Music Tastes

MrFilthyIke

First Post
I listen to everything in the world....metal, rap, techno, goth, industrial, classical, world music, new wave, bluegrass, soul, funk, blah, blah, blah...execpt modern country music...after the early 80's.

Now, as to who I njoy the most LIVE in concert...it's gotta be heavy and intense.

Like: GWAR!!

Torm

Explorer
Welverin said:
You need to see a doctor, because clearly you've suffered a terrible head injury.
Actually, this is true - I was in a wreck when I was 15 that resulted in some pretty nasty damage when my head left an impression in the back sliding door of an older Chevy van. I suffered an estimated 25-30% of what they call "Total Person Damage", and my doctors said anyone else they had ever seen with damage like I had spent the rest of their lives hospitalized in a vegetative state. Fortunately, I was intelligent beyond their ability to properly measure (their words, not mine) and apparently stored information in multiple patterns, so I had a sort of built in redundancy that most people wouldn't.

I spent quite a while after the wreck having memory problems, including occasional bouts of temporary regressive amnesia, most of which I had worked out within about a year. But I still have very rare times when I will kind of freeze up, because I will recover a memory that I haven't been able to since the wreck and it seems as vivid as living through whatever it is, again. (It is a good thing my cerebellum is an excellent driver. :heh: ) And, (and you'll probably laugh and call BS at this point, but it is all true) I have a very strange lingering problem - ANY time I remember ANYTHING that ever happened at a Wal-Mart from before the wreck, my memory always places that Wal-Mart in Springfield, MO, even if that is completely impossible. A brief mental review of what stores were around that Wal-Mart and where THAT stuff was usually clears it up.

But, going back and listening to mix tapes I made before the wreck, I really don't think it has much to do with my taste in music. And I've already seen several doctors. But thanks for your concern, and amazingly accurate over-the-net diagnosis. :p

Welverin said:
Or to put it another way, this cover is so bad it makes me like the original less.
I didn't put it at #20 because it is just the most awesome thing evar, I put it there as I thought it compared to other non-indie-and-had-a-snowball's-chance-of-charting stuff released in 2004. The original is the one that is on a CD in my car as I type this. ;)

Welverin

First Post
Torm said:
I didn't put it at #20 because it is just the most awesome thing evar, I put it there as I thought it compared to other non-indie-and-had-a-snowball's-chance-of-charting stuff released in 2004. The original is the one that is on a CD in my car as I type this. ;)

See, #20 makes sense, as long as it's from the bottom.

JIMBOTHEBLACK

First Post
I like: hard rock, soft rock, metal, death metal, alternative rock, punk rock, acid rock rock, more rock and any rock genre I might have missed. I also like: jazz, blues, and rock. I hate: country, disco, 80's hair garbage, rap, and I especially hate pre-packaged mindless soulless F****** pop music "F*** you I won't do what you tell me!" Rage against the Machine

Blue Sky

Explorer
I'm gonna have to go against the trend here, but I'm a pop junkie. Eminem, Ashley Simpson, JoJo, it's all good. As long as it's on MTV, I probably like it, but my favorites are definately Em and Linkin Park (but not that disgusting crud they did with Jay-Z).

JIMBOTHEBLACK

First Post
Blue Sky said:
I'm gonna have to go against the trend here, but I'm a pop junkie. Eminem, Ashley Simpson, JoJo, it's all good. As long as it's on MTV, I probably like it, but my favorites are definately Em and Linkin Park (but not that disgusting crud they did with Jay-Z).
Jay-z couldn't have made Linkin Park That much worse and MTV sucks I WIN!!

ghettognome

First Post
I tend towards electonica, but I love metal, rock, some alternative.
A few favs in my collection
Assemblage 23 (failure)
The Union Underground (An Education in Rebellion)
Felix Da Housecat (Kittenz and thee Glitz)
Loreena McKennitt (the visit)
Paul Simon (a bunch of albums)
Juno Reactor (Beyond the Infinite, Bible of Dreams)
Primus (Frizzle Fry)
Chicago (the soundtrack)
Rob Zombie (both of his albums)
Metallica (anything before Load)
Haujobb
VNV Nation
U2 (the new album)
I think those are the recent ones I have been listening to.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
nakia said:
I am desperately searching for some good rap/hip-hop. In high school, I listenend to a lot of it -- De la Soul, Ice Cube, Ice-T, Public Enemy. But I have not really explored rap/hip-hop in a long time. I like Jay-Z's stuff, but don't own an album. Any suggestions? I think I would like Nas, or maybe even Kanye West

My wife watches MTV and Listen to the radio so I get to see what passes for mainstream Hip-Hop and it pretty much sucks. Well maybe sucks is too harsh of a word, it's more like Hip-Pop instead of Hip-Hop. Mostly my iPod's Hip-Hop playlist is filled with tracks and groups from a few years back as most of the recent stuff isnt to my liking.

If you can track down FUNCRUSHER PLUS by COMPANY FLOW that'd be a good start. In the hip-hop underground it's pretty much considered a classic (at least here on the east coast...) You might want to track down:
THE COLD VEIN by CANNIBAL OX
I PHANTHOM by MR LIF
BLACK ON BOTH SIDES by MOS DEF
BLACK STAR by BLACK STAR (Mos Def & Talib Kweli)
LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE by COMMON
LYRICIST LOUNGE Vol 1
SOUNDBOMBING (various artists, most of which can only be found on vinyl including two early tracks by Mos Def, several underground classics on this joint. I actually have a bunch of thses on vinyl and they are HARD to find)
SOUNDBOMBING II
DE LA SOUL IS DEAD and STAKES IS HIGH by DE LA SOUL (S=slept on classics)
THE LOW END THEORY, MIDNIGH MARAUDERS, PEOPLES INSTINCTIVE TRAVELS ON THE PATHS OF RYTHMS by A TRIBE CALLED QUEST (these 3 are definitive Hip-hop classics)

I usually dont recommend Jay-Z as I think he's a big part of what's wrong with the current state of hip hop right now, but if you can get your hands on the Danger Mouse remix of Jay-Z's BLACK ALBUM (callled the GRAY ALBUM) that's a good one. It's only available as a bootleg on line though...

Despite what most people think there are actually quite a few very good hip-hop albums out there, the problem is that people see the stuff that's ojn BET and MTV and think that's ALL hip-hop is. Which is about as dumb as venturing onto RPG.Net and thinking that lot represents all gamers...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases