Help with a Cleric Build

Barovan

First Post
Wow, I am posting here asking for help, I am usually a super lurker, reading all the stuff here and never offering my opinions. Well I am not offering a opinion here but asking for some advise.

Our DM is starting a FR game for us at 5th level and I want to plan my character out as far ahead as possible to avoid changing my mind in the middle or just making a poor build. I will be a playing a Human Male cleric of Ilmater from Impiltur in the Realms. I will the party Cleric. I want to be a atypical cleric of Ilmater, as I want to play the guy as agressive and more interested in ending the cause of suffering then helping those suffering. So I will have a martial bent the character. I do know that our adventures will include mostly dungeon crawls.

In the group we have a sword and shield type fighter, a dwarven thief and spirit folk sorceress. I want to be the "other fighter" and healer in the group. I want the cleric to be as martial as possible while not gutting my spell casting abilities. One idea I had to to Taked Augment Healing (Complete Divine) so I could use less healing spells. I am also looking at Strength and Suffering as my domains.

Here are the things that are set in stone (maybe):
Regional Feat: Disciplined
Primary weapons: Long Spear, Heavy Mace and Crossbow (light or heavy)

So if you all would be so kind, can I get some feat progressions and ideas on good spell combos.

Thank you all in advance!!!!!

Thanee

First Post
barovan said:
One idea I had to to Taked Augment Healing (Complete Divine) so I could use less healing spells. I am also looking at Strength and Suffering as my domains.

The domains certainly fit your idea. :)

Here are the things that are set in stone (maybe):

;)

Regional Feat: Disciplined
Primary weapons: Long Spear, Heavy Mace and Crossbow (light or heavy)

I wouldn't take Discipline, while it certainly is a good feat, it's hardly something you need as a cleric. Your Will save is already among the best and +2 to Concentration, while useful for defensive casting, isn't really worth it either.

Fleet of Foot is pretty good (especially if you are looking at full plate armor later), or Militia (better choice of weapons). But I'd rather concentrate on combat feats, since you don't have many, and you probably want a few to enhance your combat abilities.

Power Attack and Divine Might, if you can afford a decent Charisma, is pretty nice.
Later Quicken Spell is a must-have. Extend Spell is also pretty good.

Divine Metamagic (Quicken) is extremely powerful (a bit too much, if you ask me) as a cleric, but you - again - need a decent Charisma to get any use out of it.

If you have a decent Dexterity, you might want to think about Combat Reflexes, which is a complementary feat with that longspear.

Improved Initiative is also worth a look. Whenever you win initiative, you can better afford to cast a buff spell (Divine Power) at the start of combat, while moving forward.

Bye
Thanee

kjenks

First Post
I have a 16th level FR cleric in a similar role, but I chose the cleric archer path.

Lindeloff of the Bow
Elf (and damned proud of it)
Cleric of Solonor Thelandira (The Woodsmaster)
Domains: Elf, War (Longbow)

Feats:
1: Point Blank Shot (from Elf domain), Weapon Focus (from War domain), Rapid Shot
3: Extra Turning
6: Craft Wondrous Item
9: Quicken Spell
12: Power Attack
15: Divine Might

With a generous 32 point stat buy, I was able to have decent numbers in Str, Con, Cha, good Wis and excellent Dex. If I didn't have good enough stats, I'd switch out Power Attack and Divine Might for Divine Metamagic (Quicken) and Precise Shot.

Using Craft Wondrous Item, I crafted stat buff items and a Vest of Resistance on the cheap.

This has turned out to be an excellent combination. Since I stay in the back of the party anyway, I might as well have a good ranged weapon. I buff up my +1 Holy bow with Greater Magic Weapon and fire a whole lot of arrows. I have two pairs of Boots of Speed for 20 rounds of Haste per day. On tough foes, I burn a Turn attempt and use Divine Might.

LazerPointer

First Post
time for a dumb question, methinks....is this Divine Metamagic (Quicken) any different from the PHB Quicken Spell feat? edit: from the above post, i infer it is; what's the dif?

I don't think Discipline is that bad a choice, though the +2 concentration would be most useful in the early levels.

Take Dodge (not that useful) if you want to get Mobility: it's really useful if you've got to get to a party member w/ a cure spell in a hurry.

Spell Penetration is a huge help down the road.

Scribe Scroll is good as well.

Extend Spell is useful for all the cleric buffing spells.

Last edited:

Divine Metamagic feats work like Divine Might or Divine Shield. It allows you to spend Turn Undead attempts to achieve an alternate goal.

Specifically, Divine Metamagic (Quicken) lets you spend ... 4? ... Turn Undead attempts to spontaneously quicken a spell.

Kilroy

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Divine Metamagic feats work like Divine Might or Divine Shield. It allows you to spend Turn Undead attempts to achieve an alternate goal.

Specifically, Divine Metamagic (Quicken) lets you spend ... 4? ... Turn Undead attempts to spontaneously quicken a spell.

Divine Metamagic, Persistent Spell and Extra Turning play really nicely together.

green slime

First Post
Divine Vigour is an excellent feat: as a martial cleric in heavy armour, adding a boost of +10 to your base speed and +2 hp/level, means you are no longer a slave to 20ft/move. The difference is huge.

Divine Metamagic is expensive in Turning attempts, and feat aquisition. You can probably only squeeze out one Quickened Spell per day, perhaps two. Clerics really do not have feats out the wazoo. IMO, it is too expensive. You only have 3 feats to pick!!

Divine Might (1st)
Power Atack (Human)
Weapon Focus, (3rd)
Leadership (6th)
Extend Spell (9th)

If you have access to the BoED, you might like to give Intuitive Attack the look over: a Finesse for Wisdom.

kmdietri

Explorer
As Killroy Stated above I like Extend spell, Divine Metamagic (Quicken), and Extra Turning.

I'd go with a cleric who wields a Quarterstaff (I think this would work for Ilmater).

I'd use the spells Spikes, Divine Power, and Divine Favour.

Also as an aside. I was under the impression Divine Metamagic took 1 turn attempt +1 turn attempt/level bump of the metamagic feat.

So for Quicken I thought it was 5 turn attempts.

WCrawford

First Post
kmdietri said:
As Killroy Stated above I like Extend spell, Divine Metamagic (Quicken), and Extra Turning.

I'd go with a cleric who wields a Quarterstaff (I think this would work for Ilmater).

I'd use the spells Spikes, Divine Power, and Divine Favour.

Also as an aside. I was under the impression Divine Metamagic took 1 turn attempt +1 turn attempt/level bump of the metamagic feat.

So for Quicken I thought it was 5 turn attempts.

Don't forget that the feat has been errated to include the feat to be emulated by Divine Metamagic as a prerequisite.

Remove ads