Ashy's Oathbound Campaign II, OOC [FULL]

Ashy

First Post
Ferrix - are you gonna reply on the IC thread? :p

Also, what do the lot of you think about this, which was a statement that Ferrix had about the game. :)

"About the Oathbound game, feel sort of odd bringing this up, but with the way things are going, it feels like we're slightly underequipped for what we're dealing with. Maybe that's just the way it's coming up, but with such a powerful patron (apparently a 1d8+25 clw potion would have to have a powerful creator) I'm surprised we're not as properly equipped as we could be."

Last edited:

Ashy

First Post
What do you guys think - is this balanced?

Radiant Wings
Evocation [Light, Good]
Level: Cleric 4
Components: V,S,DF
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 10 min./level

This spell causes a pair of wings formed of the purist heavenly radiance to
sprout from the creatures back.

These wings are insubstantial letting them pass through physical objects, but
still allowing the creature to fly at a speed of 60 feet (good) while carrying
no more than a light load. The creature can ascend at half speed and descend
at double speed, and can charge (but not run) while flying.

The radiance of these wings sheds a holy light in a 30 foot radius which dazzles
those of evil alignment who look upon the creature.

Should the spell duration expire while the subject is still aloft, the magic
fails slowly. The subject floats downward 60 feet per round for 1d6 rounds
surrounded by motes of the heavenly light. If it reaches the ground in that
amount of time, it lands safely, if not it falls the rest of the distance.
Since dispelling a spell effectively ends it, the subject also descends in this
way if the radiant wings spell is dispelled, but not if it is negated by an
antimagic field.

hafrogman

Adventurer
oooh oooh, can I join this game?

Oh, wait. . . dang, I'm already in it :(

... nevermind me, just being wierd.

Hmmm, spell looks fine to me, but I'm hardly an expert in such matters. Light + Flight. . . I assume just the wings are incorporeal, and that it doesn't make the subject intangible as well.

Regarding Ferrix's comment:

Well, I guess the characters were designed according to the old Kahuna Burger game, when we were just another group of people being sucked into this world. We are under funded for our level in exchange for higher base stats as Kahuna liked her games. However, the premise of the game changed with the new DM. Realistically if you could send anyone to try and stop the flock, you'd gather a bunch of epic level uber rich characters who were bored and send them. :)

However, there a bunch of plausable explainations as to why we might be outfitted as we are.

-Are we meant to succeed or fail? Could we just be a diversionary tactic for the REAL party?

-Perhaps there was a limit to the amount of magical energy that could be sent with us without attracting the attention of unfriendly forces (the guy who knicks your stuff when you arrive)

-Perhaps our sender isn't that powerful, and the potions of healing started out as normal, but something in the sending process heightened them just as all our senses now give a "heightened experience". Perhaps the potions just work better because they taste more "heal"-y.

Ferrix

Explorer
IC post up...

yeah the wings are incorporeal (being literally light) but don't make the character incorporeal.

My opinion I think is already up with Ashy posting my comment. Mostly it came in response to the fact that we're about 1/2 the normal wealth.

Vendetta

First Post
I'm not concerned. I often run my games under the suggested wealth levels and it works out fine as long as the DM is aware of the disproportionate AC to attack bonus that results and makes adjustments. I personally make sure my villains/monsters don't have better than 10+ to hit on a d20 on average (grunts less chanced, bosses a better chance) and am sure to add a bit extra AC granting items to keep up. So, I don't really pay too much attention to it.

If we are way underpowered (I've been in games like that) I just feel like the GM likes it that way... and it does really add drama as every battle really is life and death. So that is fun. I tend not to like games where the PCs are VERY powerful and go stomp-a-thon all over everyone. (Though, again, after really tough battles, I like to let the group stomp some lame-o critters to bolster their confidence again.)

anyway, I've not really thought too much about it in this game so it's probably not extreme enough for me to notice.

Voadam

Legend
I'm happy with high stats and less starting items, we are doing fine against our opponents so far (although the bird woman fled before I could take her down, the coward) and I don't expect any artificial adjustments besides what happens naturally in the campaign. I can see us getting some loot from these asherake such as that wand (although PC might be the only one able to use that) and I don't feel out of sorts about the magic item wealth of the party.

My only concern is that we are a little directionless, our big mission is so overwhelming that I can't really see little steps for us to take besides gathering info on the power groups of the forge and seeking out info on the flock.

Of course Kyron only took up this mission because it fits into his crusade against Evil and he will happily deal with immediate problems that cross his path or even be diverted from the mission if there are other problems he feels he needs to address as a champion of good and confronter of evil.

Voadam

Legend
Ashy said:
What do you guys think - is this balanced?

Radiant Wings
Evocation [Light, Good]
Level: Cleric 4
Components: V,S,DF
Casting Time: 1 round
Target: Creature touched

This spell causes a pair of wings formed of the purist heavenly radiance to
sprout from the creatures back.

These wings are insubstantial letting them pass through physical objects, but
still allowing the creature to fly at a speed of 60 feet (good) while carrying
no more than a light load. The creature can ascend at half speed and descend
at double speed, and can charge (but not run) while flying.

The radiance of these wings sheds a holy light in a 30 foot radius which dazzles
those of evil alignment who look upon the creature.

Should the spell duration expire while the subject is still aloft, the magic
fails slowly. The subject floats downward 60 feet per round for 1d6 rounds
surrounded by motes of the heavenly light. If it reaches the ground in that
amount of time, it lands safely, if not it falls the rest of the distance.
Since dispelling a spell effectively ends it, the subject also descends in this
way if the radiant wings spell is dispelled, but not if it is negated by an
antimagic field.

from the srd

Dazzled: The creature is unable to see well because of overstimulation of the eyes. A dazzled creature takes a –1 penalty on attack rolls, Search checks, and Spot checks.

Compared to the fourth level cleric spell air walk it seems just better except for the light load restriction. I'm not sure if that means light armor max. If so then yes, it seems balanced to me.

Air Walk
Transmutation [Air]
Level: Air 4, Clr 4, Drd 4
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Target: Creature (Gargantuan or smaller) touched
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
The subject can tread on air as if walking on solid ground. Moving upward is similar to walking up a hill. The maximum upward or downward angle possible is 45 degrees, at a rate equal to one-half the air walker’s normal speed.
A strong wind (21+ mph) can push the subject along or hold it back. At the end of its turn each round, the wind blows the air walker 5 feet for each 5 miles per hour of wind speed. The creature may be subject to additional penalties in exceptionally strong or turbulent winds, such as loss of control over movement or physical damage from being buffeted about.
Should the spell duration expire while the subject is still aloft, the magic fails slowly. The subject floats downward 60 feet per round for 1d6 rounds. If it reaches the ground in that amount of time, it lands safely. If not, it falls the rest of the distance, taking 1d6 points of damage per 10 feet of fall. Since dispelling a spell effectively ends it, the subject also descends in this way if the air walk spell is dispelled, but not if it is negated by an antimagic field.
You can cast air walk on a specially trained mount so it can be ridden through the air. You can train a mount to move with the aid of air walk (counts as a trick; see Handle Animal skill) with one week of work and a DC 25 Handle Animal check.

Remove ads