Chemistry/Math help

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Okay, this is not really a chemistry problem, but it is in homework for my chemistry class. What does this question mean?

"Express the slope of a line as a unitary rate."

I think it is reffering to the slope of the line of the graph that I still need to find. but what does the question mean?

msd

First Post
Galeros said:
Okay, this is not really a chemistry problem, but it is in homework for my chemistry class. What does this question mean?

"Express the slope of a line as a unitary rate."

I think it is reffering to the slope of the line of the graph that I still need to find. but what does the question mean?

Haven't taken math or chem in approximately 20 years so probably best to disregard the following advice, but just for laughs... :p

Maybe it means that you need to state the fraction (or whatever) that describes the slope of the line. In other words, if for every unit of increase in X, there is a 2 unit increase in Y, the answer might look something like 1/2.

Sound right? Don't you just have to solve for the slope?

Ah...don't listen to me...majored in lit

A line graph will have a constant slope of X, and X is what you need to find, but you have to find the "unit" of that line, ie "miles/second", "grams/cm³" or "furlongs/lux".

What's the rest of the problem?

AR

Edit: I'm a lit major too! You've gotten 2 math answers from 2 lit majors! (I majore in math too, tho)

And, msd, that's a slope :) There are 2 things that describe a line graph. Its slope and the value of "Y" when X = 0 (I can't remember the name in english. In french it's l'ordonnée à l'origine)

AR

Last edited:

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Altamont Ravenard said:
A line graph will have a constant slope of X, and X is what you need to find, but you have to find the "unit" of that line, ie "miles/second", "grams/cm³" or "furlongs/lux".

What's the rest of the problem?

AR

Edit: I'm a lit major too! You've gotten 2 math answers from 2 lit majors! (I majore in math too, tho)

And, msd, that's a slope :) There are 2 things that describe a line graph. Its slope and the value of "Y" when X = 0 (I can't remember the name in english. In french it's l'ordonnée à l'origine)

AR

Well, the previous problem is finding the slope of the line, which I cant figure out how to do, I know the formula, but can not apply it to the graph. Ummm, well what I am measuring was in grams, so maybe that is it.:)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Galeros said:
Well, the previous problem is finding the slope of the line, which I cant figure out how to do, I know the formula, but can not apply it to the graph. Ummm, well what I am measuring was in grams, so maybe that is it.:)

The slope of a line is "rise/run". For a section of the line, find how far it goes up (or down). This is the "rise" (often called "change in Y"). For the same section of line, find how much horizontal distance is covered. This is the "run" (often called "change in X"). Take the ratio of rise/run to find the slope.

When I hear "as a unitary rate", I think "the slope expressed with a denominator of 1", or how far the thing rises for every single unit along the X axis..

If the line goes up two squares for every three squares it goes across, it has a slope of 2/3. As a unitary rate, that would be 0.66667.

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Mercule said:
Let us know, please. Umbran's answer was my first reaction, but I think I prefer Altamonts.

Err, I will. :D :p

Man, Chemistry is going to suck for me. :(

Not too mention I have got a plague on the bubonic test tomorrow in my AP European History class. :confused:

Last edited:

tarchon

First Post
It's probably a very odd way of saying "express the slope of the line in terms of Y-axis units over the X-axis time units," like 50 mL/minute or so. Presumably you have some sort of graph of some quantity vs. time, and the rate is the slope of the line in that graph.

tarchon

First Post
Altamont Ravenard said:

"Intercept"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases