Edward Jellico (U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D)

Goodsport

Explorer
Though some of these choices were only officially captain of their listed starship for a short while, they nevertheless did hold that position (yes, on-screen).

So, which one is your favorite... and why? :)

-G

Goodsport

Explorer
Unfortunately, I couldn't find the name of the captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-J, so that's why his/her name wasn't included in the poll. :(

-G

Lord Pendragon

First Post
I voted Pickard, but only because I couldn't vote twice. Ben Sisko is right up there.

Pickard is the diplomat/intellectual captain. The thinking man's captain. I liked the dignity he brought to the role. He was commanding without always throwing his status in your face (as Janeway was wont to do.) He had a lot of character, and the writers managed to give him a lot of flavor over the years, a lot of depth. Many of the Pickard-oriented episodes were the most character-driven.

Ben Sisko has always struck me as James T. Kirk as portrayed by a good actor. He has a very stylized way of speaking, but it works. He's more a man of action than Pickard, but not without strategic excellence. And the spiritual edge they gave him through the Emissary story arc added a lot to his dramatic potential, as a man of science trapped in the role of a spiritual leader.

Goodsport

Explorer
There are three other on-screen captains that I had forgotten to mention:

• Clark Terrell (U.S.S. Reliant NCC-1846)

• Captain Styles (U.S.S. Excelsior NX-2000) - I couldn't find his first name anywhere

• Hikaru Sulu (U.S.S. Excelsior NCC-2000)

Sorry about the omissions. :(

-G

Elf Witch

First Post
I voted for Janeway because I liked the way she played a gusty female leader without having to give up her femininity. I felt that she really cared about her crew and was willing to go through hell to get them home.

My second favorite has to be Sisko and the tightrope he always walked between federation law and logic and Bajoran mystism.

And I will always have a soft spot for the first James T Kirk and his own special brand of cowboy diplomacy. If he was thrown to the Borg he wouldn't be running to the confrence room every few minutes to talk. ;)

mojo1701

First Post
Elf Witch said:
I voted for Janeway because I liked the way she played a gusty female leader without having to give up her femininity. I felt that she really cared about her crew and was willing to go through hell to get them home.

Sorta reminds me of Trekkies, what you said.

Last edited:

Wombat

First Post
For me, Ben Sisko is #1, followed closely by James T.

Sisko was, as far as I could see, the true ideal captain. He was a diplomat, a combat officer, an administrator, and also tried to balance his family life and his unexpected religious position. He did all this with a combination of aplomb, humour, dignity, grace, and tenacity that none of the others quite matched.

But Kirk was just fun, exciting, and he always got the alien babes :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases