Polyhedral Dice in Everyday Life

Brain

First Post
The trainers at the gym where I work out are very friendly and creative. A couple of days ago they were talking about how they could roll dice for random workouts for people and I overheard. I talked to one of them and brought in a d10 for them today to use. They made a chart and I was the first person to roll on it and do the workout. I just thought it was cool and wondered if the rest of you have brought polyhedral dice (other than d6) into use in your everyday life outside of gaming.

Anybody done it or have a good suggestion for someone else or want to try it?

Humanophile

First Post
I have a geek-ish friend who doesn't game, but has enough contact with the subculture to be less-than-ignorant. I gave her a D20 just so she could actually have one. I don't know if that counts as non-gaming or not, though.

I also know someone really into crafts, who thought that sparkly dice looked pretty and asked me to get her some. I have no idea if they became jewelry, or who wore them if they did, but the basic concept's there at least.

RichCsigs

First Post
I belonged to a D&D group that had a "random pizza toppings generator" that was based off a d8. It included a "special" catagory for things like "hawaiian" and "klingon pie" (garlic, onions and anchovies).

Angcuru

First Post
Criminals could sharpen d4s and use them as caltrops to slow down the coppers. But for that to be everyday, you'd have to be a gangster or something.

Elton

First Post
When I was in the navy (more years ago than I care to admit), in electronics school. I used a D4 for multiple choice tests. Was great for the questions I had no idea on. And just to be really obnoxious, I rolled on every answer whither I knew it or not. Drove the instructors nuts, because I routinly scored 95-98%

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Brain said:
I just thought it was cool and wondered if the rest of you have brought polyhedral dice (other than d6) into use in your everyday life outside of gaming.

Hm. I haven't managed to even bring the more common six-siders into my everyday life, much less the less common polyhedrals. Just don't have all that much need for random numbers, I guess.

knitnerd

First Post
Brain said:
The trainers at the gym where I work out are very friendly and creative. A couple of days ago they were talking about how they could roll dice for random workouts for people and I overheard. I talked to one of them and brought in a d10 for them today to use. They made a chart and I was the first person to roll on it and do the workout. I just thought it was cool and wondered if the rest of you have brought polyhedral dice (other than d6) into use in your everyday life outside of gaming.

Anybody done it or have a good suggestion for someone else or want to try it?

I use my dice in knitting all the time. A D20 makes a good row counter. Just turn it over whenever you finish a row. When I had to add beads randomly to a sweater, I rolled a D10 and knit that number of stitches between beads.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Sometimes when I am in a mood to watch a movie or something, but I dont know what I want to watch I roll a couple of dice to find the category of the movie:

1D8 =
1 - Western
2 - Horror
3 - Fantasy
4 - Science Fiction
5 - Super-Hero (X-Men, Spiderman, Superman....)
6 - TV Series
7 - Comedy
8 - Animated

Then I roll on a subchart and that determines the specific target.

Xath

Moder-gator
Our group will use dice when we can't come to an agreement on something...

Evens Applebee's, odds Five Guys

1-2 "Ocean's 12", 3-4 "Life Aquatic", 5-6 "Spanglish"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases