Death Knight, 17th level, need advice...

smetzger

Explorer
Ok, so I am joining a high level evil campaign. I need to build a 17th level (e.g. total level adj 22) Death Knight.

I was thinking Fighter 6/Blackguard 10/ Something else 1 (maybe Weapon Master).

I have 2 million gp to spend. I can choose stuff out of the ELH, but it needs to be CL <= 20. All 3.5 WOTC books are in, and other stuff is in as per DM review.

So, what feats should I choose and what Magic items should I choose?

*:> Scott

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Any chance you can use the DL Death Knight? They are much better.

(If you do use that might also consider a level in mystic for necromancy domain)

Scion

First Post
Personally I'd probably go 17th level psychic warrior or some combination of psychic warrior/warmind/psychic weapon master (the latter for some massive whirlwind effects and the first for just a great degree of protection to your various vulnerabilties).

If you like that I can put up a few interesting builds, cant help with the blackguard though ;)

Remember, you cant go wrong with a massive form of doom and psionic lions charge to really smite those good guys.

Scion

First Post
Actually, thinking about it, a 17th level warloc might really fit in well with that. Pick up incantations to mesh out your abilities. An unholy terror indeed.

Does a Fighter 6 qualify for Blackguard?

I don't think it does, since Blackguard requires 5 ranks in Hide. A Fighter 6 can only have 4.5 ranks in Hide. You'd have to be Fighter 7 before taking your first Blk level.

smetzger

Explorer
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Does a Fighter 6 qualify for Blackguard?

I don't think it does, since Blackguard requires 5 ranks in Hide. A Fighter 6 can only have 4.5 ranks in Hide. You'd have to be Fighter 7 before taking your first Blk level.

Ooh, dang your right. I guess I could burn a feat to make Hide a class skill.

Scion - I am not really up on psionics, and don't want to play one. Warlock would be interesting, but there is already a couple of dedicated spell casters in the group. What the group doesn't have is a tank.

Nightfall - Yes, I am using the Dragonlance template :)

I have figured out how to overcome my major weakness (Holly Word)...

Slotted (not sure what the slot will be) Greater Spell Immunity (4 spells 8th lvl or less Holy Word, Heal, Disintegrate, 384Kgp) So, I need one more spell to be immune to. Ideas?

Oh, yeah did I mention I can have custom magic items via the rules for creating items? :eek:

Actually, instead of taking a 'something else' for one level after you're finished with Blackguard, you could just add in one more level of Fighter to meet the Hide requirement.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
My advice, go levels in Aristrocrat, Knight of the Lily with levels in assassin. Or just fighter/Knight of the Lily/Blackguard

Just a few ideas.

(And good for you using DLCS Deathknights. They are better. :) )

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
smetzger said:
I have 2 million gp to spend. I can choose stuff out of the ELH, but it needs to be CL <= 20. All 3.5 WOTC books are in, and other stuff is in as per DM review.

So, what feats should I choose and what Magic items should I choose?

I know this is a lot, but you should consider spending 200,000 gp for a belt of magnificence (+6 version). This is a non-epic wondrous item from the Miniatures Handbook (which is a 3.5 book). It grants +6 to all of your ability scores (though, being undead, it won't do anything for your Constitution).

I also suggest you take the Improved Toughness feat from Libris Mortis, which grants you +1 hit point per hit die. You already meet the sole prerequisite of having a base Fortitude save of +2 or more.

Last edited:

Remove ads